Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #31
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
My K1 looks really bad now compared to my DXG - I can't imagine ever wanting to use it again. Fortunately, I do 95+% of my reading at home, so I'm not really worried about schlepping the DXG much farther than from the living room to the bedroom.

I'd planned to keep the K1 for a back up, but after reading on the DXG it seems actually hard to read the K1, so I think I'll probably sell it, if there's still a market for the K1s.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #32
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
You guys got me drooling, I ll pull the trigger soon too, I am just waiting it out a bit to see when Sony will bring along their version of a 9.7 screen newer better contrast display, or should I say if instead of when.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #33
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I think we probably won't see a Sony large screen model until first of second quarter next year. I think it is definitely a matter of when.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #34
rclott
rclott began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
M-Angum:

Great review. I just received my DXG and will be using it for exactly the same purposes.

By the way, I just tested a PDF document with and without margin trimming (using Acrobat). I can see no difference at all. On further inspection, my default zoom setting was to "fit the page" to the screen, which effectively trimmed the margins for me.

Also, took it to dinner with me on the way home, and even though I normally read right handed, I needed my right hand to eat my soup. So i just flipped the reader upside down, so the page-turn button was on the left, and the text automatically flipped over (like going to landscape mode).

I was worred about some proprietary data sheets which were released under an NDA, watermarked, and are "secured" PDF files (not quite sure what that means). But so far all data sheets are readable without a problem on the DXG. I'll have to try your Xilinx examples for my next project, right now focusing on some NXP microprocessors and a complex Analog Devices chip!

I thought I would want to zoom in, like I do with my Sony PRS-700 when I read novels. But I found the contrast was so great, even with my aging eyes I could read most things very clearly even without reading glasses.

BTW, the DXG paid for itself, because I was about to go have nearly 1500 pages worth of various data "sheets" (books, actually) printed at the local printshop. I realized the combined printing cost would just about pay for the ereader, so I bit the bullet...
rclott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #35
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclott View Post
M-Angum:

By the way, I just tested a PDF document with and without margin trimming (using Acrobat). I can see no difference at all. On further inspection, my default zoom setting was to "fit the page" to the screen, which effectively trimmed the margins for me.
I would only add that the difference between cropping margins and not is only important for documents whereby the page number (or other unimportant information) is printed within the margin: in such cases the Kindle is unable to crop this efficiently. It would be very helpful if the cropping could have an additional "smart"/advanced option cutting out such information (ie. if there are only 3-4 letters per line, interpret it as information to crop)
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #36
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have not looked at my K1 since my DXG arrived. I fear what will happen if I ever need to use it again. No folders and the contrast difference is going to be painful.

I see my K1 as reader for my niece and nephews when they visit.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #37
dimas_xp
dimas_xp began at the beginning.

Device: not yet
I am going to use device for reading hard pdf - scanned journals (all pages are pictures, no ocr). The size of such pdf is about 100Mb. Can Kindle DX operate with sich hard files, how it's comfortable?
Can you a try one such pdf?
dimas_xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 AM   #38
kindlematic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimas_xp View Post
I am going to use device for reading hard pdf - scanned journals (all pages are pictures, no ocr). The size of such pdf is about 100Mb. Can Kindle DX operate with sich hard files, how it's comfortable?
Can you a try one such pdf?
If you post a link one such file, I can try to test it...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #39
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Thank you so much for the input! I have been trying to decide between the DX and Kindle 2. I am confident that DX is the right choice for me now, and I can hardly wait to order it. Sadly we have rule in our house that is holding me back for one more week =(. We avoid buying anything that is over 100.00 until we have had at least ten days to think it over. Helps my husband and I avoid impulse buys.... however I find myself wishing to break the rules just once. Now I wish I didn't make him wait for the playstation 3....
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #40
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I'm in a similar situation. We must be strong now!!
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #41
dimas_xp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlematic View Post
If you post a link one such file, I can try to test it...
could you please try this http://depositfiles.com/files/88gp9qhwm or this http://rapidshare.com/files/41113268...-september.pdf
Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #42
dimas_xp

how does text look, when it's above picture or some coloured frame? Is it acceptable for reading in this case?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #43
kindlematic
Enthusiast

I tried the two magazines, but the text doesn't look good enough to be read without magnification. And even then, it's rather low-definition, because of the pages being scanned. This is probably due to the way the pages are scanned, particularly in the case of the UK magazine. Other magazines I have access to delivered in pdf format are fine, although not "perfect", due to lack of sufficient contrast with some fonts.