Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
@windowsrefund yes it is non of your business what I do with MY paid for content.
When you're infecting my community with tolerance for DRM (using, stripping, accepting), it becomes my business. That's what an eco-system is all about. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Teaching people how to work with DRM is not healthy or respectable since it essentially puts other parties in complete control rather than the user. It is far more honorable to teach others why DRM is not something that should be endured to begin with. The best way to do that is obviously by example. When you teach people how to circumvent the controls put in place by DRM, you're essentially teaching them how to be little criminals and adding credibility to Big Content's claims that we're all just a bunch of little "pirates" who need to be controlled, monitored, and prosecuted.

In fact, Big Content loves that people crack DRM. It gives them all the justification they need to lobby for more protection and backing from our government.

Still think this issue is as petty as a little Internet forum flame? If so, get your head out of your !$!!@#$! and wake up. This is about control; who has it and who does not. Do you think you have it because you're holding a license from a particular vendor? Think again.
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I just had my ADE count reset and what I was told is I can authorize 6 PC's for ADE install and 6 devices (mobile) for a total of 12. As for setting up a new account. I don't know what they use to correlate the accounts but I opened two other accounts with different name variance and different emails but they were still brought in under the control of the same main account hence the request for reset via CS.

It's too bad that the end user cannot manage his quota via their (Adobe's) web site. I don't mean access to the encryption key or method but the actual count and which devices are active. Just like Amazon does with their Kindle products be it physical device or logical.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 02-10-2011 at 11:39 AM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 02-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
When you're infecting my community with tolerance for DRM (using, stripping, accepting), it becomes my business. That's what an eco-system is all about. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Teaching people how to work with DRM is not healthy or respectable since it essentially puts other parties in complete control rather than the user. It is far more honorable to teach others why DRM is not something that should be endured to begin with. The best way to do that is obviously by example. When you teach people how to circumvent the controls put in place by DRM, you're essentially teaching them how to be little criminals and adding credibility to Big Content's claims that we're all just a bunch of little "pirates" who need to be controlled, monitored, and prosecuted.

In fact, Big Content loves that people crack DRM. It gives them all the justification they need to lobby for more protection and backing from our government.

Still think this issue is as petty as a little Internet forum flame? If so, get your head out of your !$!!@#$! and wake up. This is about control; who has it and who does not. Do you think you have it because you're holding a license from a particular vendor? Think again.
Good luck with your crusade. Personally, I'll continue to buy the books I love, regardless of DRM or not, remove the DRM, and have the best of both worlds. Hmmm, after that, seems like I'll have control of my purchases anyway...
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #19
KevinH
Guru
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi All,

Just a friendly reminder ...

That "ignore" list thing can be found under "User CP" and then look at the left side under "Settings & Options" and select "Edit Ignored Users". Of course, you can also simply click on "windowsrefund" and a pop up menu will allow you to easily add him/her to your own ignore list/

It really works!

Now if we can just get people to stop quoting him then no one ever has to see or read anything he says.

A simply wonderful feature.

Thank you MobileRead!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Just because you/we think his mode of expression is obnoxious/overbearing, that doesn't mean his opinions are totally wrong. Richard Stallman comes to mind, and may in fact be the role model he is trying to emulate.

Let him be, and he may learn more effective ways to communicate.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
KevinH
Guru
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
True, assuming he or she can actually learn. Many extremists simply can not. Their minds are as typically more fixed (and closed) then the people they attack.

If Stallman is his role model, then he has a very very long way to go. Stallman developed software first proving to other developers with his code/skill that his views deserved to be heard. Telling others "If so, get your head out of your !$!!@#$! and wake up" is not helping to build respect in any way.

I guess that everyone deserves a second chance ... but the last thing anyone wants is for MobileRead to devolve into name calling attacks and flame wars. I have seen enough of that in forums over the previous 25 to 30 years, I really don't need to see more. I think the designers did a good thing when they added that "ignore list" feature.

My 2 cents ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Just because you/we think his mode of expression is obnoxious/overbearing, that doesn't mean his opinions are totally wrong. Richard Stallman comes to mind, and may in fact be the role model he is trying to emulate.

Let him be, and he may learn more effective ways to communicate.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
sophiemom
sophiemom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
I just had my ADE count reset and what I was told is I can authorize 6 PC's for ADE install and 6 devices (mobile) for a total of 12. As for setting up a new account. I don't know what they use to correlate the accounts but I opened two other accounts with different name variance and different emails but they were still brought in under the control of the same main account hence the request for reset via CS.

It's too bad that the end user cannot manage his quota via their (Adobe's) web site. I don't mean access to the encryption key or method but the actual count and which devices are active. Just like Amazon does with their Kindle products be it physical device or logical.

John
FWIW, I was told by Adobe that when they reset, the number drops from 6 to 4 (4 computers & 4 devices.)

I so totally agree that it is unfortunate that we cannot manage our own devices on Adobe. As aggravated as I was to be unable to authorize my 2 new devices, they did respond fairly quickly with the reset, a pleasant and welcome surprise.
sophiemom is offline   Reply With Quote