Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Kobo Glo HD - Your Review?

Do you own a Kobo Glo HD? What do you think of it? What features do you like; what has disappointed you about it? I'd be grateful for the benefit of your experience.

Thanks in advance!

C.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Glo HD, Aura HD, Mini, Fire HD 6 & 8
Since you have a Kobo Mini, according to your device list, you will find the firmware on the Kobo Glo HD to be similar (depending on what firmware you run). So from that stand point, if you like the Mini, you will like the Glo HD.

As for the hardware, the Glo HD is fantastic. The screen is beautiful, the lighting is excellent and even, and I love the casing and bezel, too. I also like the button at the top better than the slider. It is the perfect accompaniment to your Mini!

There is nothing about the Glo HD that disappoints me.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I generally love my Glo HD and it's the only reader I use now. The screen is beautiful... the lighting is even, no color shifts or blotches, even the bottom area is an even color, the usual cone shapes from the LEDs just aren't there like they show on so many other readers.

My only complaint is the small shiny trim around the screen that reflects light depending on where you're reading. I read outdoors a lot in the sun, and it can produce pretty large glare spots. But my eyes are very sensitive to light, it might not be a problem for you.

These next 2 things don't bother me at all, but do bother some, so that's the only reason I'm mentioning them so you're aware of them. The Glo HD doesn't have an SD slot. I don't need to carry my entire library around with me, I usually keep around 500-600 books and still have plenty of room remaining. That number gives me a large selection to read from and I just delete what I've finished and add new books. My complete library is stored on my PCs in Calibre, and that's actually how I prefer it.

And there's no games on the reader like on the Glo, but I understand there is a way to get them added back, but I don't know how difficult it it. Again, for myself, that's not a problem at all. When I pick up my reader, it's to read and not to play games, I don't miss them at all. I can always play on my phone if I have some urgent need to do that.

All in all, it's a fantastic reader with a beautiful screen.

Edit: You might want to take a look at this thread. It's long, but there's a lot of info about the the likes and dislikes of the reader from many members.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-23-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote