Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #2071
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Do you think that I will try to delete linkjail without risk? I don't know what did the owner does with jailbreaks, but she updated from 3.1 to 3.3 without 3.2.1 I think
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #2072
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
@Kindlevarazs: If the jailbreak is not installed, deleting the linkjail folder won't do a thing. If it is, that'll just disable it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-27-2011 at 04:59 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #2073
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have deleted linkjail folder and copied to 0.9N to Kindle root. After reboot it send a big (BIG) update error 3, and suggest to call Amazon. After R resumed Kindle, and LaunchPad works, Screensaver works, CoolReader works. Hm? What to do?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #2074
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kindlevarazs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Don't try to force a custom update by rebooting your Kindle. You should *always* install custom hacks via the Settings page. If the 'Update Your Kindle' link is greyed out, it's because you uploaded the wrong binfile for your device. Don't try to force an install by rebooting. It'll, at best, fail, and at worst, force you to start your Kindle in recovery mode to delete the offending update.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #2075
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur

Copied 0.9N, Update your kindle, Unsuccessful, U004.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #2076
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Kindlevarazs: Use the -3.2.1 install file.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #2077
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur

Thank you very much, after that I have succeded to install all other mentioned hacks.

One more question: how do you think is it possibly to use/modify apps based on LaunchPad start to work without it? (for example CoolReader or Chess could be start from Home screen?) Is it interesting for later K4 use (if jailbreak will be working).
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #2078
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Kindlevarazs: You can't, they're new, standalone apps, not part/based on/hooked in the framework. Launchpad is the cleanest, easiest way to achieve that (someone would have come up with something better if that wasn't the case ).
Old 10-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #2079
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur

You are right, but no keyboard on Kindle 4 nor Kindle Touch. It no problem for me, I have Kindle 3 and keyboard:-)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #2080
harpangel36
Connoisseur
harpangel36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New Font Hack Not working

I am trying to add the Georgia 2 font on my K3g and can't seem to get it to work. Here are the steps I took:
1. Download and installed the hacks without difficulty. Works fine. I can see the new fonts from the hack.
2.Download the Georgia2 font.
3. Renamed it Georgia2_Regular.ttf
4. Replace all the fonts in the links/fonts folder with the Georgia 2 font
5. unlink from computer and restart Kindle.

Still can't see the Georgia 2 font on my Kindle

What am I missing, please?
harpangel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #2081
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@harpangel36:

Quote:
If you want to change the fonts used by the hack, you'll have to upload them in the linkfonts/fonts directory, strictly following the usual naming scheme. (Type_Style.ttf) (for details on where each font is used, please see this post). The default fonts installed by the hack are the usual non-cjk unicode fonts (Droid Sans, Droid Serif & DejaVu Sans Mono), with the addition of the CJK-aware Droid Fallback if you're on FW 3.x. You'll find a bunch of other prepackaged, ready to use, font sets here, and in the next few replies.

You'll have to restart your Kindle in order to properly take your new fonts into account.
Quote:
Sans_Regular.ttf: Used in the Settings & Experimental page for the explanation texts. Also for the dictionnary/note popups.
Sans_Bold.ttf: Used in the menus, in the top & bottom panel, and as the collection title when browsing a collection, and the inline text in the book & collection browsers (ie. the 'delete this item' stuff & co)
Sans_Italic.ttf: May be used alongside Sans_Regular or Sans_Bold somewhere ^^
Sans_BoldItalic.ttf: Used in the book list, for the collection names

Serif_*.ttf: Used in the reader, that's the font family your books will be rendered with.
Serif_Bold.ttf: Used in the book & collection browser for the book title & author. (NOTE: For these purposes, Serif_Regular is used instead on FW 3.x)

Mono_*.ttf: AFAICT, nowehere except in the browser, but I may be mistaken. (Might be used in the reader when you're feeding it a raw txt file or some raw html files, depending on styling).

And since v3.8.N, on FW 3.x:

CJK.ttf: Used for Chinese/Japanese/Korean scripts.
I18N.ttf: Last fallback for non-latin & non-cjk scripts.
Which tells us:

1. Okay.
2. Sure.
3. Nope, wrong (hint: I imagine you'll want to use it as the Serif_* family).
4. Definitely wrong, *never* delete anything in there, always *overwrite* the parts of the 3 switchable font sets (Serif_*, Sans_*, Mono_*) you want to change.
5. Yep.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #2082
harpangel36
Connoisseur
harpangel36 began at the beginning.

I'm not sure if I'm too much of a newbie, but I have no idea what *overwrite* the parts of the 3 switchable font sets (Serif_*, Sans_*, Mono_*) you want to change.
Could you explain in different terms please?
harpangel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #2083
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@harpangel36: Basically, don't remove stuff manually in the fonts folder, and if your OS asks you to overwrite some files when copying your new fonts, say 'yes' .
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #2084
flowerprint
flowerprint began at the beginning.

Pardon my ignorance, I am on FW 3.3 currently. Does the hack still works?
flowerprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #2085
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@flowerprint: Yes.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet