Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
nikkoura
nikkoura began at the beginning.

Device: KOA
Force Goodreads activation for international users

Hello,

Has someone already attempted to force the 'goodreads for kindle' activation for people living outside of the Goodreads United States / Canada / Australia?

For such people, the application does not show up in the kindle toolbar, unless you have an amazon.com account (as opposite to, say, amazon.fr). And using such an account bars you from using your local kindle store...

Thanks for your advice!
nikkoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
knc1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ <- Clueless
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkoura View Post
Hello,

Has someone already attempted to force the 'goodreads for kindle' activation for people living outside of the Goodreads United States / Canada / Australia?

For such people, the application does not show up in the kindle toolbar, unless you have an amazon.com account (as opposite to, say, amazon.fr). And using such an account bars you from using your local kindle store...

Thanks for your advice!
Maybe.

Is your device jail broken?

I ask because if it is, I would like to see a copy of one specific file; but you can only access it on a jail broken device.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
nikkoura

Yes, it is.
Which file should I look for?
Old 09-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
knc1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ <- Clueless
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it is.
Which file should I look for?
PM me the contents of:
/var/local/java/prefs/reginfo
It may not be the one that is controlling this feature, but it is as good a place to start as any.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
knc1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ <- Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
PM me the contents of:
/var/local/java/prefs/reginfo
It may not be the one that is controlling this feature, but it is as good a place to start as any.
Thanks.
That looks the same as a US device with Goodreads in-use.

Although the information might be encoded in the account string.

I don't know what else to suggest.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
nikkoura

Thanks for your help.

My knowledge of the inner workings of the kindle platform is really thin, so maybe the following question is completely dumb: is there a way to attempt a manual launch of the Goodreads application?

After reading a post about a modification of the behavior of the store button, I poked in the pillow html/js files. I found there a mention of 'app://com.lab126.booklet.discovery', apparently associated with the goodreads button in the search bar. Could this be of any help?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
knc1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ <- Clueless

Quote:
Thanks for your help.

My knowledge of the inner workings of the kindle platform is really thin, so maybe the following question is completely dumb: is there a way to attempt a manual launch of the Goodreads application?

After reading a post about a modification of the behavior of the store button, I poked in the pillow html/js files. I found there a mention of 'app://com.lab126.booklet.discovery', apparently associated with the goodreads button in the search bar. Could this be of any help?
It might be, but I truly do not have a clue.
Nor do I have a KOA to play with, in order to learn more about your request.

There are people here that know a lot more about the GUI stuff than I do.
Perhaps someone will help out with this question.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
My very US kindle is not jailbroken, but gosh, I wish I could get RID of that GoodReads button!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote