Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Codetoad13
Codetoad13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
WiFi Nook vs Libre/Jetbook

With the introduction of the WiFI nook can anyone give me pros and cons of it vs the Jetbook or Libre?

Codetoad13
Codetoad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
If you want something with wifi, might as well get the augen "the book". It's a colored screen device that you can read ebooks, surf the net, take notes, and watch movies in color. And it costs half the price of the wifi nook.

I've been reading about the nook and kindle. I honestly don't see any advantage these devices have over the jb or libre other than the fact that they're made by mega companies and people know about them more.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
the jetBook LITE is the choice for many of us "jetbook fanatics" there are free updates farily often, multilanguage support, great dictionary, and built in translators.

the best thing for me is im not constricted to formats like other ereaders. it has 13 so you can basically find ANY book (and i mean ANY) convert it to whatever format you prefer, or just straight load it to the device and it should work.

check out some other posts users made, they have a lot of cool open ended features like different font supports, editing books yourself and loading them up, and creating your own files and folders.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
I have a JBL, and I have never used a nook. But the advantages of the nook are:
  • Has e-ink, meaning less battery consumption
  • Uses Android OS, which might mean apps in the future
  • Has the color touch LCD on the bottom, which is nice. Using the buttons on the JBL is somewhat cumbersome.
  • It has WiFi.

On the other hand, the JBL has:
  • Uses standard AA batteries. If you have an extra set of batteries, you never have to have downtime as you can just pop in the batteries when you lose your charge.
  • More formats are supported. The features supported can be quite different for the book formats (for example, PDF supports Table of Contents, while the EPUBs reader ignores the table of contents).
  • Dictionary is nice
  • Support for international text
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
* Has e-ink, meaning less battery consumption
Not a plus over Jetbooks reflective TFT except in battery consumption.
And for me, not a big plus even then, but your mileage may vary.
* Uses Android OS, which might mean apps in the future
Possible.
* Has the color touch LCD on the bottom, which is nice. Using the buttons on the JBL is somewhat cumbersome.

How so? Go into books, if you organize your authors into folders, 1 layer deep, pick an author with a single side button press. Surf through the books by that author with page turn and again, select with single side button press. And then your in the book. Sorry but to me that is not cumbersome. I love the side buttons.
* It has WiFi.

Is it worth what you pay for WiFi though? And if you run the wifi are you not going to use a lot more power? Putting you right back where you are now?
Personally I have no desire for wifi or any such. But, your mileage may vary.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
A co-worker recently bought a nook and let me try it out. I have to say, I am not an e-ink fan.
At least the unit I was looking had a terrible flash problem between page turns. It was as if the entire screen was reverse drawn to clear it and then the new screen was drawn. Took about a second to do, but got annoying fast.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
A co-worker recently bought a nook and let me try it out. I have to say, I am not an e-ink fan.
At least the unit I was looking had a terrible flash problem between page turns. It was as if the entire screen was reverse drawn to clear it and then the new screen was drawn. Took about a second to do, but got annoying fast.
Yeah, my neighbor's kindle gave me a headache.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Agree. I had the same experience with e-ink devices (Sony and Kindle) and my eyes like jetBook and jetBook-Lite screen much better.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I don't own a Kindle or a Nook but I would have to agree with another comment I read on the yahoo Kindlekorner group and the comment was "You don't need a PC to buy books". This may be trivial to most of us but to those that don't own a PC/Mac it makes a big difference. I would have to add the iPad to the list as well as I believe with the 3G service you do not need a home internet account. That said if the Nook doesn't have cell service and requires home wifi then tat unit may be out of the picture as well.

So for that feature alone it opens up e-book technology and access to people who cannot deal with being "connected" via a computer. This also gives them access to magazines, news papers as well as limited Web Browsing.

My wife's aunt in the UK get's email through her TV. We can send her emails with pictures attached. It is part of her Cable service. They also have "Tele-Text" which gives them access to varioius interactive services via cable TV. They can check the weather, arrival and departure status of air services etc without a computer. Tele-text almost became a reality here in Canada but never took off. I am sure it probably doesn't exist in the USA either.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 06-24-2010 at 09:21 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Codetoad13
Codetoad13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Smile

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I will be going with the Libre soon.

Codetoad13
Codetoad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #11
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco JetBook
For the newest versions of firmware on the regular JB (and JBL presumably on the latest firmware), TOC's in Epubs work fine...
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote