Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #136
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Allegedly, yes, Borders still allegedly caries them, but not at all stores (only one in the Houston area, and it'd the fourth largest city in the country).

Where did you see the list of Fry's locations, the one on the Frys.com site was pretty out-dated last time I looked -- have they updated it then?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #137
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Here's the one I saw: http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/...e-location.htm

I see now that this isn't the official Fry's website, though, and I have no idea how up to date it might be, as I don't live near any of the places on the list and there are no Fry's near me.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #138
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fry's itself is notoriously bad about keeping their list of locations up to date -- they finally list the locations in Houston, but they'd been open for about 4 years before they did.

Thanks for the link!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #139
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Don't forget, he also had competition from Kaypro - bigger screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
The late Adam Osborne produced an early portable computer that enjoyed popularity for a while. Then he made a mistake that was fatal to his company. He announced a new improved model. Everyone wanted it, so those that had been planning to purchase his current model waited for the new model to come out. And waited, and waited . . .

When Osborne finally put the "Executive" model on the market, it was too little, too late. Osborne's company failed and Compaq inherited the design.

The Osborne effect causes consumers to delay purchases based on the promise of better, cheaper future technology. Using it, some companies can exert a measure of control over market conditions, to their advantage.

Or should we call it the Kindle effect?
---but the software didn't include WordStar. Mine ran CP/M.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #140
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
i forgot to say that it strains a bit of credulity to posit that amazon
is trying to using f.u.d. here to slow down the sony reader, because . . .
Did we first hear of the Kindle as "leaked news" or was there an announcement at a trade show? I don't recall. I speculate though, that some eBook fanciers who were contemplating the purchase of an eReader at that time delayed their purchase to see what Amazon would do.

If I thought a major bookseller would really sell a cheap eReader, and I was on the verge of buying a Sony Reader, for example, I might wait to see what Amazon offered. As it is, I can't wait for them because I make trips to the west only once a year, and the Sony was an obvious choice for me.

It is too late for the Kindle now. In the early days of computing, there were many examples of "vaporware". Companies would sometimes even take orders for a product that hadn't been developed, and then use the funds to finance their development effort.

So why would Amazon permit rumors of the Kindle to escape their organization, and then not produce anything? Will the Kindle ever come, or will the only thing it ever kindles be our curiosity?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #141
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Did we first hear of the Kindle as "leaked news" or was there an announcement at a trade show? I don't recall.
It was something that the Engadget folks found while trolling the FCC's website.

Here's the original thread on it: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7569
Old 06-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #142
JSWolf
Suspended
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
They had at least one at the local store... And was going for 299. Need to check to see if it had a red tage on it. AKA that means end of product...
So do the Sony Readers at Frys have a red tag?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #143
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It was something that the Engadget folks found while trolling the FCC's website.

Here's the original thread on it: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7569
So we have no read whatsoever on Amazon's intentions.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #144
NatCh
Gizmologist

Aside from that they evidently weren't ready to go public with it then ... nope, none at all.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #145
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Well! A leak like this one would obviously ire the direction and force them to clamp down. Just try to question an Amazon guy... or his friends.

The sad thing about this is that it also gets all other companies to shut out.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #146
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
I can see a time coming when any ebook seller will supply readers cheap or free in the same way mobile phone network comnpanies were giving away phones a while ago.
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 AM   #147
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
I can see a time coming when any ebook seller will supply readers cheap or free in the same way mobile phone network comnpanies were giving away phones a while ago.
If so, it will be done the same way the phones do it. They'll lock the user in to their own content and use the hardware as a loss leader. They'll all offer roughly the same feature set and compete with dodgy marketing and a constant process of reinventing the wheel.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #148
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
If so, it will be done the same way the phones do it. They'll lock the user in to their own content and use the hardware as a loss leader. They'll all offer roughly the same feature set and compete with dodgy marketing and a constant process of reinventing the wheel.
dodgy marketing... use locked in... This sounds familiar. Oh, wait, SONY! Sony did this. Only they were smart enough to get us to pay for the privilege of being controlled.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #149
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
But if Amazon offered their entire content inventory, how "locked in" would you really be? Even the Mobipocket inventory would be pretty good. It would depend on the subscription fee-- one would need to calculate the value of the deal on a personal basis.

I like to re-read my books, so I don't know as this would work for me, but it could work for a lot of other people.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #150
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
But if Amazon offered their entire content inventory, how "locked in" would you really be?
Except it's not Amazon's content to offer. Don't forget, Amazon would still be just an enhanced bookseller, or possibly a combination distributor/seller. They'll still have to make distribution/sales agreements with every one of the publishers. It's not like they can just arbitrarily snarf up the e-rights on their entire inventory. For some of the books they sell, the e-rights are either no available or are otherwise contracted.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote