Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #61
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Sounds great. I have not tried it yet, because I am a little nervous to do this. How 'safe' is it in regards to bricking my PRS-300? I flash telephones for many years now without problems and never got nervous. But the thought something could happen to my reader....

I saw there is no Dutch. Can I help you translate?
It is safe to install, it can not brick your device and it installs without actually flashing it, instead you just copy files into your device memory and there is interface option to switch back to the original Sony firmware, and you can select which firmware to load after device is restarted.

Thank you for your offer to translate. We will very appreciate help with translation to different languages in about three weeks from now. We are preparing a new release which will have some UI changes. When this will be done we will post text resource files on our site and let everybody know that we need to translate them to different languages.
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #62
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I was just wondering if any of those who have successfully installed this software can clarify whether the issue of the software not seeing previously installed books in the /database/media/books folder is fixed or, if not, how you have got it to work with previously installed books?
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #63
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
It does not try to analyze the installed stuff like original firmware does, it has a simple file browser, so no matter where you put the books you'll be able to get to them. Ebookapps does not support lrfs tho, so if your old book collection was in that format you have to load them to something else, I picked fb2 for example and works great, happy to get rid of the proprietary lrf format for good. Other note is that browsing to /database/media/books is slow operation, it is way more convenient to pick shorter path.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #64
RevDavid
RevDavid began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
Tried it yesterday on my PRS 300 - no problems. Look forward to version 1.7 as, like roebeet, I prefer serif fonts.
RevDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #65
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
happy to get rid of the proprietary lrf format for good.
You could have done it a long time ago, having picked EPUB as your open format of choice. Or is EPUB too proprietary for you?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #66
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Epubs looked bad with original firmware (no justification), and were slower than lrf, so I had to back to lrf, but always loved fb2, now I can have it with great speed, so happy in the pants. Of course there is stuff to be fixed in ebookapps, but they are working hard to resolve, I notice bug fixed not being mentioned in the changelogs, a lot of thumbs up for.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #67
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cannot navigate to /database/media/books (which appears to be where my Calibre puts all my books) and, from reading the posts on the ebookapplication site it seems this folder may be hidden. Therefore, I moved some books in to the /Books folder and I can now see the files

Pdf and non-drm epubs work fine and I do like the font size flexibility and clock. However, I cannot open any of my drm-epubs. The software says it is opening them but then fails and simply takes me back to the main menu. Does it not work with drm protected stuff?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #68
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookapps View Post
version 1.7 which we will release in about 3 weeks from now will have customizable fonts, so users will be able to upload and use any other fonts that they may have.
Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Sounds great. I have not tried it yet, because I am a little nervous to do this. How 'safe' is it in regards to bricking my PRS-300? I flash telephones for many years now without problems and never got nervous. But the thought something could happen to my reader....
I've obviously tested it out, and I can also attest to the fact that it doesn't change the OF. Going on the little I know, the "Sony Reader" folder is read upon boot up (I assume something SONY setup for doing things like firmware updates). But this app somehow adds a boot menu instead, where can choose which UI to use. As such, you aren't changing the OF at all and, worst case scenario, you can just go back in USB mode and wipe the folder. But, as always, back up your ebooks just in case. :-)

Last edited by roebeet; 07-07-2010 at 07:27 PM.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #69
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
Got this error when trying to connect to Calibre (running Sony firmware on the PRS505)

Code:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'xpath'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 67, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 274, in _books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 133, in books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 158, in books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 141, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 129, in initialize_XML_cache
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\sony_cache.py", line 89, in __init__
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'xpath'
Deleted the custom firmware and now works fine with Calibre. Maybe it's just an isolated case
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #70
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I had a similar error on my PRS-300 when trying to connect to it from Calibre while this custom software was installed, regardless of whether it was in Sony or ebookapp mode. I don't remember the exact error (it went away when I removed the software), but that looks familiar.

This is probably an issue that needs to be updated in Calibre, though ideally the new software shouldn't break syncing when running the Sony software.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #71
church mouse
Evangelist

Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
I cannot navigate to /database/media/books (which appears to be where my Calibre puts all my books) and, from reading the posts on the ebookapplication site it seems this folder may be hidden. Therefore, I moved some books in to the /Books folder and I can now see the files

Pdf and non-drm epubs work fine and I do like the font size flexibility and clock. However, I cannot open any of my drm-epubs. The software says it is opening them but then fails and simply takes me back to the main menu. Does it not work with drm protected stuff?
In answer to my question, ebookapplications have confirmed the software does not work with ADE drm books.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #72
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
@Evi1d33d and toddos: No, this is not an isolated problem. I put a thread up about it before. I had to hard reset to get mine back up and running.
Check out this thread and the reply. Apparently there is some database that is missing or moved when installing the alternative firmware.....
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #73
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I was just curious... why create a new firmware for the Sony Reader when your help getting OpenInkPot running on the Sony Reader would have been greatly appreciated. It might've been much less work.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #74
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Hi
Loaded the alternative software, get to menu but nothing happens when I press the button. Now cannot delete alternative software from _PRS-300.
Any help would be welcome.
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #75
Hamid
Hamid began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505
Try the RESET button.
Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony