Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Alternative software for Sony eReaders!

We are pleased to announce general availability of free alternative firmware for Sony eReader devices (for models PRS-505 and Pocket Edition PRS–300)

This firmware is available for download from: http://www.ebookapplications.com

eBook Applications firmware does not delete any files of original Sony software or in any way interfere with the way it works. User has an opportunity to return back to original software at any time.

Supported formats:
  • Books: PDF, DOC, EPUB, RTF, HTML, CHM, TXT, DJVU,
  • FB2, PDB, PRC, TCR, ZIP and multifile ZIP.

Other features of eBookApplications firmware:
  • Convenient and fast user interface
  • Support for many languages
  • Fast page flipping and opening books
  • Advanced file manager
  • Flexible users settings

This software has been developed to address numerous user complains about inconveniences of the original software and weak support of popular book formats and languages.

At the moment Sony eReaders are the best devices on the market in terms of price and quality. Design, screen and electronics are far better that competing products. The only disadvantage is barely functional original software.

With our firmware Sony eReader users will get the opportunity to read books in their preferred formats using fast and convenient user interface on reliable on relatively inexpensive ebook reader devices from Sony.

To install the firmware:
  • Unpack the archive and copy its content to the root of the internal memory on your device.
  • Press RESET and power on your eReader again
  • When device is started you suppose to see the firmware selection menu where you can choose between options to start the original Sony firmware or eBookApplications firmware.
  • Select eBookApplications option and wait for 10 seconds while it is loading. Please note that THERE IS NO LOADING INDICATOR, so be patient.
  • Default user interface language is English, you can change this to other languages in Settings -> General Settings -> Interface Language.

Last edited by ebookapps; 06-18-2010 at 04:13 PM.
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
Hmm, I have no complaints with my Sony software. I am even able to download books from other web sites and have them go into my Sony Reader Library no problem, but thanks for the info.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Give it a try. You may change your opinion. You will still be able to use original Sony software if you want.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keef View Post
Hmm, I have no complaints with my Sony software. I am even able to download books from other web sites and have them go into my Sony Reader Library no problem, but thanks for the info.
Keef, you're talking about the library software that runs on your computer, not the firmware that controls the Reader itself.

I'm curious how this compares to PRS+.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookapps View Post
Give it a try. You may change your opinion. You will still be able to use original Sony software if you want.
A more comprehensive feature list and some more screenshots would be nice. I would like to know a little bit more about the firmware before giving it a try...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Do ePubs show with justified right?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

According to the comments on their website, at least the few that are in English and not Russian, it seems to be rather buggie. I don't read Russian so I cannot say what all those comments state.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
ebookapps
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Do ePubs show with justified right?
Yes, they do
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
ebookapps
Enthusiast

We made a beta launch in Russia about three weeks ago, since it is a very active but isolated user community. Based on their feedback we have released version with fixes to the problems that were discovered.

So far we got about 3,000 active and happy users in Russia, since this firmware solves Fb2 format reading problem as well as it gives cyrillic support on Sony eReaders

Last edited by ebookapps; 06-18-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Yes, they do
Holy cow, I've been waiting forever for that!
I'm there --- thanks!!!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
ebookapps
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post

A more comprehensive feature list and some more screenshots would be nice. I would like to know a little bit more about the firmware before giving it a try...
You can download and check help file, but I am going to drop few more screenshots on http://www.ebookapplications.com
Please keep in mind that this firmware gives an option to select between original or alternative one at any time
Old 06-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Yes, they do
Cool! May i ask if you use a customized version of FBReader in the firmware?

Quote:
You can download and check help file, but I am going to drop few more screenshots on http://www.ebookapplications.com
Thank you.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I don't see them mentioned, so are LRF files supported?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Keef, you're talking about the library software that runs on your computer, not the firmware that controls the Reader itself.

First of all PRS+ is an open project. Anyone could download sources/build his own version/contribute. PRS+ is mostly written in javascript/xml based on Sony firmware (no fb2/djvu support), ebookapps is an external c/c++ executable started from sony firmware (no LRF support, buggier).

Ebookapps (most likely) is a port by some company that is trying to sell e-ink firmware to vendors. It is not an open project. Bad part about them is, despite extensively using GPL code, they don't release GPL-ed sources, which they actually must do according to GPL license.

Bilbo1967
Quote:
I don't see them mentioned, so are LRF files supported?
No.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
ebookapps
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Ebookapps (most likely) is a port by some company that is trying to sell e-ink firmware to vendors. It is not an open project. Bad part about them is, despite extensively using GPL code, they don't release GPL-ed sources, which they actually must do according to GPL license.

Bilbo1967

No.
Scared of competition?

Extensively? Not at all. We use GPL code only in djvu and pdf and this code is going to be posted on our site shortly. It is not going to make any difference for users though as well as developers, just a pure formality.

Last edited by ebookapps; 06-18-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony