Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
gribbs
gribbs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Thumbs down Distorted screen and reader not responding

Hi,

This is my first post and I hope someone can help.

I bought my ereader in December and it has been working fine. About 4 weeks ago I was reading from my ereader in bed. When I tried to turn it off it wouldn't and the screen display distorted and had thin white lines horizontally across the middle of the screen, like a bar code. The power light was flashing yellow and I couldn't turn it off o access anything on the ereader.

As it is under guarantee I sent it to Sony Central Service in Bridgend who sent me a bill for £216.82 saying that there was physical damage which isn't covered under the guarantee. To cut a long story short I disputed the physical damage and was put through to Sony customer service who investigated. They contacted me today to say they had received a photo of the damage from Bridgend and 'that the only way these lines can appear on a screen is following physical damage'.

I have attached the photo that Bridgend sent which shows the screen, can anyone help please?

I need to get back to Sony in the next few days, either way I'm still going to have to pay £27.50 for a refusal to repair!

Have you heard of this happening before? Is Sony correct, that this only happens following physical damage? I know that nothing happened to the ereader, if I had damaged it I would have just claimed on my house insurance, that's what I have insurance for.

Many thanks
gribbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken_Reader_case_ref_25688490.JPG
Views:	832
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	53503  
gribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
seen that screen before, usually dropping it causes it. Think someone had one get squished in a backpack not too long ago causing a similar look
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
gribbs

Thanks for the reply.
That's what Sony say but I know that there was no physical damage to it
Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's an absolutely classic picture of a broken screen substrate. It is caused by a physical break in the thin glass layer that lies under the outer screen. I'm afraid it's not covered by warranty. What Sony have told you is absolutely correct.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
It IS physical damage. Broken substrate.

That's the disadvantage of e-ink, those fragil, thin layers of glass. You might have put too much pressure on the top, etc... It isn't covered by the warranty.

Get a case.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
gribbs

Thanks for all your replies. I have to accept what Sony and you all are saying, but it is a bit hard when I know that it wasn't dropped or damaged and it is already in a Sony case and has been since it was purchased!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Gribbs, sorry to say it, but, I just broke mine yesterday. I had it in my purse with too much stuff and it got squished, even in the case.

Can anyone tell me where to send it to get it fixed?
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post
Gribbs, sorry to say it, but, I just broke mine yesterday. I had it in my purse with too much stuff and it got squished, even in the case.

Can anyone tell me where to send it to get it fixed?
Call Sony, they'll put you through to a repair I'm sure.
It'll cost you a bit.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Well, I went and bought another PRS-600 today. It was totally weird being without my reader, as I use it that much. Couldn't wait, however, it seems to buy another for $199 as opposed to a refurbished one for $104 was the better option for myself.

I will definately watch what I am doing with it in the future!
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #10
gribbs

I got back my eReader from Sony's repair centre, it cost me £27.50 for the repair estimate opposed to the £216.82p it would cost to repair it. That is more than I paid for it new! I am going to claim on my house insurance, but I truly think that there was a fault with this screen as there was, as I am sure you are sick of me saying...no direct or indirect physical force applied to the screen when the distortion on the screen occurred. The eReader is only ever used at night and sits on my bed table by my bed!

Thanks again to you all.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

Something might of gotten on the reader's screen. A cat, a dog, etc. Something might of fell on it.

It's unlikely it's a defective screen, it's much more likely it was a freak accident.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
gribbs

Nope no animals. I was just lying in bed, had been reading it and tried to turn it off
Old 06-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
anxi44
anxi44 began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-600
I believe you Gribbs.

The same happened to mine.

There was no damage, but the screen has all those lines. Now it is in repair, and the warranty covers it, at least in my case.

I am just waiting for them to fix it.

How long did it take to fix yours?
anxi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
gribbs

I had it back from Sony as they wouldn't accept that it wasn't physical damage and had to pay £27.50 for the privilege. I'm going to claim on my house insurance. How did you get them to accept it was a warranty repair?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
solar5
solar5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
same s#it

Hey dude, you are not alone!
Same shi(f)t happened to me.
And I am sure there was NO physical damage to my reader neither.
I was using it for a couple of weeks, and then just left it beside my bed.
After a week of idling (right, a week, because it was Soccer World Cup and I didn't have neither time nor wish to read) I opened it and found same lines covering a half of the screen. This is WEIRD!
I am pretty sure it's a manufacturer's problem. But how to prove it to them, I have no idea.
I am sending my device to them today.
Will see what they would say.
solar5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distorted screen, horizontal lines, prs 600