Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
MeganJoan
MeganJoan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo case for Australians

So, after having a small scare with a cracked screen (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86462) I decided to get a case to keep my Kobo in while it sits in my hand bag at work.

Turns out it's rather expensive to get a case shipped to Australia and it usually takes much longer than I'd like to get it here. Also, because I can't get a case custom made for Kobo that I know is good quality it could be a giant waste of time and money. I saw someone in the cases thread suggest this http://www.smiggle.com.au/SM_navIWCa...uct_Id=1602114
It's not exactly what I want but it'll work just fine until Kobo cases are released in Australia.

I bought one today and it really is a perfect fit. Thought I'd post photos for any other Australians who are interested

To give some more info it's a hard plastic/rubbery case and while there's cloth inside it's not actually padded. When I say hard plastic I don't mean completely hard, and it is still bendable slightly. I have mine with the screen facing towards the insert because this does have a small amount of padding. The Kobo fits quite snugly where I've put it but not so much that buttons are pressed or it's difficult to get in or out. If you were travelling it would be quite easy to fit the cable or some other accessories in there as well. You could store pens but I wouldn't given they'd be right up against the screen.
If like me you're just putting it into a handbag or somewhere else that it's still well looked after it should be fine to protect it, but I wouldn't recommend it for throwing the thing about or chucking it in a gym bag or the like, but I don't think I'd recommend that in any case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	53449   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	53451   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	53452   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	53453   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	53454   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	53455  

Last edited by MeganJoan; 06-16-2010 at 04:59 AM.
MeganJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Thanks for the photos. I'm thinking I might have to get me one of these.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Mmm... it's bit to expensive to buy online, it's 15$ plus 10$ postage! thats 66% of the price. I might go look at one in one of the smiggle stores if i ever walk past one, but i never go to the shopping centres where smiggles are.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
I've got one of those as well and am quite happy with it.

I agree with the screen facing up, the pen insert should provide some extra protection.

Takes a bit of pratice taking the Kobo out (it is a tight fit), but otherwise a pretty good fit.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
bear_3000
bear_3000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Not sure if any of you have seen these: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kobo-eReader-...item27b27929cf

I purchased a purple one the other day. Despite coming from America, total cost (AUD) was $20. this included shipping. I don't mind having to wait because i think this case is rather nice and my kobo will fit well in it.
bear_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear_3000 View Post
I purchased a purple one the other day. Despite coming from America, total cost (AUD) was $20. this included shipping. I don't mind having to wait because i think this case is rather nice and my kobo will fit well in it.
I placed an order for a black one this morning. Looks like a good cover at a nice price, and designed for the Kobo too!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha

No it not designed for the Kobo specifically:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Barnes-and-No...item2a078df368
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/iRiver-Story-...item2a07c433de

But when you guys do get it, tell us how it fits though.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
No it not designed for the Kobo specifically:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Barnes-and-No...item2a078df368
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/iRiver-Story-...item2a07c433de

But when you guys do get it, tell us how it fits though.
Hey, they DO have it for Kobo, I just ordered one myself :

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kobo-eReader-...#ht_1554wt_981
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnom View Post
Hey, they DO have it for Kobo, I just ordered one myself :

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kobo-eReader-...#ht_1554wt_981
No I'm just saying its not specifically built for Kobo
Old 06-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
artificial
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
No I'm just saying its not specifically built for Kobo
Ah, that sucks. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew they were selling a Nook case but advertising it as a Kobo case. Hopefully it still fits OK, I know some people have had success with Nook cases despite the 18mm height difference.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
dominici
dominici began at the beginning.

I've got one of those Smiggles cases too, it fits my Kobo smugly. I really wanted one of those Roots cases, but everytime I go to Borders or ANgus & Robertson, they keep changing the date of when the covers will arrive. Now they're saying July. Maybe I should just order one online...
dominici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
bear_3000
bear_3000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
Ah, that sucks. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew they were selling a Nook case but advertising it as a Kobo case. Hopefully it still fits OK, I know some people have had success with Nook cases despite the 18mm height difference.
How do you guys know it is a nook case? i just checked the listing and it doesnt say that at all.
bear_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear_3000 View Post
How do you guys know it is a nook case? i just checked the listing and it doesnt say that at all.
A few things. First, it doesn't say anywhere in the description that it is designed for a Kobo. Second, the pictures are identical to the Nook one, which does say it is designed specifically for the Nook. Third, you'll notice on the Nook advertisement, they show pictures of the nook in the case, whereas the in the Kobo case it is closed - ie. they don't want to show a picture of a Kobo in the case. Seems to me like they're probably taking us all for a ride. Wouldn't have bought one if I realized it was designed for the Nook.
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by the hatter View Post
...Wouldn't have bought one if I realized it was designed for the Nook.
Is there a huge difference in the Kobo and the nook?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #15
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hatter View Post
First, it doesn't say anywhere in the description that it is designed for a Kobo.
Quote:
Product Description
Store and carry your eBook with this simple and fun CaseCrown Soft Faux Leather Case. The exterior is a playfully accented with complimenting stitching and a durable damage resistant material. The interior features a soft faux leather lining that will not scratch or crack your Kobo. With the opposing flap featuring card storage compartments, you can hold additional loose articles. Slide your Kobo in with ease and it'll remain secure with the four internal supporting straps. Store and go with this case!
That is the description, where it says 2 times that it's for Kobo...
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote