Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
the Kindle output profile is very unappealing and would result in nine billion printed pages for my authors. it's also just a wee bit buggy, for example, it produces two cover pages, for no discernible reason
This is a problem with mobipocket's interpretation of the OPF (which uses the guide rather than the spine). The way to fix it is to edit the spine element in your .opf file and take the coverpage out of the linear flow.
Code:
  <spine toc="ncx">
    <itemref idref="coverpage" linear="no"/>
  </spine>
  <guide>
    <reference href="coverpage.xhtml" type="cover" title="Cover"/>
  </guide>
If you do this then the cover won't appear in the standard flow of text. Calibre's reader will shunt it to the end, but ADE will catch it from the reference in the guide section and put it at the front. While ADE is smart enough to recognise when it should do this, the mobipocket standard isn't, so a lot of ePubs use this hack to make it easier to convert for the Kindle.

Quote:
It doesn't unzip down to html. It unzips to xhtml. I don't have an easy way--that I know of--to extract the html and then put it all back into Word.
xhtml is just a stricter form of html*. Anything that can read html (well, anything from the past 10 years) will have no problem with xhtml.
As for putting it back into Word - this is the main reason I still use the old (pre-0.2.0) version of Sigil. Open the book in 0.1.8 or 0.1.9, go to code view and you have all the code laid out for you. Copy everything (in code view) then paste it into a blank text document (in Notepad or something like that). Go to the top and remove the line saying
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
then save the text document and change the extension to .html. Now open in Word and you have the epub with all its formatting. Page-breaks that are forced through flow breaks will be indicated by a horizontal rule, as in Sigil. If you want to bring over all the images you need to replicate the directory structure: create a directory for the book and then inside it make two folders, 'images' and 'text'. Put the html file in the 'text' folder and extract all the images to the 'images' folder.

*Actually it's a bit more complex than that, but since your destination is print in this case the nuances don't really matter.

Last edited by charleski; 06-16-2010 at 11:42 AM.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
If you do this then the cover won't appear in the standard flow of text. Calibre's reader will shunt it to the end, but ADE will catch it from the reference in the guide section and put it at the front. While ADE is smart enough to recognise when it should do this, the mobipocket standard isn't, so a lot of ePubs use this hack to make it easier to convert for the Kindle.
Actually, I think it's the opposite. Last time I checked, ADE just ignores the linear="no" (I mean, it treats "no" and "yes" the same), while Calibre (and mobipocket, it seems) honour it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You can create a single PDF from multiple XHTML, just pass all files in order to the command line, like this:

Code:
prince chapter01.xhtml chapter02.xhtml epilogue.xhtml -o book.pdf
Jellby:

Yes, I saw that in the documentation, but I'm using Windows version. Still loving the program, though!! Very grateful to you for directing me to it.

Thx,

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And today's stupid pet trick IS....

Quote:
This is a problem with mobipocket's interpretation of the OPF (which uses the guide rather than the spine). The way to fix it is to edit the spine element in your .opf file and take the coverpage out of the linear flow.
Code:
  <spine toc="ncx">
    <itemref idref="coverpage" linear="no"/>
  </spine>
  <guide>
    <reference href="coverpage.xhtml" type="cover" title="Cover"/>
  </guide>
I admit, I'm not sure how ADE got into this mix, but I am grateful for the info. Given everything, I think I'm just going to stick with Prince, convert all the chapters at once, and send them to her all at once or zipped (I don't think she knows how to open a zip, though).

Quote:
xhtml is just a stricter form of html*. Anything that can read html (well, anything from the past 10 years) will have no problem with xhtml.
As for putting it back into Word - this is the main reason I still use the old (pre-0.2.0) version of Sigil. Open the book in 0.1.8 or 0.1.9, go to code view and you have all the code laid out for you. Copy everything (in code view) then paste it into a blank text document (in Notepad or something like that). Go to the top and remove the line saying
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
then save the text document and change the extension to .html. Now open in Word and you have the epub with all its formatting. Page-breaks that are forced through flow breaks will be indicated by a horizontal rule, as in Sigil. If you want to bring over all the images you need to replicate the directory structure: create a directory for the book and then inside it make two folders, 'images' and 'text'. Put the html file in the 'text' folder and extract all the images to the 'images' folder.
I should have been clearer. I know what xhtml is; I was shorthanding, and I should not have. I should have said: I don't have anything to hand that will take all these divergent xhtml files and MOOSH them together automatically so I can strip out the xml encoding and make it one big html file. What I have is about 20-30 xhtml files, plus cover, images, blah-blah, per book for four books. I could, if I wasn't lazy, ;-), pull out the relevant html from each file and cut-and-paste it into my text editor and make an html file out of it; I was trying to find something that would automate the process, first, so I could print the sucker (or, actually, so I could print to PrimoPDF so my client could print it), and now, humorously, because she's decided she wants the ability to EDIT it. (Do NOT get me started; that's today's hurdle).
Quote:
*Actually it's a bit more complex than that, but since your destination is print in this case the nuances don't really matter.
Argh! If I didn't have ten books in-house to do, I'd chuck it over and go back to something simple like editing. I don't mind the conversions, I don't, but the other brain-damage is, well, brain-damaging.

My new coined phrase for having to PRINT or create editable ebook files (i.e., Word or OO or whatever-the-frack) is "backwardization." I'm being backwardized against my will. I think that there's a statute on the books about that, somewhere. LOL!!

On a bright note, my other clients have downloaded Kindle for PC, or the FF-epub add-on, so that they can see the work (I've taken to insisting now), and I've learned to do as MUCH AS POSSIBLE in the actual Word/html file, rather than using regex (sob) in my text editor, because the client MAY want the file to be editable, and having two versions causes this type of mayhem with my serenity. Artists. They'll be the death of me.

Yanking my hair out, but still grateful for the help of everyone here,

Hitch
Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #20
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I should have said: I don't have anything to hand that will take all these divergent xhtml files and MOOSH them together automatically so I can strip out the xml encoding and make it one big html file.
And that's exactly what the old (pre 0.2.0) version of Sigil does.

If you have a set of files and need to automate the process, then going via Prince is a better idea, but with the old Sigil it takes me under 5 secs to open an epub with all its formatting in Word.
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #21
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
But Jellby's suggestion is spot on. I use his epub2pdf script (with Prince) all the time, and it works wonders.
Would you consider adding something similar to Sigil? I'm thinking about a "Convert to PDF with Prince" option. All you need is passing the xhtml files to Prince, and maybe adding some custom css.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Jellby: Prince accepts the css file if the path is specified, although it doesn't process every css option; enough to work, though. It would be cool if it did work. It still gets a little wonky; for example, para spacing isn't quite right, like 1.5 instead of 1, that kind of thing, but it's good enough for what I need it for.

Hitch

It'd be very cool if it were included in Sigil, but I suspect we're a minority; by its very nature, epub is all about not printing. ;-)

Last edited by Hitch; 06-17-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Added a P.S.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #23
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Would you consider adding something similar to Sigil? I'm thinking about a "Convert to PDF with Prince" option. All you need is passing the xhtml files to Prince, and maybe adding some custom css.
We talked about this before. I'd like nothing more than to embed epub2pdf functionality into Sigil, but Prince is not GPL. It's proprietary software.

And yes, I know Prince is free for non-commercial uses. But it's still not open source.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
We talked about this before. I'd like nothing more than to embed epub2pdf functionality into Sigil, but Prince is not GPL. It's proprietary software.
I must have a gold-fish memory

I didn't mean including Prince with Sigil, but including the option to use Prince (and the user would have to install Prince him/herself). I'm sure I've also said this before
Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #25
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't mean including Prince with Sigil, but including the option to use Prince (and the user would have to install Prince him/herself).
I'm not fond of the idea. It would involve depending on an external dependency which is out of my control. What happens when the Prince interface changes? Or the user uses an old version of Prince, one that Sigil doesn't support? Or a newer one?

What happens when Prince does something the user didn't expect, or has a bug? I'd get the bug report, and I can't fix it since I don't have access to the source.

Quote:
I'm sure I've also said this before
You have, in fact .

My suggestion remains what it was back then: turn that epub2pdf bash script into a GUI application (with PyQt perhaps). That would make it much more accessible, particularly to Windows users. A GUI app where one can just drag an epub into a window and have it converted into a properly typeset PDF would work wonders. Enable the use of some of Prince's advanced options like setting page geometry, adding custom fonts etc. and you have yourself an open source project I'd donate to in a heartbeat.

Lot's of people who don't know or care about Sigil could (and would) use that.

Last edited by Valloric; 06-17-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Sigil to slow to work in whole file, Charleski!

Quote:
And that's exactly what the old (pre 0.2.0) version of Sigil does.

If you have a set of files and need to automate the process, then going via Prince is a better idea, but with the old Sigil it takes me under 5 secs to open an epub with all its formatting in Word.
I don't know how you can stand it. When I have an html file that I've put into Sigil, for, say, a 300-page book equivalent, it'll take 2-1/2 minutes for it to come back to me after a single change (like removing a br/). I can't WAIT to put in my chapter breaks, it's the only thing that keeps me from going berserkers. Churns my CPU like it's making the Library of Congress (running XP 32-bit). It takes me the best part of an afternoon to go through and do what needs doing, and a seriously fair chunk of that isn't what I'm doing, per se, it's waiting. Nothing against Sigil; but damn, I don't know how you can wait that long for every little thing, to work in the whole file at once.

Hell, just to change from code view to WYWIWYG and back again--without any changes--is a 5-minute wait.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 06-17-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added an afterthought.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #27
charleski
Wizard

Quote:
My suggestion remains what it was back then: turn that epub2pdf bash script into a GUI application (with PyQt perhaps).
One issue is that of licensing. Such a program would be useless for anyone doing commercial work (and the problem described here is clearly an example of that) unless they were willing to fork out $500 for the professional licence to Prince. Still, might be worth looking into for hobbyists.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #28
Valloric

Quote:
Nothing against Sigil; but damn, I don't know how you can wait that long for every little thing, to work in the whole file at once.

Hell, just to change from code view to WYWIWYG and back again--without any changes--is a 5-minute wait.
Ah yes, good ol' 0.1.x
Old 06-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Nope, not 0.1x

Quote:
Ah yes, good ol' 0.1.x
Actually, I'm using the latest version.

Hitch
Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #30
Valloric

Quote:
Actually, I'm using the latest version.

Hitch
Well If you're editing your whole book as one large HTML file, then it's the same in 0.2.0. It's going to be slow. QtWebKit has seen some performance work and it should be faster in Qt 4.7, but still... split that into chapters to retain your sanity.

Tags
calibre, output, output formats, pdf, print