Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
HSMomCindy
HSMomCindy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thumbs down "US Only" seems to be growing on the Sony Ebook Store

Hi Everyone,
I am from Canada and have loved using my Sony 505 reader but lately it has changed. Over the last month it seems that even authors I usually download are no longer available to Canadians. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what is up? There line about not having the publishing rights to Canada just doesn't hold much water when the list keeps growing on Publishers and authors that I could down load wih just a month ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Cindy
HSMomCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Not just the Sony store, Cindy. This outrage ('outgrage' because serious download restrictions are dishonestly witheld from device buyers outside the US) is common to many major online ebook stores. Device manufacturers must either come clean with buyers outside the USA or act swiftly to overcome the problem -- WHATEVER that problem might be. Good to have your company here, by the way. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Try doing a search by title at the Reader Store. It often returns 2 books, one for US only and another which is for CAN only.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
HSMomCindy

Thanks for the elcome Neil.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
HSMomCindy

HI Wetdogeared,
I know there is sometimes 2 versions but no this is not a case of 2 versions. This is "US Only" and no Canadian options as far as buying the book on the Sony Ebook Store. Their Canadian EBook store has almost nothing compared to the US version that I usually buy from but now can't. It seems that over the past month the Sony EBook Store has been having more and more "US ONLY" books. I was hoping that someone out there may know why.
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSMomCindy View Post
I was hoping that someone out there may know why.
Likely because there are separate Canadian rights and the Canadian publisher isn't offering it as an ebook.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Does the Kindle Store include these ebooks for Canada?

I'm not sure how Agency publishers are handling Canada, which obviously has different laws to the US, but the switch to the agency model is a likely cause for recent disruptions.

Are these ebooks from the "Agency Five"? The easiest way to tell is to look in Amazon's Kindle Store, where they will be listed in the "New From" column, rather than the "Amazon Price" column (at least when shopping in the US).

If there isn't a Kindle version for Canada, then you may still be able to see the Kindle link by searching under books for the specific title. The kindle version will then show up under "Other Editions:".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Yeah, the publishers are a nightmare to deal with. Case in point :

Robert J Sawyer just released his second book in his WWW series, titled "Watch". Available, thru Ace Books, on all eBook stores for Canadian citizens. "Wake", the first book of the series, is not. US Only, published by... Penguin. Fun huh?
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Not always the publisher's fault, Squirsier. My own wee house, for instance, holds international rights on every title (paperback and digital) in our catalogue and we often find geographical restrictions slapped on our ebooks. Asking why, of course, brings no response from the big boys. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
WarningU2
WarningU2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS 300
I went looking for what others where experiencing with this. Books I have previously downloaded are no longer available in Canada. I'm really pissed at this situation. Love my reader but can't buy anything anymore ... what gives? What has changed?
WarningU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
It is getting is worse. Fully 75% of my purchased ebooks on Diesel could not be downloaded after the agency 5 collusion due to geo restrictions. They were not geo restricted when I purchased them
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony ebook store, sony ereader, us only