Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
This morning my wife asked me if she should pick up a Kobo.

[...]

I suddenly realized that I could not recommend a Kobo to a non-tech because they would go crazy with the font problem.
In your case, you would be able to fix books for your wife, so don't worry about it.

For someone who doesn't have a 'tech support' person in their lives, I agree that I would not recommend a Kobo Reader. I shudder to think how many frustrating this device would be for the 'average' person who doesn't hang out at forums such as this one.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
thekidintheclock
thekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo
seems too early to be making a call on this. i'm in the states - haven't even seen one yet - that's how early it still is. i'd recommend to just be patient and see. things might fall into place once they get past this initial stage. i'd say they're just swamped dealing with all the various launch dates.
thekidintheclock is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #18
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I wish they would have got things in order before launching. Imagine if Apple pulled this shite with the iPad. Most companies make sure things work, give ample information on how to use the device and have lots of support.

This team is a comedy of errors.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I wish they would have got things in order before launching. Imagine if Apple pulled this shite with the iPad.
Clearly you never worked with any of the early macs....

And really.... comparing todays Apple (which recently overtook Microsoft are the biggest tech company) to Kobo is just silly.

Quote:
Most companies make sure things work, give ample information on how to use the device and have lots of support.
It really seems you and I live in different worlds.

Last edited by Stinger; 06-10-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
ava0775
ava0775 began at the beginning.

Love my Kobo but unless someone is technically savvy, no I am not recommending it until some things are changed.

I think the company is experiencing some growing pains. I also suspect they didn't have a lot of time with the unit to test real-life scenarios. Seems like it works with some library systems and not others. Also, the unit seems to work better if you use the "web" version of the book from Kobo, not download the ePub file.

I still have faith they will improve things as they go along.
ava0775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #21
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I wish they would have got things in order before launching.
I have to say, I agree. They knew about the font scaling issue at least a month before launch because *I* told them about it wen I experienced it on the review unit I had. And it is still not fixed! Now, I'll have to hack my mom's reader when she gets back from holidays, and I'll have to tech support my dad since stepmom didn't get him the Libre I suggested. I am going to download as many books as I can and font hack them for him now, so hopefully that will keep him busy until the firmware update.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #22
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Actually I have been borrowing books from the Toronto Public Library via OverDrive. The majority I have read have for the main NOT had font sizing issues; the only exceptions have been where they have short sections intended to be (for instance) a letter written by the main character to someones else.

These have come out as non-resizable, whereas 99.95% of the text HAS been resizable.
PeterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #23
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
I've outright told people I know not to buy one. They're not geeky enough to figure out the tricks and tweaks to make it work right. Given the lead in time and the fact that they knew about the font problem (and I suspect others), I'm really shocked they launched this thing as early as they did. To top it all off, I highly suspect that by the time Christmas rolls around, after we've all perservered and helped them work out all the bugs, the damn thing will be selling for $99.99
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #24
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
I've outright told people I know not to buy one.
I'm conflicted about this. I get a lot of comments when I use the Kobo in public. And I really like it; I like the goofy, simplistic, pure-plastic retro look of it, that it isn't covered with mystifying buttons and brushed aluminum (when are we going to be over brushed aluminum?), and that it just does the one thing I want it to. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, and use it a great deal.

But it's too buggy, and there's just too much stuff that really ought to be fixed.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #25
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Yup. I like it too and wish I could suggest people go out and buy one. But, I have to be honest with them. It really is the perfect little reader...but it's just not for the technologically faint of heart.

I just read on Good eReader that its basically sold out everywhere and that the company is very pleased with sales....in spite of the problems, they're still a hot item...go figure.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:04 AM   #26
MeganJoan
MeganJoan began at the beginning.

I adore my Kobo and despite the bugs and crappy Australian software Borders have been nothing short of a dream when it comes to customer service and this forum has helped me fix every issue I've had with the Kobo in a matter of hours. (Yes, all three issues!)

I fully intend on buying one of these for my mum for her birthday in August. She isn't very tech savvy but I know that I can set up Calibre for her and show her how to download books and she'll be fine. If the font problem isn't fixed by then I'm hardly going to have a cry about it because it's not difficult or complex a problem to solve. I've no qualms with taking the 5 minutes requires to talk her through the process.

It strikes me as odd (and a little offensive) that most of you are speaking like you'd have to fix every font problem for a loved one every single time, like you couldn't talk them through it and teach them how to do it themselves. Unless there's another reoccurring issue that's more difficult and time consuming to fix I'm a little confused.

It does suck that the Kobo was released with bugs, but not as much as it'd suck if I had to wait an extra 6 months to get one
MeganJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #27
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
MeganJoan, I think the problem is that you shouldn't have to fix the font problem. And as others have said deleting the CSS file or even using the font-fixer that a user created are not true solutions.

Yes they make it so that you can read the book and change the font size, but you have to know that it does effect the formatting of the book. If you delete the CSS file you which is a Cascading Style Sheet you have removed all the styles (or formatting) that have been applied in the file.

If you remove all references to font-size: like the font-fixer program does, your much better off because you have only effected the font sizing but you have removed some formatting that was used to set relative font sizes for certain parts of the book.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #28
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Wifi, Nexus 7 (2013), Samsung Tab 10.1
I would and have and do recommend the Kobo, especially for non-tech folks. The e-reader has a good screen size (6"), it's very light-weight and comfy to hold (that quilted back!), and built with just the basics, the navigation is simple. You don't need to know about social networks, or syncing notes and annotations, or fussing with a built-in keyboard. And best of all, it's $149 backed by a company that is a bookstore and has a location a few blocks from where you live. What's not to love and recommend?

The moment anyone says "Calibre" or removing DRM -- you've just left the non-techie audience -- and a good thing. The Kobo's strength is that it is self-contained.

Yes, there is a font issue with some ePubs -- but apparently "none" at the Kobo store (or when they find them they refund your money while they fix the book/problem). In other words, there are no books that need to be fixed by a non-techie user. And as a few posters have noted, ePubs from the library -- in many cases -- work fine.

So long as the non-techie stays a non-techie and doesn't muck around under the hood deleting SQL files and the like -- which isn't possible if you stick to the supplied desktop software and ADE for non-Kobo acquired books -- there are minimal problems.

If the non-techie already has a computer and surfs the web, loading the Kobo with working ePubs is easy and error-free. The only challenge is to ensure it's clear to load the desktop software supplied on the Kobo and create an account to acquire stuff from Kobobooks; and to load ADE in order to use Overdrive with public library ePubs (which gives you full access to deleting your own books on the Kobo device).

Kobo has certainly fluffed it in some aspects of the roll out -- the font issue which shouldn't exist and the clumsy software / install info. But that does not detract from the basic usability as a reader, the comfort factor of being backed by a company that sells books for a living, and the very attractive low price.

It gets my recommendation (with a footnote).

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-15-2010 at 01:44 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #29
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I would and have and do recommend the Kobo, especially for non-tech folks.
Good post SensualPoet. I think you're quite right, that if a Kobo eReader owner doesn't try and venture outside the Kobo/Borders ecosystem they ought to have a relatively trouble-free experience.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #30
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
@SensualPoet: You just described me. I have never owned an ereader before and I use it exactly as it was intended: with their software, buying their books. I found it very easy to learn how to use it and the desktop software. Other than the battery life issue, I had no problems. I would definitely recommend the Kobo to other ereader newbies.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote