Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Thumbs up My Perfect Tablet/Slate

My perfect tablet/slate:

11” screen (16:9)
Full multi-touch support
Newest Atom processor
Nvidia ION 2 graphics
2GB of RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate
Bluetooth w/A2DP
WiFi
SDXC card reader built-in
Two USB ports built-in
One mini USB port for charging and copy/paste from host
Accelerometer
HDMI output
8 - 10 hour battery life
64GB SSD (or 1.8” HDD)
No more than ½” thick
Minimal border around screen
Fanless
Built-in TV tuner would be nice

I would pay up to $899 for such a device. It really is just a very nice netbook without the keyboard and mouse. Come on ASUS or ACER or whoever, make this please!

Last edited by CyGuy; 06-11-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added HDMI output and TV tuner
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
You're short by about $1,400:

http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...let_pc_J34.asp

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have looked at that device, it is much too thick. It is also way overpriced, it should be priced nearer to a good netbook. I still have my hopes on ASUS or ACER to step up to the plate!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you think it's over-priced and too thick, why don't you try building your own?

I believe you're not giving them credit for what they've achieved.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
CyGuy
Avid Reader

I have seriously considered it! I have a netbook that is just perfect to me, it is just not the right form factor. I really have thought about making my own tablet/slate out of a high-end netbook, but I am waiting to see what comes to market in the next few months.
I do applaud the attempt made by Motion, but they seem to have based it off of a high-end notebook instead of a netbook. It is just way too expensive, and too thick.
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I bought my first tablet back in 1999. It contained one little feature that you didn't mention but has been one of the best features of any device I've used since then...
instant on/instant off.

You would not believe how much better using a tablet is when it's instantly accessible all the time. I'm not talking about sleep or hibernation either. Instant on means that you might not have used the tablet for weeks, but instantly as soon as you pick it up to use it... it's on!!!

Since using the feature, every other tablet or computer I've owned has lost points (with me) for not having it.
Once you're spoiled, it's hard to go back.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Instant on in modern devices... yeah, that would be great. I saw something like that in an old... Amiga 1200 (with hard drive).
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard

I just hit the power button to wake up my Fujitsu Stylistic from sleep as I pull it out of my laptop bag --- it's ready to go by the time I've gotten the stylus to the screen.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I just hit the power button to wake up my Fujitsu Stylistic from sleep as I pull it out of my laptop bag --- it's ready to go by the time I've gotten the stylus to the screen.
Aww. The good old Stylistic. Sometimes I miss my old Fujitsu.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
My iPad addresses all of the OP's requirements except

1) screen is a bit smaller, though very good for reading
2) no USB but the camera connection kit solves that. I don't have the need for USB much at all with the iPad. Maybe USB will be in the next version of the iPad.
3) no card reader built in but the camera connection kit at least allows SD card integration. Maybe the next version of the iPad will have a built in card slot.

The iPad is VERY quick and responsive. Instant-on...no waiting for boot-up. The thing flat-out works very smoothly and seamlessly. I've had it for over a month and have never seen it lock up, lag, bog down, wait for something to happen, etc. It's silent, thin and very easy to use.

And certainly less than $1400. Yeah $499 is still much but it's a new device so it will come down dramatically later on.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
CyGuy
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
My iPad addresses all of the OP's requirements except

1) screen is a bit smaller, though very good for reading
2) no USB but the camera connection kit solves that. I don't have the need for USB much at all with the iPad. Maybe USB will be in the next version of the iPad.
3) no card reader built in but the camera connection kit at least allows SD card integration. Maybe the next version of the iPad will have a built in card slot.

The iPad is VERY quick and responsive. Instant-on...no waiting for boot-up. The thing flat-out works very smoothly and seamlessly. I've had it for over a month and have never seen it lock up, lag, bog down, wait for something to happen, etc. It's silent, thin and very easy to use.

And certainly less than $1400. Yeah $499 is still much but it's a new device so it will come down dramatically later on.

I did have my eye on the ipad, but after it was released realized it fell far short of what I need. Still looking...
Old 06-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
Yeah, I was just playing with one in the store yesterday. It definitely works better than any touch-device I've owned (and I've owned a ton). Fantastic screen too.

There might be some tablet computers which give more muscle when it comes to a full-fledged OS, but there's not anything which can touch the iPad for a device where you interact with the screen.

It's quite tempting.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
CyGuy
Avid Reader

I just found the tablet I have been waiting for!

http://blog.laptopmag.com/exopc-slat...en-waiting-for

http://www.exopc.com/en/exopc-slate.php

Last edited by CyGuy; 06-10-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #14
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post

Over 2 pounds and about 12"x8".....ufff-dah! But at least it'll have a web cam, USB and SD slot. I don't need or miss a cam. At least one built in SD and one built in USB port would've been good for the iPad. I don't need them but only rarely, so the optional connector kit works for me. I suspect they'll make it in the next version. I personally like the size of my iPad...any bigger I probably wouldn't have considered it. My goal was to maintain simplicity and size (it's only slightly bigger than my Sony Vaio P530H "ultraportable" net book when it's fully opened and just a few ounces heavier). The screen is generous enough but the device is still small and light enough to hold in one hand. I don't want something that requires support from my arm much of the time.

However, the ExoPC seems to have promise. I love Windows 7 but-even in its most basic form- it's going to require some significant horsepower to make it zip along consistently like the iPad does. That effects battery life as well. Multiple-tasking is nice but that's a double-edged sword: too much of it and you will crash ANY system. The iPad will get some multiple-tasking in the next update but I'm actually doing rather well without it. I've messed with, owned, used and repaired all kinds of computing gear, including many PC slates and tablets in the past. Believe me when I say that I've never been so excited and impressed with a tech product like my iPad. Aside from a few drawbacks, it really IS what PC tablets and slates have tried to be over the years. Sure the iPad will never outsell net books or laptops, but it sure has impacted the computer world sharply!
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #15
CyGuy
Avid Reader

The ExoPC and the WePad are both going to be the ones to watch! Either one could be the device that we have all been wanting for many years. This year and next year are going to be exciting times in the tablet/slate market for sure...