|06-01-2010, 02:00 AM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2008
Device: Kobo Glo, iPad/iPhone
Recommend some comics or graphic novels, please :)
I am enjoying my new iPad. I don't plan to read novels on it (I bought it for other purposes and do prefer the e-ink Kindle for long-form reading) but I must admit, comics and magazines look nice. I am very new to this genre though and don't know what to read or where to get it from. So far, I have:
- Two subscrips through Zinio. Both are for cooking magazines and I am using the screencap feature to save the pages I want to keep forever
- A Sandman freebie I found through a web search. I have read Gaiman's novels but never his comics
- Jim Munroe had a free comic too. Again, I have read his novels but never the comics.
- Someone did a graphic novel adaptation of several Cory Doctorow stories. Downloaded it and am eager to read it.
- Something called 'Bound by Law' which seems to be a comic-style illustration of copyright issues, found using a search for 'creative commons comics' (although I got a lot of junk pages too---if the blog writing about something had a CC license, entries would show up even if what they were writing about was not CC)
- Liberte, a free French textbook. It is below my French level but I am curious to try it since I have heard it is being used in real schools.
- I did find one actual 'golden of comic books' website but was confused about how to begin. It would say something like 'Atomic #63' and I was not sure how to start from the beginning or if I would be disadvantaged by coming in so late...
Where do you go to get good stuff? What do you prefer to read? I'd like pub domain/creative commons if possible so I don't have to worry about learning any new DRM schemes at this point. I am sticking with PDF right now. Using Bookman on the iPad.
|06-01-2010, 02:27 AM||#2|
Join Date: Jan 2009
Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Something that might be fun to check out: Valentine (in 14 languages) by Alex de Campi (alexdecampi on MR)
Her graphic novel series is offered in multiple languages and #1 is free. You could read it in French.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Graphic novels, comics, manga on the PRS 600?||juj1n||Sony Reader||24||10-28-2009 01:53 AM|
|Comics and Graphic Novels Kindle question||Von Allan||Workshop||8||10-26-2009 09:30 PM|
|Graphic Novels||Donnageddon||Reading Recommendations||24||08-08-2008 04:54 PM|
|Graphic Novels & Comics for the reader||DrSiddons||Sony Reader||2||12-01-2007 01:04 PM|
|graphic novels/comics||Annah||iRex||26||07-09-2007 04:28 AM|