Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #31
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
From scotty1024's analysis, using solar cells to charge the battery wouldn't make a difference on the battery's life, but the solar cell w/ capacitor sounds feasible. If the Reader's circuitry is designed to run directly off external power (instead of passing through the battery), then the option would have benefits.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Welcome to MobileRead, Bill P!

The solar cell idea has been kicked around a bit before. If I recall correctly, the general consensus was that it would probalby work well enough, but that's as far as we got.

I don't remember where the discussion was offhand, but a quick forum search would probalby turn it up for you if you want to read it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #33
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
It is said that when writing came into use in India 2000+ years ago, the general populace, especially the religious clergy folks depended on 'texts' committed to memory rather than depend on the 'new technology' of writing on leaves.

I can almost imagine a similar discussion going on back then ...

Religious Clergy1: Hey, the latest Leave Reader is really cool, it's thinner than the bamboo strips from China!
RC2: Right ... so how much does it cost?

RC1: around $349 masaka (a monetary unit in those days) ... $299MSK after a $50MSK mail-in rebate!
RC2: Ouch! That's plenty! How long are these Leave Readers gonna last? Heard they tear quite easily compared to bamboo! If it's only gonna last for 3~5 years, I'm sticking to bamboo or my memory!
RC1: hmmm ...
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #34
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy!
It is said that when writing came into use in India 2000+ years ago, the general populace, especially the religious clergy folks depended on 'texts' committed to memory rather than depend on the 'new technology' of writing on leaves.

I can almost imagine a similar discussion going on back then ...

Religious Clergy1: Hey, the latest Leave Reader is really cool, it's thinner than the bamboo strips from China!
RC2: Right ... so how much does it cost?

RC1: around $349 masaka (a monetary unit in those days) ... $299MSK after a $50MSK mail-in rebate!
RC2: Ouch! That's plenty! How long are these Leave Readers gonna last? Heard they tear quite easily compared to bamboo! If it's only gonna last for 3~5 years, I'm sticking to bamboo or my memory!
Good one I almost p...d myself there!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #35
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy!
Wait a few years and your memory will have less longevity than the Leave Reader.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #36
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura about

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Snappy:

Yes, that's a quaint joke that pokes fun at Luddites and those opposed to technology & innovation, but sometimes there seems to be innovation for its own sake, and then its a good idea to just keep one's masakas.

Take this iPod thingy. I never owned one because I balked at the price, and didn't have internet access to buy the songs. So I bought a Treo 650 that had a SD card slot. now I can rock out on walks, and remind myself when to order fuel,, &tc. Some people have bought 7 iPods in the past decade. How has the technology advanced so much to justify this, and just what were they doing to the things that they were destroyed?

How many people who read this thread have a phonograph? How many use it? By that, I mean to ask how many people have a stack of newly purchased LP's & older content that they listen to on a daily/weekly basis, so that the phonograph is indeed a working component of the sound system, not simply that dusty box the nieces & nephews ask about?
I will guess very few. Some may have them, and dust them off occasionally to listen to some content not available digitally. Maybe many members are closet DJ's who mix their own tracks....
My point is that the phonograph is a useful technology. It survived some...50 odd years as the raining playback device (format wars notwithstanding), but then something truly better came along. Eventually, digitization caused a quantum leap in storage ability, sound quality, and ease of use.

As evidenced by all the squabbles we have within these threads regarding content, its value v. price, availability, &tc, e-texts are better in some ways than paper, not in others.
Everyone needs to think about the phonograph in the corner collecting dust and the 8-track lurking in the basment before we invest in new technology.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #37
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura about

sorry for the half page post....
Old 11-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #38
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I would love to understand the psychology behind gadget lust. I know that, at least from my pov, gadgets always prove to be disappointing in some way. It's a lot like Christmas. You build up a small amount of excitement for the day then, that evening, you feel a little let down. There's nothing you can point at specifically, but you just feel blah.

Gadgets are a lot like that for me. I spend a lot of time looking at gadgets, weighing the possibilities, dreaming of how my life would be affected by this or that device. Almost always I am disappointed in some way. Whether I can't find the "perfect device" or I wind up falling into old patterns of usage or there's a downside that more or less ruins the experience. Either way, there's that initial excitement of getting the device and using it and it's almost always followed by less happy feelings.

Hmmmm... I wonder if I might be talking about the same things people experience with addiction to shopping...
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #39
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MacBook Air
I have very very rarely felt that kind of disappointment. Maybe because I'm obsessive about thinking through the purchase and the cost before I take the plunge. Maybe just because I love gadgets, so it's hard to disappoint. And I usually overanalyze until I get a pretty good idea of the gadget's weaknesses also. But I do tend to stick to pdas, smartphones, computing devices, or accessories with a specific purpose (so it's pretty likely to get used often.) The Sony Reader was actually a bit of a stretch for me. But it was just soooo cool! ;-)

Where I would run into problems is if I would jump on scanners, graphic pads, digital pens, media players, video game stuff, etc that I may not actually end up using.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #40
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Usualy I research items so hard as to almost felt like I had it before getting it. Including mock up in paper to see if size etc is right. Should see the Panasonic LX1 camera mock up.

With the reader. I went though everything I had that could be a reader just to verify if it would be usefully or anything else could do the same thing. Answer NO. Nothing is like this Sony...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #41
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hmm, good points - but who's to say? I don't buy a new gadget because it is the 'newest' thing (my s.o would disagree) but because of what I can do, or learn or create with it, or display what I've created! I too, am a confessed ipod addict but every one of them has improved upon the previous model in ways I can use. Time was when I could barely get from Seattle to Chicago on one charge. My latest nano gets me to Europe easily and then some - truly great! Besides music I use it to listen to NPR podcasts and lectures and learn Italian. And all this in a thinner, more elegant package. For me right now, it is perfect (and I'll probably upgrade to another model if it does something better that I enjoy or need)

A friend of mine is into chinese porcelain (btw, there's an expensive hobby). I think he is crazy for spending $$ for yet another piece and yet he truly enjoys the stuff. I mean, what can you *do* with it? But there again, just a matter of perspective.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:37 AM   #42
mabbts
mabbts began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Thumbs up Leverages Web Content

It's already proven itself very valuable to me. On web subscriptions, I go to the "print" view, cut and paste the article into a word document. Once I've collected all the articles I want to read I transfer the doc onto the reader. I then have them with me in a convenient form. I actually read much more this way--thus my web content subscriptions are now worth more to me.

I hope someone comes out with something like Rhino-skin for this. My Axim has been very durable with much rougher use than the Reader will ever see.

Judging from the dissection pictures from another thread, the battery looks relatively easy to replace. So I don't think battery will be a limiting factor. (That and it's all relative--will I notice getting "only" 2,000 page turns instead of 7,500? I doubt it!)
mabbts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #43
Cthulhu
Technologist

TCV: I Share your pain.

A big part of "tech remorse" for me is actually what seems to give Bob R. & Nightwing contentment: I agonise over the purchase, checking stats, playing with it in the store, making lists for and against, and, the most difficult, explaining to my young wife why I need a $300 phone. I try so desparately to justify my new gadget that I have built it up in my mind to be the sine qua non of tech gloriana that when I do buy it and it only does what it says it does, I am dejected.
The first month I had my Treo 650, I was annoyed at its limitations. Now, with directory assistance, wikipedia, and a camera that can e.mail the USCG inspector & tech service reps, & keep track of company checks I write, I love it and feel wholly justified.

For the Reader to be justifiable (by any of my criteria), I will need to replace all the books in my beat up bookshelf. The sad fact is that many of the books there will most likely not have an electronic counterpoint in my lifetime (P. Mathiessen wrote in the 70's, and I'll be dead long before the copyright runs out).
As Jake points out, the iPod, which I thinnk is five years old, has had numerous tech overhauls in that time, and people keep buying. I hope that SONY's new product is successful enough to enjoy such an evolutionary process.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #44
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
A big part of "tech remorse" for me is actually what seems to give Bob R. & Nightwing contentment: I agonise over the purchase, checking stats, playing with it in the store, making lists for and against, and, the most difficult, explaining to my young wife why I need a $300 phone. I try so desparately to justify my new gadget that I have built it up in my mind to be the sine qua non of tech gloriana that when I do buy it and it only does what it says it does, I am dejected.
I agree with you and I share the same behavior. I can tell you that I tend to take any "con" as they are pointed out in reviews and whatnot as a real detriment to using the product.

Let me offer a couple of examples. (For those of you not interested in the musings of a self-admitted nutjob, please scroll to the end.)

For instance, I had been looking at the Samsung Q UMPC for awhile as a primary, mobile media station. I'd carry it for podcasts, video podcasts, and ebooks. I had reasoned that since I listen to podcasts daily, and since I watch video podcasts often, and since I would like to read more ebooks and have a better chance of finding a format I can read without distraction, then the Q would be a nice purchase.

But then I started to read the reviews and I read about how the cheapest model (at $999) is fairly slow and needs RAM. Then I read about how, while not much so, it's still somewhat bulky. And then I saw the newer models that have a faster CPU, more RAM, and more. But they cost into the mid-1k range. The price started to gnaw at me.

So, I moved on. I reasoned to myself that the iPod w/ Video would be just fine for podcasts and video podcasts and since I'd already more-or-less budgeted $999 for the Q, I could get the Sony Reader and the iPod.

Then I thought, but the battery is not very good. Well, what about the PSP for all of these functions. It can do ebooks, video and audio. Why not? Then I saw the downsides of that. The ebook screens would be quite small and all of my books, as they are, would have to be turned into JPEGs and shown through the photo viewer.

My point here being that each device has downsides that, for me, blow the sky-high ideal that the initial wave of enthusiasm brings.

It seems that I do best when I just buy something and work with the limitations. The only device that I bought where that worked against me was when I purchased the TC1000, Compaq/HP's first TabletPC. Ultimately, it was simply dreadful to use and bothered the heck out of me. But in the case of my Samsung i730 PDA/Phone, I went in knowing only a couple of the downsides and it's proved to be a capable phone, capable PDA, with some minor nuisances that are fairly easy to ignore. (Although, if you read the forums you find yourself ready to pitch the thing out of the window.)

I am simply not very good at buying gadgets.

Cheers,

tcv
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #45
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Ebooks are better in ALMOST every way than Paper Books (though I prefer paper books for personal reasons not technological)

The problem is its VERY HARD to buy ebooks (and they are expensive relative to what your getting)

You see most of the time you CAN NOT buy ebooks. You can buy ENCRYPTED Ebooks but they are not the same thing as ebooks.

Ebooks are digital books. you can read them on anything copy them print them modify them reformat them e-mail them etc.. Very Nice Very Convenient.

Almost every single one of these advantages goes POOF with PURCHASED Electronic books because of the application of DRM.

IE that WILL be the demise of DRM'd ebooks.

When I have a real paper book FIRST you have physical ownership. Second its your physical property to do with as you please.

There are only 2 disadvantages to Paper books.

#1 you can not easily copy/manipulate them (you can not do this with DRM's books either)
#2 they take up physical space - a LOT of it :-) this is not necessarily a bad thing. I pride myself on a large collection of books.

The major advantage of paper books besides holding it physically is that its your PROPERTY unlike with DRM'd ebooks.

I bought $50 in ebooks from sony for one reason and one reason only. They gave me $50 in credit to use.

Short of that or an insanely cheap price (they have some $3 books etc..) I don't forsee buying many books from sony or anyone else for that matter.

I find DRM offensive and immoral and consider it theft of my PPR Personal Property Rights.

DRM'd material is significantly inferior to non DRM'd material yet they charge a premium for it. paying more for less.

the reason CD was and is so successful is that its first a significant perceptable upgrade in all aspects and its WIDE OPEN and UNENCUMBERED with stupid limitations.

the reason MP3 Players took of is NOT because of ITUNES its because they played MP3 a format that was a significant uprade to current formats and again WIDE OPEN AND UNENCUMBERED with limitations.

That asside an ipod user is an ipod user for life if they use itunes. Think about it you spend $500 on itunes songs.

What's your next mp3 player going to be (oh did I forget to tell you that $500 invnstment is worth SQUAT unless you have an ipod)

Yeah that's what I though you were going to buy (another ipod)

Eventually (hopefully) people will realize how crazy DRM is and they will abandon it like some nasty hot potatoe.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote