Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
lasteresitas
Member
lasteresitas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 12
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DXi Bricked - Help Needed!

I have DX global and I wanted to update the software to 2.5 today, Kindle got stuck during update process, I had to reset it. Now it wont start. It keeps resetting and says "Your Kindle needs repair". It keeps alternating from "your Kindle is starting up" and "Software update" screens with flashing in between. I could open the recovery console but dunno what I should do. Do you have any idea of how to bring it back?

I am not in the States and can not send it back to Amazon.

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by lasteresitas; 05-21-2010 at 10:13 AM.
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Feliz Fowlidad!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
poohbear_nc's Avatar
 
Posts: 30,301
Karma: 52350143
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Have you tried turning it completely off [hold the button over to the right for 20-30 seconds] until the unit is totally off - then restart it?

Otherwise - call Amazon Customer Service - they may be able to talk you through some diagnostics/fixes.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mgmueller's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,308
Karma: 13024950
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Augsburg (near Munich), Germany
Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasteresitas View Post
I have DX global and I wanted to update the software to 2.5 today, Kindle got stuck during update process, I had to reset it. Now it wont start. It keeps resetting and says "Your Kindle needs repair". It keeps alternating from "your Kindle is starting up" and "Software update" screens with flashing in between. I could open the recovery console but dunno what I should do. Do you have any idea of how to bring it back?

I am not in the States and can not send it back to Amazon.

Any help will be appreciated.
What happens, if you connect it to PC/Mac? Does it enter USB mode or is still resetting? In USB mode, you could telnet/SSH it, delete the update file, copy the former firmware, shut off, ...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
lasteresitas
Member
lasteresitas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 12
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Have you tried turning it completely off [hold the button over to the right for 20-30 seconds] until the unit is totally off - then restart it?

Otherwise - call Amazon Customer Service - they may be able to talk you through some diagnostics/fixes.

Yes, I did. Then the Kindle starts again with flashes and It keeps alternating from "your Kindle is starting up" and "Software update" screens with flashing in between, then "your kindle needs repair" screen appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
What happens, if you connect it to PC/Mac? Does it enter USB mode or is still resetting? In USB mode, you could telnet/SSH it, delete the update file, copy the former firmware, shut off, ...
When I connect it to a Pc, it doesnt enter USB mode unless I enter the recovery mode holding the home button. There I can see my books and all.
I can copy the former firmware, but how? It was 2.3.3 before I attempted to go for 2.5.

I think what I need is a kind of firmware or an update that will bring the Kindle to its factory defaults.

Any idea?
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mgmueller's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,308
Karma: 13024950
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Augsburg (near Munich), Germany
Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasteresitas View Post
Yes, I did. Then the Kindle starts again with flashes and It keeps alternating from "your Kindle is starting up" and "Software update" screens with flashing in between, then "your kindle needs repair" screen appears.



When I connect it to a Pc, it doesnt enter USB mode unless I enter the recovery mode holding the home button. There I can see my books and all.
I can copy the former firmware, but how? It was 2.3.3 before I attempted to go for 2.5.

I think what I need is a kind of firmware or an update that will bring the Kindle to its factory defaults.

Any idea?
Hmmm, never had to use recovery mode.
But as long as you can see your books, you should be able to manipulate them.
First step probably would be to delete the "defective" firmware.
But before that: Where did you get it? Via Whispernet or some download?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
lasteresitas
Member
lasteresitas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 12
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Hmmm, never had to use recovery mode.
But as long as you can see your books, you should be able to manipulate them.
First step probably would be to delete the "defective" firmware.
But before that: Where did you get it? Via Whispernet or some download?
I downloaded the file. I used the .bin file for DXi in the forum.
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mgmueller's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,308
Karma: 13024950
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Augsburg (near Munich), Germany
Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasteresitas View Post
I downloaded the file. I used the .bin file for DXi in the forum.
In parallel to trying to fix your unit, you should link to the file, to warn others. Or to check, whether others have been lucky with this file and something has gone wrong with your update process.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
lasteresitas
Member
lasteresitas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 12
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Kindle DX
I think it was bad luck, as I read some positive comments about the update, it worked O.K. for some. I got the file from this thread;

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=global

There must be a cure..
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
lasteresitas
Member
lasteresitas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 12
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Kindle DX
I think these guys on www.hi-pda.com and www.duokan.com might have an answer but I do not know any chinese to ask on these forums, if someone could copy paste my problem in Chinese on these forums, I would really appreciate as they seem to provide very technical issues about Kindle.
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #10
FrozenRiver
Member
FrozenRiver began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 14
Join Date: May 2010
Device: kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasteresitas View Post
I think these guys on www.hi-pda.com and www.duokan.com might have an answer but I do not know any chinese to ask on these forums, if someone could copy paste my problem in Chinese on these forums, I would really appreciate as they seem to provide very technical issues about Kindle.
Some people on hi-pda.com are having the same problem. They are trying to resolve it, too. I'll do a little translation once they have posted anything helpful there. I have raised your question on the hi-pda forum.
FrozenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
lasteresitas
Member
lasteresitas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 12
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
Some people on hi-pda.com are having the same problem. They are trying to resolve it, too. I'll do a little translation once they have posted anything helpful there. I have raised your question on the hi-pda forum.
That's so great. I will be waiting. Thank you very very much.
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
grm6
Junior Member
grm6 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: china beijing
Device: kindle 2 international
i english is poor,i try to recover the dxi in the hi-pda form, if ok, i try to help you.
grm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
lasteresitas
Member
lasteresitas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 12
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by grm6 View Post
i english is poor,i try to recover the dxi in the hi-pda form, if ok, i try to help you.
Thank you grm6, I hope you will find a solution.
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
lasteresitas
Member
lasteresitas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 12
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Kindle DX
Well, maybe this is totally irrelevant to my case, but I just want to ask if these could work for my problem, the link is for the source codes of different versions of Kindles.

Do you think I can make any use of them?
grm6, do you have any idea?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200203720
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
lasteresitas
Member
lasteresitas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 12
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
Some people on hi-pda.com are having the same problem. They are trying to resolve it, too. I'll do a little translation once they have posted anything helpful there. I have raised your question on the hi-pda forum.

FrozenRiver,

Is there any progress out there from our Chinese friends? I am kinda losing hopes, I think I am the only one who bricked the Kindle.
I would appreciate if you could contact.
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Kindle DXi has a crack on its stick Over Amazon Kindle 13 09-10-2010 11:40 AM
Hacks Problem on Kindle DXI edwin613 Amazon Kindle 7 07-19-2010 12:18 AM
My Kindle DXi bricked iQQ Amazon Kindle 16 02-07-2010 07:08 AM
Kindle DX and DXI hardware differences fmeyer Kindle Developer's Corner 2 02-02-2010 08:19 PM
Kindle DXi Rookie Snark Introduce Yourself 5 01-27-2010 08:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.