Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
looking for something durable, for my 9-year old

Hello,

My 9-year old daughter is an avid reader. She really likes my ebook reader, and has expressed an interest in one for herself. However, seeing as how she's just 9 and sometimes accidents happen, I'm on the look out for something that is a bit more durable. Although I love the e-ink display on mine, I don't think that's the best option for her. I'd hate for her to drop it and have the screen break. What kind of devices are out there that would work well for a child? I'm not too concerned at this point as to what format it uses, as I don't anticipate buying books for hers. I'll probably just find things in the public domain. Although if it did use adobe epub that would be a plus, as she would be able to check ebooks out at the library. Right now she is using my old Palm T/X, and although she loves it, it's old and the screen does not fully calibrate any more. Not all the places on the screen respond to the stylus, and most of the time it clicks where she's not trying to go. It's nice being able to play games and things, but that's really not a big deal. I'd rather find her something that just works well for reading books. I'm not looking for a touch screen device. And I'm not really looking for an ipod either, as that's just as expensive as an e-ink device, so I'd prefer something that costs less, if possible. I'm not looking for something to do anything except read books. I guess my main concern is something that is durable. She is pretty responsible, but accidents happen. Oh, and also I'm not wanting to spend too much money. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Aluratek Libre is on sale right now, and the hardware is fairly sturdy. I've dropped mine any number of times.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
rrrlakin
shu-shu
rrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: two Astak PP/various kindles
The little hundred dollar windows ce netbooks are about the size of a kindle, protect the screen with a clamshell closure, and can read mobi, text, rtf, pdf without difficulty. I don't know about epub. You can do other things with them, there is a keyboard and a bright color lcd screen. They are also battery-hogs. You can turn the backlight on or off, so read in darkness or sunlight. Weight is not too much different from a kindle in its case. You can rotate the image on the screen--seven inches. Easily available on ebay. Don't pay more than a hundred dollars including shipping.

Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts
rrrlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Aluratek Libre is on sale right now, and the hardware is fairly sturdy. I've dropped mine any number of times.
Thank you! I'll check out the Libre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrlakin View Post
The little hundred dollar windows ce netbooks are about the size of a kindle, protect the screen with a clamshell closure, and can read mobi, text, rtf, pdf without difficulty. I don't know about epub. You can do other things with them, there is a keyboard and a bright color lcd screen. They are also battery-hogs. You can turn the backlight on or off, so read in darkness or sunlight. Weight is not too much different from a kindle in its case. You can rotate the image on the screen--seven inches. Easily available on ebay. Don't pay more than a hundred dollars including shipping.

Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts
I hadn't thought about that option... I will look in to those, as well!

Thank you both for your suggestions!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
PocketBook 360 is quite durable, specifically that it comes with the protective plastic lid.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert