Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
my only complaint is that there is going to have to be some better way for scrolling through a huge list, even left-to-right swipes to find one document out of the 20 or so I loaded into Numbers is a bit of a pain. so we still need some sort of folder metaphor.
Some smart list functionality would go a long way.

Quote:
Yeah, I hope that flounders.

The traditional folder and file management systems are 100% fine.
I used to think that way, but once you get comfortable with smartlist-type management (essentially just database queries wrapped in an easy-to-use interface), trying to manually manage a rat's nest of folders full of thousands of photos or mp3s or whatever starts to seem pretty clunky - after all, computers are supposed to free us from busy work, not create more of it.

It does require a fairly major shift in thinking, though. The old file/folder metaphor is hard to let go of completely.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #17
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post

It does require a fairly major shift in thinking, though. The old file/folder metaphor is hard to let go of completely.
Kovid talked a bit about this when he discussed how he structured Calibre.
I'm an old computer guy, so the file/folder metaphor is comfortable to me, so it is difficult to adjust.

My son started using computers thru websites like Flickr, and he tags everything. On the Mac, he never uses the Finder, and doesn't file stuff. Everything is tagged and searched for using Spotlight. It is just a different approach to getting stuff done-he also adjusted to the iPhone and iPad with zero difficulties.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #18
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i'm an old directory guy myself, but as i collect more and more and more data, tagging and searching just becomes easier. mlocate, grep, spotlight all are handy tools.. but since we still have to put our files somewhere i do try and organize them loosely by folders by date.. my photos are all in yearly sub directories (2010, 2009, 2008) in a photos folder. at least then i can burn backup dvd's loosely organized. folder structures, for me, are great until you have 60,000+ photos you're trying to organize. i just can't worry about navigating a directory structure. throwing them all into aperture and organizing by tags, date stamps and geolocation is far faster, accurate and automated.

the only problem is migrating the collection to a new/different platform. easy to copy a directory structure over. hard to export metatags in a specific application. we need to see some standardization of metadata, or centrally locating it (in the proposed database file systems, or an outright database like oracle, mysql, sqlite).

file systems are here to stay for a while yet..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
crestfalleen
crestfalleen began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Thanks everyone. So many answers and so much help. Again, thanks so much. I'll let my boss know.
crestfalleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #20
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
the only problem is migrating the collection to a new/different platform. easy to copy a directory structure over. hard to export metatags in a specific application. we need to see some standardization of metadata, or centrally locating it (in the proposed database file systems, or an outright database like oracle, mysql, sqlite).

file systems are here to stay for a while yet..
Agreed - I do still use a traditional folder structure for text files and other stuff that isn't necessarily easy to tag or add metadata to. But for media, I no longer worry about it at all, I just dump stuff into whatever program I'm using to manage it. It was a big step, after micro-managing for so long.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
Yeah, and I'll freely agree that I'm one of those stuck in my ways folk that's resistant to change.

I don't have any busy work with the file/folder system. I keep things very organized from the get go and always have with very clear folders, sub folders etc. so it's not like I ever have to create a directory from scratch etc. It's just gradually built up over the years, backed up and moved to every new computer I have.

I'd be very resistant to moving to any kind of smart list or database type system vs. being able to manually manage my files. So I hope any moves in that direction are optional and can be turned off--like turning the start menu, control panel etc. in Windows XP
back to classing Windows 95 style!

But I will say I'm mostly talking about documents, data files etc. for my research and teaching work. I don't have a lot of media content. I don't take a lot of pictures so that's easy to manage. I just make a folder for each set of photos (say each vacation etc.).

Music I just use iTunes--it puts it in folders by artist and album which is how I'd do it myself anyway--so still easy to move to different computers etc.

Video is moot as I don't do digital video. Mainly stick with my DVR and Bluray/dvd for video needs, anything on the PC is just streaming video.

So I can see the tagging system etc. more for media files. Just not a good solution IMO for documents, databases, powerpoint files, pdfs etc. IMO.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-19-2010 at 02:46 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ibooks, sync