Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I think it's more likely that most people read in lower light situations. Here in FL, only fans of skin cancer read in full sun.

is the iPad not large enough to shield the reader from the sun ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
Last time I checked, the iPad was a multimedia device. Can't compare apples to oranges.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Is iPad the best e-reader? Only the individual buyer's opinion counts.
This is what it all boils down to.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
I'd love to have one, but I'd use it mainly for writing. It does a great job of that, and you can get a pretty decent word processing suite for under $10.00 from Apple.

IMO, it's too heavy for long reading, and I doubt the LCD display would be very good for reading in full sun on my deck in summer.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #20
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 3 (Keyboard), Nexus 7 (2013)
I didn't buy an iPad specifically because I was going to be using it mainly for reading (not websurfing, etc), and it just didn't feel like I'd get much reading done on it, between the various apps and the backlit screen. So it's weird for me to even think of it as an ereader. It just doesn't seem to be the iPad's main purpose.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Pranananda can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
I have and iPad, and its strength is not reading books, yet for a (relatively) small device, it does really well with PDF. I prefer to read on my iPod Touch using Stanza because of its light weight.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #22
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPad, Nook Classic
iBooks seem interesting, but I have to agree with some. It is too big and heavy to use for a long reading time and it is not very good outside. I still use my iPod Touch for late night reading and can't wait to get iBooks on it. My friend loves his iPad though and if it gets more people reading that is a good thing.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #23
ShellShock
Guru
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & PRS-650, Kobo Glo & Aura HD
Quote:
I think it's more likely that most people read in lower light situations. Here in FL, only fans of skin cancer read in full sun.
I like to relax in my garden and read.

Even sitting outside in the shade the ipad is much more difficult to read than e-ink, and this is very difficult to do anything about, unless you carry a big carboard box around with you. You can crank up the juice, but that drains the battery quicker.

The disadvantages of e-ink inside are not as bad as the ipad outside. OK, you can't read e-ink in the dark, but mostly when people are in the dark they are inside where there is a source of light readily available--you can even have them built-into the device. E-ink has the advantages of pbooks in this respect, and I therefore think it is superior to the ipad for e-reading.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post

Even sitting outside in the shade the ipad is much more difficult to read than e-ink, and this is very difficult to do anything about, unless you carry a big carboard box around with you. You can crank up the juice, but that drains the battery quicker.

The disadvantages of e-ink inside are not as bad as the ipad outside. OK, you can't read e-ink in the dark, but mostly when people are in the dark they are inside where there is a source of light readily available--you can even have them built-into the device. E-ink has the advantages of pbooks in this respect, and I therefore think it is superior to the ipad for e-reading.
Well said
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:

Even sitting outside in the shade the ipad is much more difficult to read than e-ink, and this is very difficult to do anything about,
I have no problem reading on the iPhone in the shade when I sit outside. I've been doing that for years now .
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #26
Musicman
Addict
Musicman doesn't litterMusicman doesn't litterMusicman doesn't litter

Device: nook - EZ-Reader - Acer Netbook - Ipaq 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
Last time I checked, the iPad was a multimedia device. Can't compare apples to oranges.
I agree that the Ipad cannot be compared to an Ereader - It is more appropriate to compare it to a Netbook, and in my opinon a Netbook gives you more value for your money.

It is also interesting how in the BI (before Ipad) era how everyone champion the better quality of eink, and all of sudden since the release of the Ipad an eink display has become inferior.....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #27
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
It is also interesting how in the BI (before Ipad) era how everyone champion the better quality of eink, and all of sudden since the release of the Ipad an eink display has become inferior.....
I think the problem with E-ink is they've had 13 years to develop it to a fuller potential and have not .
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Flyer; BBMini; Sony PRS650; Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I have not read E-Book ipad.
What is its genre? What is it about?
If it is a fantasy and taking into the account that it became the best, I might give it a try.
You worded exactly what I thought when I saw the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream88 View Post
After Apple released iPad,it attracts so many people,does it mean ipad has became the best E-Book?
No. There is no best reader. All readers have advantages and disadvantages. It is a popular device at the moment and a lot people are probably trying it out to read, just for kicks. I wonder how many will actually really read on it, though.

Quote:

I like the relax in my garden and read as well. But e-ink is not superior to a LCD screen for e-reading in my book. Nor is LCD superior to e-ink. They both have their (dis)-advantages.

I like to read outside or in well-lit areas. My JE100 is absolutely not fit for that. My BeBook Mini is. I also like to read in bed. My BeBook Mini is absolutely not fit for that. My JE100 is. It has a light built in!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #29
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
fuller potential
What do you mean?

eInk is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It is a technology that allows one to read books for days or weeks without worrying about battery life and, the most important bit, doesn't cause eye strain like backlit screens. It also allows one to read outside on a sunny day in a shade without any problems vs. any backlit gadget.
Just like a printed book only lighter, more compact and might have hundreds of books in it at the same time.

Some user, like you, might claim, that they can read outside on current backlit screens without any problems at all, but you are the lucky minority (I honestly envy you). Unfortunately, the majority of people struggle with backlit screen outside. There is nothing can be done about it.
Although, even you, cannot claim that you can have a transatlantic flight, 10h long + 2 hours to get to the airport, plus there might be a delay and not to worry about battery life with current backlit screens.

Mind you, we are talking about ebook readers, not multi-purpose gadgets. We are talking only about reading books.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #30
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm outside in the shade now, on my IPad. Read some news on my favorite sites. Then went to B&N's site, bought a few books. Checked e-mail. Then popped into MobileRead. Will now finish my Kindle book, which I bought yesterday on iPad.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad