Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #61
Victoria
Addict
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, kindle touch & kindle wp2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

followed by Harry Potter.
Me too...I love many many books, and love rereading them. But these two completely transport me into their universes.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #62
Suzy Kindlefan
Suzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Just finished re-reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.
I love ANYTHING by P.G. Wodehouse. (I love to laugh)

I read over and over again several books by Charles de Lint. Lyrical, dreamy prose that literally takes you away into an alternate plane of reality.
Suzy Kindlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #63
Oldtribe
Oldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipse

Device: CyBook Gen3
If it's got to be one, I'll name A Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin.

Although next time somebody asks, I'll probably have some other book in mind.
Oldtribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #64
Suzy Kindlefan
Suzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Forgot to add: anything by Tim Dorsey.

The Serge Storms books are funny, funny, funny.
Suzy Kindlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 AM   #65
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony 350/T1,Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD/HD+, Fire HDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreman View Post
This one is easy for me...my criteria is what book would I buy again if I was traveling and needed something to read, even though I may have the book at home.

I have (3) paperback copies of "Red Storm Rising" on my bookshelf, all purchased while traveling and as a direct result of some very poor choices in reading material selection before those trips.

I'll bet most people don't recall that book came out about (9) months before a real meeting between Reagan/Gorbachev in Keflavik, Iceland. So when the meeting took place, I was already familiar with Iceland and Keflavik and the strategic importance of Iceland.

LOL! I've got that book in paperback, hardcover and audiobook (abridged and unabridged). It gets a re-read every couple of years.

You might also like "Running Blind", a suspense novel by Desmond Bagley, also set in Iceland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running...d_Bagley_novel)
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #66
Coreman
Coreman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
LOL! I've got that book in paperback, hardcover and audiobook (abridged and unabridged). It gets a re-read every couple of years.

You might also like "Running Blind", a suspense novel by Desmond Bagley, also set in Iceland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running...d_Bagley_novel)
Well at least I feel more normal now!! I didn't include the original hardcopy because that was my first read...the other (3) were bought while traveling, (1) is American edition and (2) are UK version (bought in Heathrow and Singapore).

I'll try out Running Blind...thanks for the suggestion!

Just as an aside, I've read a lot of Clancy and continue to read him but (like many authors,e.g. Grisham) his later offerings fall short of his first efforts.
Coreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #67
MinaVE
MinaVE began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Having a hard time thinking of an all-time favorite, but The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy) is worth a mention. I stopped reading for fun during college for some reason, and this book brought me back in.
MinaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #68
c_cicca
c_cicca began at the beginning.

Device: none
"Zorba the Greek"
"I fear nothing I hope for nothing i am free"
Nikos Kazantzakis.
c_cicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #69
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I love her other books too. North and South by Gaskell also. Love my classics
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #70
Hamlet53
Noli Me Tangere
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_cicca View Post
"Zorba the Greek"
"I fear nothing I hope for nothing i am free"
Nikos Kazantzakis.
Yes, that is one of my favorite quotes ever. I've already decided that a variation of it is going on my tombstone: “No more hopes, no more fears, I am free.” Plagiarism be dammed. Have you also read Report to Greco and The Saviors of God?
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #71
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Watership Down by Richard Adams.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote