Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #31
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Some recent books (not classics) I've liked:

A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
Small World - David Lodge
A Dance to the Music of Time - Anthony Powell
This Thing of Darkness - Harry Thompson
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #32
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Sony T3 (PRS-350 & 505, both in blue and gone)
Lolita - Nabokov

and

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Murakami

avoided Lolita for years due to inverted snobbery.... and some weird anti-Sting/Police thing.

Oh - if you like 'Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy', you must get Douglas Adams' 'Dirk Gently' books. 2 of them, and his best character creation of all.
http://www.amazon.com/Dirk-Gentlys-H.../dp/0671746723
http://www.amazon.com/Long-Dark-Tea-..._bxgy_b_text_b

Long dark tea-time of the soul..... genius, i tell you.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #33
fiver
Enthusiast
fiver doesn't litterfiver doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Watership Down by Richard Adams has been my favorite book since I was ten - read it 4 times so far.

followed closely by

Neverness by David Zindell

Michael
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #34
DannyElfman
Groupie
DannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung E60
Lord of the Rings
L'Assommoir (Emile Zola)
DannyElfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #35
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 3 (Keyboard), Nexus 7 (2013)
Tough question. I can't really choose one, but the top contenders would be:
Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
Interview With a Vampire - Anne Rice
Phineas Finn - Anthony Trollope (or He Knew He Was Right, or The Prime Minister)
West With the Night - Beryl Markham
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #36
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiver View Post
Watership Down by Richard Adams has been my favorite book since I was ten - read it 4 times so far.

Michael
Ah - forgot about this one. Have read it many times as it holds special memories for me. Definitely on the favourite list
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #37
aabeg100
Enthusiast
aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex Iliad
Its hard to select one but if I have to I would say GODFATHER by Mario Puzo. I don't know why but I really enjoy reading this book. I guess I am intrigued by the character of the godfather and how he manages/manipulates people.
aabeg100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #38
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrab View Post
So, what is your favorite book?
My favorite is always the next one, the one I haven't read yet.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #39
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would have said that my currently recollected favourite was Bliss by Peter Carey, though the posts of others have reminded me of books like Neverness and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Then I'm reminded of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Under Milk Wood. An Imaginary Life was/is a book I loved from when I first was forced to read it at high school...

...but I probably come back to Bliss, even if I haven't been enamored with others of Carey's books I've read.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #40
Robert Minneman
Connoisseur
Robert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wow... Read all the replies so far and saw a lot of books that would be up there, but for me it would probably be:

Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard (don't judge the book by the movie, if Dianetics has a hell, John Travolta is going to its deepest darkest corner for what he did with that movie ) . By now I've probably read that book close to 50 times.

All the rest of the close contenders would be:

Almost anything written by Heinlein, Asimov, Herbert, or Card.

My favorite Heinlein book would be a tie between Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Number of the Beast, and The Past through Tomorrow.

Asimov, of course the foundation series.

Herbert, the Dune series, including the later ones his son participated in authoring.

Card, the Ender series, and his Eden books too were a pretty darn good romp.
Robert Minneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #41
kevrab
kevrab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
One of my other favorite books is "Catcher In The Rye" because this is the bookthat turned me onto reading. (Please put it in e-book format)

I went to a Catholic school and our seventh grade teacher, Mrs. Masek---great teacher, had the guts to assign it to us. Of course the sh*t hit the fan but it gave us kids the more emphasis to read the book.
kevrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #42
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 3GS; Kindle 4 (Black); Nook HD+
Really hard, and I couldn't pick just one:

Any list would have to include the following, though:
LOTR,
Red Storm Rising,
Alas, Babylon (Pat Frank).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #43
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Long dark tea-time of the soul..... genius, i tell you.
Amen.

Though, if I can only choose one book, it would be Bridge of Birds, by Barry B. Hughart.
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #44
Dren
Dren began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW & Kobo Glo
Legend by David Gemmell
The Belgariad by David Eddings
The Riftwar series by Raymond E Feist

Wonderful books that transformed my reading from an occasional pastime to a lifelong passion.
Dren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #45
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Naming just one is so cruel, but here goes: THE TOMORROW FILE by Lawrence Sanders, a terrific futuristic thriller from my all-time favorite author.
L.J.
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2012 at 07:47 AM.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote