Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
yrvn
yrvn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook free books outside US

Hi all, I'm from Uruguay and since last monday I have a Nook, really happy with it

Want to ask about something that I don't understand. Searched some free book, found Dracula then "buy it" without any problems and downloaded it, now every time I try to buy one free it tells me that i can't. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks
yrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Most books at B&N are only for the US. When you pay, your IP-address is checked for the country. You need a USA VPN (I use alwaysvpn.com) to buy books from B&N from outside the US.
You should not have been able to buy the first book. I do not know why you could buy that one.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
dyrinn45
dyrinn45 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
they also ask for a valid U.S. or Canadian shipping address as well as a valid U.S. or Canadian credit/debit card if I remember correctly.
dyrinn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrinn45 View Post
they also ask for a valid U.S. or Canadian shipping address as well as a valid U.S. or Canadian credit/debit card if I remember correctly.
You do indeed need a valid US address.
You can just use our own credit card, with the US address as the billing address. The address is not verified with your credit card company.
This works fine with my Dutch Visa card.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
yrvn

Thanks all for your answers.
@geertm Me neither, it's strange. I was amazed that it downloaded the book inmediatelly without doing anything and now in every free book it says download and when i tap it says that there is a problem with the payment.
I tried entering my Visa info and a USA address i have for buying and sending there my things but it reject me too

Last edited by yrvn; 05-04-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrvn View Post
Thanks all for your answers.
@geertm Me neither, it's strange. I was amazed that it downloaded the book inmediatelly without doing anything and now in every free book it says download and when i tap it says that there is a problem with the payment.
I tried putting my Visa info and a USA address i have to buy and send there my things but it reject me too
Just using an USA address is not enough. You also need to use an USA VPN so that B&N sees a USA IP-address. I use alwaysvpn.com myself (just $8.50 for the cheapest option).

According to some information in the B&N forum there has been a error on the B&N servers at the time you bought the free e-book. That was probably the reason you could buy the first book.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
yrvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Just using an USA address is not enough. You also need to use an USA VPN so that B&N sees a USA IP-address. I use alwaysvpn.com myself (just $8.50 for the cheapest option).

According to some information in the B&N forum there has been a error on the B&N servers at the time you bought the free e-book. That was probably the reason you could buy the first book.
Tried with a USA VPN, the Star Wars book that in the library the download button was greyed out, now it's enabled but when i click on it, it says "Unlock credit card is invalid or expired. Update and try again." Tried in the nook and the same message that couldn't be downloaded (I know that my ip address on nook still the same).

Well i think that I'll have to use the nook only with sideloaded content. B&N, the rest of the world exists too!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Tried with a USA VPN, the Star Wars book that in the library the download button was greyed out, now it's enabled but when i click on it, it says "Unlock credit card is invalid or expired. Update and try again." Tried in the nook and the same message that couldn't be downloaded (I know that my ip address on nook still the same).

Well i think that I'll have to use the nook only with sideloaded content. B&N, the rest of the world exists too!
Registering the credit card in your B&N account is not enough. You also need to make it your default credit card.
The B&N DRM needs a default credit card to encrypt the book when it is downloaded.
After you make your credit card the default credit card for your account you should be able to download the books from the B&N website and on your Nook (you must have registered your Nook for this).
Do not give up You are almost there

You only need the VPN when buying books. After the books are paid for you can download them anywhere in the world.

Last edited by geertm; 05-05-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added VPN info
Old 05-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
yrvn

Quote:
Registering the credit card in your B&N account is not enough. You also need to make it your default credit card.
The B&N DRM needs a default credit card to encrypt the book when it is downloaded.
After you make your credit card the default credit card for your account you should be able to download the books from the B&N website and on your Nook (you must have registered your Nook for this).
Do not give up You are almost there

You only need the VPN when buying books. After the books are paid for you can download them anywhere in the world.
Hi, didn't noticed that about the default payment and billing address. I selected both, and in the library at barnesandnoble.com keeps saying "Update Your Default Credit Card
Unlock credit card is invalid or expired. Update and try again."
Both book i'm trying to download have Shipped status in Orders.

When i try to download these book in the Nook, it says "Unable to complete the operation. Please call 1-800-THE-BOOK if the problem persists"

Thanks a lot for your help but it seems that all of us outside the US will have to wait for buying or enjoing free books in the Nook
Old 05-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #10
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Hi, didn't noticed that about the default payment and billing address. I selected both, and in the library at barnesandnoble.com keeps saying "Update Your Default Credit Card
Unlock credit card is invalid or expired. Update and try again."
Both book i'm trying to download have Shipped status in Orders.

When i try to download these book in the Nook, it says "Unable to complete the operation. Please call 1-800-THE-BOOK if the problem persists"

Thanks a lot for your help but it seems that all of us outside the US will have to wait for buying or enjoing free books in the Nook
It works for me here in the Netherlands, so it should also work for you.
Just to make sure. You do use the USA address as the billing address for you credit card? Because otherwise it will not work.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
It works for me here in the Netherlands, so it should also work for you.
Just to make sure. You do use the USA address as the billing address for you credit card? Because otherwise it will not work.
Works for me in Germany as well. Exactly the way you describe: US billing address, German credit card, US IP address via VPN.
To the OP: It's not B&N's decision. Unfortunately, publishers decide about regional restrictions and force them onto B&N and others.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #12
yrvn

Hi! Sorry for the delay. Finally I "buyed" some free ebooks, don't know what the problem was so i deleted my credit card and address, added them again and finally works Thanks for the help!

One thing that I find is that you can "buy" free books from Google Books, don't understand why don't they let us to download them straigth from google books and have to buy them as they were from B&N

I bought a SD card and installed it without problems Now my Nook has 5 Gb!

Did you rooted it? Any advices about that? (know that void my guarantee but the posibillity to take it to US for using it they are totally imposible )
Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Hi! Sorry for the delay. Finally I "buyed" some free ebooks, don't know what the problem was so i deleted my credit card and address, added them again and finally works Thanks for the help!

One thing that I find is that you can "buy" free books from Google Books, don't understand why don't they let us to download them straigth from google books and have to buy them as they were from B&N

I bought a SD card and installed it without problems Now my Nook has 5 Gb!

Did you rooted it? Any advices about that? (know that void my guarantee but the posibillity to take it to US for using it they are totally imposible )
I've softrooted mine. I only need a single feature, but this one simply is brilliant: I've exchanged the original AT&T card and have replaced it by my Germany SIM. Now I've got WiFi and fully functional 3G. Others love the nooklibrary for sideloaded books.
Softrooting is extremely easy. No command line or anything else like that. Just copying some files and pressing some buttons. 10 minutes or less.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
yrvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've softrooted mine. I only need a single feature, but this one simply is brilliant: I've exchanged the original AT&T card and have replaced it by my Germany SIM. Now I've got WiFi and fully functional 3G. Others love the nooklibrary for sideloaded books.
Softrooting is extremely easy. No command line or anything else like that. Just copying some files and pressing some buttons. 10 minutes or less.
Thanks, i was thinking in doing it to mine because the library for the sideloaded content. It's really awful the possibillity to only sort the sideloaded content. It has to be the same as the B&N content. Will try softrooting it in next days. Don't know if my 3G chip 'll work in my nook, i'll have to read about it, could be really cool to have 3G access too