Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #16
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 66
Karma: 500010
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Greenfield, MA
Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
So far, I've bought two DRMed ePubs, and both of them had that same problem. The only way to fix it: Remove the DRM, unzip the .epub file, and edit resulting files. (In both these cases, it was somewhere else besides the .css file.)
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DaleDe's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,540
Karma: 4597554
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post
So far, I've bought two DRMed ePubs, and both of them had that same problem. The only way to fix it: Remove the DRM, unzip the .epub file, and edit resulting files. (In both these cases, it was somewhere else besides the .css file.)
What was the problem(s) that caused it not to work?

Dale
DaleDe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 66
Karma: 500010
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Greenfield, MA
Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
What was the problem(s) that caused it not to work?

Dale
In both cases they were Star Trek books, which mean the same publisher (S&S), and similar, although different, layouts. The file in question, in both cases, was OEBPS/page-template.xpgt (after DRM-removal and unzipping). This file contains different page margins for different column formats (one-column, two-column, or three-column; as well as one-, two-, or three-column heads). I merely edited the one-column entries (both with and without the head component) to 0em for everything.

I also edited parts of the .css file and, at least for one of the books, all(?) of the .html files, but those were for other reasons.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DaleDe's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,540
Karma: 4597554
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post
In both cases they were Star Trek books, which mean the same publisher (S&S), and similar, although different, layouts. The file in question, in both cases, was OEBPS/page-template.xpgt (after DRM-removal and unzipping). This file contains different page margins for different column formats (one-column, two-column, or three-column; as well as one-, two-, or three-column heads). I merely edited the one-column entries (both with and without the head component) to 0em for everything.

I also edited parts of the .css file and, at least for one of the books, all(?) of the .html files, but those were for other reasons.
So margin changes in xpgt was enough to completely make the file not work? Wow that sounds like a serious bug in ADE. That is their own extension to the standard. They should certainly be able to handle it. How did the crash manifest itself?

Dale
DaleDe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #20
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 66
Karma: 500010
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Greenfield, MA
Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So margin changes in xpgt was enough to completely make the file not work? Wow that sounds like a serious bug in ADE. That is their own extension to the standard. They should certainly be able to handle it. How did the crash manifest itself?

Dale
The problem I had wasn't that it would crash; the problem was as oncdoc described--zooming in to a larger font made the margins wider, hence very little actual text per screen page at a readable font.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dopedangel's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,089
Karma: 8499999
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
I keep reading about formating problems with epubs and adobe ade.
And I wonder why people having these problems have not tried buggins custom firmware
With the latest version you don't even need to rename epub files an add .fb2 in front of their names as a long presss load epub in coolreader. So you can still use adobe ade for your drm files.
You don't need to reload a book to see how different fonts would look
as in the latest version it even shows how each font will look like so you can compare different fonts on the same screen.
Maybe most people don't like to try software that has beta or experimental attached to it but this is not a computer installing a custom firmware is not hard nor does it stop you from going back to original firmware if you don't like it.
Sorry about this unrelated rant on this thread
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DaleDe's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,540
Karma: 4597554
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post
The problem I had wasn't that it would crash; the problem was as oncdoc described--zooming in to a larger font made the margins wider, hence very little actual text per screen page at a readable font.
Ah, thanks for that. It is clear now. So the book manufacturer used values like ems which grow when the font size grows. This is clearly a problem with the formatting of the source book and feedback to that effect should be submitted back to the publisher.

Dale
DaleDe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #23
jusmee
Guru
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 978
Karma: 203682
Join Date: Oct 2009
Device: Kobo Touch / Astak Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I keep reading about formating problems with epubs and adobe ade.
And I wonder why people having these problems have not tried buggins custom firmware
With the latest version you don't even need to rename epub files an add .fb2 in front of their names as a long presss load epub in coolreader. So you can still use adobe ade for your drm files.
You don't need to reload a book to see how different fonts would look
as in the latest version it even shows how each font will look like so you can compare different fonts on the same screen.
Maybe most people don't like to try software that has beta or experimental attached to it but this is not a computer installing a custom firmware is not hard nor does it stop you from going back to original firmware if you don't like it.
Sorry about this unrelated rant on this thread
No, thanks, it will help me. But which version is this? It's the Lbook software? I am running that, a fairly recent version too, but which one has this feature of not needing to rename?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #24
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dopedangel's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,089
Karma: 8499999
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
I have the six inch version and long press opens epub in coolreader it has done so for months now.
Their is link to the latest in the forum try it. The one you are using should have the option
if I remember correctly if you long press and it doesn't open the ebook it should give you the option of open copy or delete.
Selecting open should open it in coolreader
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #25
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 299
Karma: 300
Join Date: May 2009
Device: kindle, pocket pro
so are you guys saying that on my pocket pro in order to read epub with coolreader. just hold the epub file down for a while. so no installation of other software? please help
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #26
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
polly's Avatar
 
Posts: 454
Karma: 270240
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
It's not working for me either, using the 5/20 version of LBook on a 5" PEz. A long press brings up open as an option, but the DRM free ePub still opens with ADE. From the posts it looks like this might be a feature of the 6" firmware? Maybe something to look forward to in a future update? Does anyone have this working on a 5"?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #27
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 299
Karma: 300
Join Date: May 2009
Device: kindle, pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
It's not working for me either, using the 5/20 version of LBook on a 5" PEz. A long press brings up open as an option, but the DRM free ePub still opens with ADE. From the posts it looks like this might be a feature of the 6" firmware? Maybe something to look forward to in a future update? Does anyone have this working on a 5"?
i could not get it to work either on my pocket pro. what to do now?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 299
Karma: 300
Join Date: May 2009
Device: kindle, pocket pro
Polly, I got some pythons scripts to work after hours to release my ade epub and then converted to fb2... now in bliss.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DaleDe's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,540
Karma: 4597554
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
i could not get it to work either on my pocket pro. what to do now?
One thing you can always do it just append an extension of .fb2 on the epub files. No need to change them. They are still epub but you will fool the launcher to think they are fb2 and CoolReader 3.0 an read either format. This works with the latest lBook firware and the EZ Reader firmware also.

Dale
DaleDe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #30
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 299
Karma: 300
Join Date: May 2009
Device: kindle, pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
One thing you can always do it just append an extension of .fb2 on the epub files. No need to change them. They are still epub but you will fool the launcher to think they are fb2 and CoolReader 3.0 an read either format. This works with the latest lBook firware and the EZ Reader firmware also.

Dale
i guess i dotn know what to do. I renamed the file to end with .fb2 but that did not work

how do you append?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic eBook stores that use PayPal? JewishMatt Barnes & Noble NOOK 12 01-15-2012 12:37 PM
What stores' ebooks work on what ereaders? J. Strnad General Discussions 4 09-30-2010 05:12 PM
Which eBook stores work with which eReaders? pwjone1 Which one should I buy? 3 07-12-2010 01:42 AM
PRS-600 Best Ebook Stores Other Than Sony? twinszz Sony Reader 2 12-22-2009 12:20 PM
What are the best eBook stores and why? Over Reading Recommendations 18 07-12-2008 11:06 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.