Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #31
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I gave this a try but couldn't get it to work. Perhaps someone can give me a pointer.

Went to duokan.com and downloaded the kindle 3 file. I don't read Chinese so I'm only guessing. The rar file is 51mb or so.

Extracted the files onto my kindles root. Copied the bin file that corresponded to my serial number B008 to the root. Went into settings and told it to update my kindle. It did something, put up the update successful screen rather quickly, then restarted. But nothing changed. Everything looks the same.

First time, I extracted the root of the rar. Then I tried again, this time extracting everything under the duokan folder so the DK_XXXXXXX folders and the others are at the kindles root. But neither did the trick.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:28 AM   #32
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
I got it running on my K3 Wifi just now by downloading the 9月30号Kindle3发布版本.rar from the duokan main page, then I copied these four items to the Kindle root:

DK_Documents
DK_Pictures
DK_System
update_duokan_08.bin
(Because my serial # is B008... like yours).

Then after an update from the settings page, it rebooted and came up with the Chinese "Hit Q for Duokan or W for Kindle" page.

Is that the same as what you did?
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #33
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the reply. Yes that's what I did. I even got the update successful, kindle will now restart screen, but after a restart it just goes to the kindle home screen. I don't get the select kuodan or kindle screen.

Did you root your kindle? Install something on your PC beforehand?

I have firmware 3.0.2 preview. Maybe that's the problem?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #34
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
For those that can speak Chinese, any update on when the English translation of this firmware will be released for the Kindle 3?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #35
floriano
Enthusiast
floriano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How can I restore my original firmware after installing this?
floriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #36
lingyizhenyi
lingyizhenyi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle 3, Palm 650, Ipad, Blackberry 8900
Quote:
Originally Posted by floriano View Post
How can I restore my original firmware after installing this?
Deleting those DK_*** folders in the root directory will do the job.
lingyizhenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:12 AM   #37
lingyizhenyi
lingyizhenyi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle 3, Palm 650, Ipad, Blackberry 8900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
For those that can speak Chinese, any update on when the English translation of this firmware will be released for the Kindle 3?
They've been working on the English translation since last month, but no information on release date is known.

http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-2507-1-1.html
lingyizhenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #38
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Hmm, that's strange that it's not working for you.

Now that you mention it, I did install the Jailbreak as detailed in the screensaver & fonts hack thread in order to get the screensaver hack working. Maybe that makes a difference?

My Kindle OS is v3.0.2, but I haven't installed any preview versions or anything.

You might try running the installer again? (i.e. when logic fails, use voodoo!)
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #39
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Hi, tried Duokan, works good, it will be a hit when it gets an English translation, but actually since the symbols next to the chinese text it is understandable enough to use it.

Question is, can I set up my wlan somewhere? I could not find it anywhere.
Not that I really need it, but since I can't connect to my WLAN with the kindle firmware (I can see my WLAN but not connect to it) I thought it might be worth to try to get connected with Duokan, but I just can't find the WLAN settings...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #40
floriano
Enthusiast
floriano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
I got it running on my K3 Wifi just now by downloading the 9月30号Kindle3发布版本.rar from the duokan main page, then I copied these four items to the Kindle root:

DK_Documents
DK_Pictures
DK_System
update_duokan_08.bin
(Because my serial # is B008... like yours).

Then after an update from the settings page, it rebooted and came up with the Chinese "Hit Q for Duokan or W for Kindle" page.

Is that the same as what you did?
Likewise, but this is only the duokan boot screen. For me the bootscreen freezes and that's it. I am using fw 3.02.

I tried to start duokan manually via ssh and got the following output:

/mnt/us/DK_System/system/key/keymap.k
Segmentation fault

I am wondering if the segfault is related to the keymap file. This keymap file is apparently the keymap of the kindle 2 since it uses key which are not available on kindle 3 (e.g. slash key).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by floriano; 10-09-2010 at 07:04 PM.
floriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #41
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Hi, Daniel's blog reports faster page-turning speed...
Would those of you who use Duokan confirm that?

Smiles,

Andy
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #42
richardb
richardb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG + Kindle 3
Installed Duokan on my jailbreaked Kindle 3 and Kindle DXG. Works everything fine.

Pages turns lightning fast! You can even adjust the speed of the turning.

German umlauts are not displayed, except a strange looking "ü". Anybody an idea where to look for?

In the settings "0" page no.2 under "H." you can setup the language. At the moment Simpl. & Trad. Chinese. English, Japanese and Korean are greyed out!

The PDF zoom-features are excellent!
richardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #43
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Share the same great feelings about duokan, great job!

My native language characters are also not displayed outside of PDF. I am not sure if it is fonts problem or software configuration. I will try to upload other fonts. However in PDF all kind of fonts are displayed because they are embedded in PDF itself. With reflow mode also my characters are missing.
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:50 AM   #44
richardb
richardb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG + Kindle 3
It must be a software problem, because I first substituted the fonts (/linkfonts/fonts ) with my fonts which works with the jailbreak and shows my native language. Then in the text I selected my font and duokan just omits the umlauts except ü
richardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #45
DaH
DaH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (Graphite)
Duokan source

Hi, is anyone here english speaking and actively working on duokan?

Could you please point me to some sources to build the firmware (tar.gz, git tree, or simply anything)? So far I've only seen the binary builds and (being an IT guy with a bit of a Linux exp. myself) I was hoping I could have a peek or perhaps help with a thing or two...

Thanks in advance...
DaH is offline   Reply With Quote