Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #16
GSteer
Flying Monkies!
GSteer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo [White]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Wow GSteer, that is some wild manifestation.

Out of curiosity, do any of those ePubs have apostrophe's in the filename? That seems to be a pretty common reason for this message. Does removing the apostrophe help in any of the cases? I've been able to make the message go away via removing apostrophe's, but granted I only tried to access them via the I'm Reading list when they are new, not from the bookshelf.

I don't really want to mess around with tracking this down, but I would be very curious to learn about your tinkering
Update from me:

The affected book had white spaces in the ePubs name, internally the html file is index.html and the opf file is content.opf (think I miss the reference to what the opf file has to do with anything?).

With whitespaces in the epubs name it exhibits the previously mentioned behaviour and...let me check.....(insert 5 mins)...without the white spaces it...does the same thing.

Back to the drawing board for me.
GSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #17
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
The content.opf file contains the reference to index.html, or what ever the html file is called in the epub file. Its just a simple text file that you can edit.

As far as i can tell, some files with internal names with apostrophes and whitespaces will work, but some don't. Those that don't after i rename the html file to index.html and the reference in content.opf it works fine.

From what i can tell so far, i don't think file name length matters or what symbols they are in it. It's possible there may be other internal references in the other files of the epub that are broken when i rename the html file and that could have fixed it.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #18
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Well this is bloody bullshit. My kobo ran out of power half way through a book, and after charging it again, the book i was reading is now content lock. Only uploading it again fixed it. Sigh... now i have to remember where i stopped.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #19
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I've only ever gotten content locked messages from PDF files, I found a program that unlocks them, but it only works for one of my files, the other one claims to not have a lock at all.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #20
drawlll
drawlll began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi I'm a new member and this is my first post.

I am having this problem as well, it has happened twice, which means it is not an isolated glitch. It only seems to happen when I load new content.

I suppose a short term answer is not to load too many books and finish reading them all before loading more. Sigh
drawlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #21
Psi-Theory
Psi-Theory began at the beginning.

Ha, I had this problem about 10 minutes ago. I couldn't figure it out, then read this thread, took the apostrophe out of the name, and problem solved
Psi-Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
ViralMage
ViralMage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
First off, I'd like to thank everyone in this thread. I had no idea what to look for before I came here.
Alright. It took a little bit of testing, but I've discovered some things.
Apostrophes inside the ePub files (content.opf and toc.ncx) didn't affect my ability to open the file. Apostrophes in the file name and folder name did cause the Content Locked screen. The book I tried to open was "Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life" by Bryan Lee O'Malley. I had to remove the apostrophes in "Pilgrim's" and "O'Malley" in the file name and folder name on the device order to open the file. I did not need to unzip the ePub file and remove apostrophes in content.opf and toc.ncx, but they do exist, so I know they aren't causing a problem.

So, if you have problems, just plug in the device, open Kobo Reader in My Computer, and remove the apostrophes in folder and file names. If that doesn't solve your problem, it must be another bug.

It seems like an easy enough bug to fix. I hope it's fixed soon. Thanks again, everyone!
ViralMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #23
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
LOL, always read the forums before tackling issues. I knew about the aposthrophe thing in the titles but didn't realise it was in the folder names too. Been working on the Scott Pilgrim books (bring on July), and couldn't work out why it didn't fix until I removed it from the folder names (did it via removing it from the Author/Titles in Calibre).

Could see this being a problem for a lot of home made epubs.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #24
carynb
carynb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thanks!

I was wondering why I kept getting a e-pub locked message for a non DRM'ed file. Turns out, the author's name is O'Reilly. *g*

I deleted the apostrophe from the file name and folder name , and I can now read the book, no problem. Now I just have to go in and fix the fonts. Sigh.
carynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #25
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by carynb View Post
Thanks!

I was wondering why I kept getting a e-pub locked message for a non DRM'ed file. Turns out, the author's name is O'Reilly. *g*

I deleted the apostrophe from the file name and folder name , and I can now read the book, no problem. Now I just have to go in and fix the fonts. Sigh.
Check this out:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83209

One of our MR members here created a quick app that can either just remove the troublesome font-size: lines, or nuke the CSS entirely (although I don't know why you would do that with the first option available)

Cheers! Welcome to MobileRead, glad to have you aboard
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #26
Musketeer
Musketeer began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnslcwby View Post
I had the same problem with some ePubs. It went away when I renamed the file to not have an apostrophe in the file name.
Seems like a bug to me.
Great forum! I've been lurking here for the past 2 weeks, first as I considered buying a Kobo and then finding out how to get the most out of it when I did.

Just signed up to say thanks for this tip! It fixed the one book that I was having problems with.

Musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:22 AM   #27
aarion81
aarion81 began at the beginning.

Wow...this is ridiculous. I ran across this bug for the first time tonight. After reading the previous posts here, I removed the apostrophe from the book I was trying to read. Sure enough, as soon as I did that, it worked just fine. I then went through my entire book collection, and checked to see if I could open each book on my Kobo...and no. Every single book with an apostrophe in it comes up with the error message, meaning I had to go through and remove the apostrophe from every book in my collection that had it. I am NOT impressed.
aarion81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #28
ViralMage
ViralMage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
So... Turns out it's not just apostrophes that cause problems. I uploaded a comic collection converted into a epub through calibre, and got the same problem. The file is 406MB, has anyone else tried opening files that big? Also, when the comics are uploaded individually, instead of in a collection, there are no problems. Any suggestions for what might be going on?
ViralMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #29
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralMage View Post
So... Turns out it's not just apostrophes that cause problems. I uploaded a comic collection converted into a epub through calibre, and got the same problem. The file is 406MB, has anyone else tried opening files that big? Also, when the comics are uploaded individually, instead of in a collection, there are no problems. Any suggestions for what might be going on?
I've done that. At 400mb it would probably seem like the Kobo locks up trying to update or open the epub file. I had some better luck with comics in pdf files.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #30
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I've been getting the same message, but there were no apostrophe's in the title or the name of the author. It's not DRM book, it's a personal document of mine. It's a small file, only about 7 pages on Word.

Any ideas?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote