Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
didina
didina began at the beginning.

Device: android
koreader and stardic

Dear all, I am re-posting here a question I have asked in a different section of the forum, but perhaps here it is more appropriate since koreader is much used for koboreader devices -

would you be interested in a stardic version of Latin-English inflected? I have been trying to convert it from a bgl file for several weeks with no success, it's because I have recently discovered the wonderful Koreader which does not flash on my e-ink device (icarus illumina) when looking for words and the Latin-English inflected would solve an enormous problem. So, I have tried to convert it in various ways, being no expert at all in such things, somehow I understood how to use the Python converter, I got the files, with a very big syn. file (around 21M) but Koreader does not recognize the dictionary, even if it does recognize all the other stardictionaries I could find around for other languages. I am posting here the bgl file and the stardic files I converted it into - they work nicely on Golden Dictionary and Color Dictionary, but not on Koreader. If anyone could help with this, I would be extremely grateful. It might be because I have not used Stardic Tools, they wouldn't install on my computer due to some dll missing; or perhaps there's some feature of Koreader that I don't know of. Or, the syn. file could somehow be integrated into the idx. file?
Attached Files
File Type: zip bgl-Latin_English_Inflected.zip (4.68 MB, 14 views)
File Type: zip stardic latin english inflected (2).zip (8.14 MB, 12 views)
didina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
Markismus is our resident Koreader dictionary expert, he would be your best shot at a useful answer.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Markismus
Addict
Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Cracked Kobo Aura HD, Cracked Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O
@didina
I've checked your dictionary with StarDict-Editor. It checks out o.k. When I de- and recompile it via xml (Textual StarDict dictionary) it gives only some small errors. I can decompile to a tabbed text-file, but it gives the error "Error, duplicate word a." when I try to recompile it.

Koreader uses sdcv, the commandline version of stardict. When I give the command
Code:
sdcv -l --data-dir .
it usually lists the name of the dictionary in the directory and the wordcount. For all dictionaries that I tried, it gives a nice reply. For your dictionary it remains empty.

So I googled "sdcv syn-files" and got the result that syn support for sdcv is still a feature request.

If that doesn't stop you, you could try to edit the tabbed text file generated by StarDict-Editor. It crashes on the recompilation of it, because of the multiple entries for a: interj./prep./prep.:
Quote:
a <b>a</b><br/><font color="#457820">interj.</font> Ah!; (distress/regret/pity, appeal/entreaty, surprise/joy, objection/contempt);
a <b>a</b><br/><font color="#457820">prep.</font> ante, abb. a.; [in calendar expression a. d. = ante diem => before the day];
a <b>a</b><br/><font color="#457820">prep.</font> by (agent), from (departure, cause, remote origin/time); after (reference);
ab <b>ab</b><br/><font color="#457820">prep.</font> by (agent), from (departure, cause, remote origin/time); after (reference);
abactius <b>abactius, abactia, abactium</b><br/><font color="#457820">adj.</font> stolen/rustled (of cattle);
abactor <b>abactor, abactoris</b><br/><font color="#457820">n. m.</font> cattle thief, rustler; one who drives off;
abactus <b>abactus, abacta, abactum</b><br/><font color="#457820">adj.</font> driven away/off/back; forced to resign (office); restrained by; passed (night);
abactus <b>abactus, abactus</b><br/><font color="#457820">n. m.</font> cattle thieving, stealing of cattle, rustling;
Now what you read is: a | tab | whole lot of meaning | end-of-line.
If you remove the "end of line | a | tab" between the 1st and second line and the second and third line, you would end up with one entry for 'a'.

Now the new error would become "Error, duplicate word abactus."

So you could write a script to eliminate the multiple entries and recompile it with StarDict-Editor. However, you would still lose the function provide by the syn-files. Better look at Whitaker's Words here on mobileread before you decide that your dictionary is worth that extra effort.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
didina

thank you very much. yes, I had kept googling and one of the things that crossed my mind was that the syn. file is the problem, but I wasn't sure since no one else seemed to have worried about it in connection with koreader. another member of the forum has kindly reconverted the bgl file with stardic tools and his version works on my device for the basic forms (just like Whitaker's Words, thanks for the suggestion). http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88#post3121788
the inflected forms are not yet seen, I am still hoping it might be something with my icarus illumina, but the chances are low. I was wondering if it would not be possible to somehow modify the tabulated text version so as to make a separate entry for each inflected form. that would increase greatly the dimensions of the dictionary, but I think it might work. I have the stardic version of rosen's greek forms, which has around 900.000 entries, and that works without any problem. the inflected latin would have about 1.000.000 entries, by analogy it might work as well. Do you think I could do something to the tab txt file, or to the csv file, to make these separate entries? I am sorry, I am a complete ignorant in such stuff, this might a silly question, but I thought I should ask.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
Markismus
Addict
Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

@didina Just looking at these two entries:
Code:
abactus <b>abactus, abacta, abactum</b><br/><font color="#457820">adj.</font> driven away/off/back; forced to resign (office); restrained by; passed (night);
abactus <b>abactus, abactus</b><br/><font color="#457820">n. m.</font> cattle thieving, stealing of cattle, rustling;
First off, I know you can convert the dictionary so that you lose the formatting like "<font color=....>" and "</font>. I'll also add the <TAB> and <EOL> explicitly. The lines become simpler:
Code:
abactus<TAB><b>abactus, abacta, abactum</b><br/>adj. driven away/off/back; forced to resign (office); restrained by; passed (night);<EOL>
abactus<TAB><b>abactus, abactus</b><br/>n. m. cattle thieving, stealing of cattle, rustling; <EOL>
Remember that sdcv only cares for the string in front of the <TAB> and the string between the <TAB> and <EOL>. All other code-like characters are hopefully not displayed in the output of sdcv.

Now two things need doing. First off: remove double entry:
Code:
abactus<TAB><b>abactus, abacta, abactum</b><br/>adj. driven away/off/back; forced to resign (office); restrained by; passed (night); b>abactus, abactus</b><br/>n. m. cattle thieving, stealing of cattle, rustling; <EOL>
Then double the lines for the multiple forms. There are three in this example:
Code:
abactus<TAB><b>abactus, abacta, abactum</b><br/>adj. driven away/off/back; forced to resign (office); restrained by; passed (night); b>abactus, abactus</b><br/>n. m. cattle thieving, stealing of cattle, rustling; <EOL>
abactum<TAB><b>abactus, abacta, abactum</b><br/>adj. driven away/off/back; forced to resign (office); restrained by; passed (night); b>abactus, abactus</b><br/>n. m. cattle thieving, stealing of cattle, rustling; <EOL>
abacta<TAB><b>abactus, abacta, abactum</b><br/>adj. driven away/off/back; forced to resign (office); restrained by; passed (night); b>abactus, abactus</b><br/>n. m. cattle thieving, stealing of cattle, rustling; <EOL>
There you go. Should be a nice scripting exercise to generate that!

I seem to remember something like:
Code:
abactum<TAB><GOTO>abactus<EOL>
abacta<TAB><GOTO>abactus<EOL>
This would have a dramatic impact on the final size of the dictionary! However, I can't remember the code that I have symbolized as <GOTO>, nor do I know for sure that this isn't just the syn-file syntax all over again.

However, as koreader is ever developping, I do know that a feature to allow to search in the dictionary popup has been requested. Don't know whether it is implemented yet. That would get rid of the need of a coded <GOTO> and you could just code:
Code:
abactum<TAB>see: abactus<EOL>
abacta<TAB>see: abactus<EOL>

Last edited by Markismus; 06-24-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Markismus
Addict

For later reference the link to the stardict file-formats might be handy.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
didina

thank you very much for your time and advice. I finally gave up and I bought a tablet, to use the golden dictionary with my texts. it does not feel alright, the e-ink was so much closer to real paper and less tiring. it would be great if koreader will at some point support syn files, I will continue to check the releases.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Some Onyx ereaders use Android with poor to good sucess. Read Onyx forum to stay current on their progress.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:20 AM   #9
didina

managed to convert the syn file using penelope. I've attached the result here. http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...36#post3128536