Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Pims
Junior Member
Pims began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: none
Torn between Kindle 2, Dx, or Nook

I know. DX probably doesn't fit in this category, but none the less, it still sits on my possibilities list. I have done weeks of research and still have not been able to make the final decision. I have a gift voucher for 300 bucks and it will work @ Amazon, or B&N, hence these are the 2 stores I am deciding between.


I start college again in the fall and hope to use my Kindle for a few of my text books. This was the only real reason I was considering the DX. I know that I would still have to come up with another 200 bucks to close this deal if I go this direction, so the odds are not that great. I have the cash, but would need a real reason to pull the trigger.


The real debate in my head is over the K2 and the Nook. I have read over the features countless times and see pro's and con's on each of them. My main uses will be to read books. I read tons of books, mostly non fiction(Sci-Fi and mystery) and my wife is tired of books pouring off of the shelves. I would love to be able to take my library with me everywhere I go.


I have looked @ the B&N site as well as the Amazon site, and Amazon seems to have a few more of the titles that I like, however I have also been able to find most of these titles in Epub format in various stores across the web. I am not against reformatting my books to work on either device, but DRM will be an issue, and quite frankly, I have zero clue on how to remove DRM.


Sorry for the Novel. A quick summary would be I am looking for advice between the Kindle 2 vs. Nook. I don't care for games, browers etc. I just want the best Reader with the best Reader features. DLing books on the fly and possibly the best reader geared towards a college student. If someone can justify the DX, please please sell me on it

Thanks a bunch for the help in advance and sorry for the novel I wrote above!
Pims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
abo.saud
Member
abo.saud began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2010
Device: nook
well
If you want it mainly to read PDFs books I think DX is the best for that because
it has a big screen so it will show the PDF books correctly. - e-readers with 6" screen will destroy the file it will look bad especially if it contain formulas or photos like math physics -
If you want it to read book from B&N or amazon store both K2 or Nook will be just fine
I didn't try the K2 but I do have a nook and I'm very very happy with
I read the comparison between K2 & nook which you can find it here
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/c...?cds2Pid=30195
then I decided and bought a nook.
The other thing let me take nook instead of K2 is that I find Nook very very beautiful
and designed well. K2 its like an device from 1990s

my final advice ''take a nook you will just love it like others''
*************
good luck and sorry for my bad English
abo.saud is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Over's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,449
Karma: 3949068
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DXi, Kindle 3, iPad and iPhone 4
Between K2 and the Nook, you'll be better served with K2 (at least, the Nook users have more complaints about it than K2, although I'm just talking empirically, no real stats to show.

If you want to read PDF documents and maybe some comics/manga, the DX is the better choice, by far. Unless you can wait for fall, where we should get more news about new large screen eink ereaders.

I have a 6" device (Cybook) and a Kindle DXi. I'm happy with both and the DX is my ereader of choice. The Cybook is limited for reading outside home.

That's another thing: do you mainly read at home, or is portability important for you?

Once you figure out if you need a big screen or not, you won't be badly served, whatever your choice.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.
 
Anarel's Avatar
 
Posts: 424
Karma: 61399
Join Date: Dec 2009
Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Buy the kindle and give it a test drive; you have thirty days, for both the KDX and the K2 to decide if you like it; if you don't, send it back for a full refund!

Since you mentioned textbooks I must say that the KDX's screen would be much better than the k2 and the nook's if only due to the size... PDF's show up really well on it, and now due to the update coming at the end of May there would be ever better PDF tools- Zoom and Pan- to work with.

Finding your textbooks, depending on the classes you're taking, might be a bit difficult. They might not be in the Kindle store, but if your professor for instance has the book in PDF you could ask for that... if you'll be working with PDF's I think the Dx is the way to go.

But if you can't find your textbooks in PDF format, I would go with the K2. There are over 14,000 reviews for it, at 4.5 stars, it has the largest selection of recent, in-copyright books and a growing number of independent authors submitting their works to the Kindle store, so that's books you won't find anywhere else.

The touch screen of the nook is a little too small for comfort, too me- I much prefer a tactile keyboard. Also, looking up definitions and making highlights is MUCH easier and quicker on the Kindle than the nook; there are just too many steps to go through to do the same actions on the Nook as the Kindle.

Last edited by Anarel; 05-04-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling, etc...
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Pims
Junior Member
Pims began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: none
Wow! Thank you guys for the fantastic responses. This has really helped clear up some things for me.

I do plan on traveling around quite a bit. I would say that I am home to eat dinner and sleep. That's about it. I do enjoy being able to be mobile as much as possible.

As for textbooks on PDF. That is something that I have not yet considered. While the idea of replacing my textbooks with the Kindle DX sounds wonderful, it might be a pipe dream in the end if I can not find my books required for my classes via Kindle store or something compatible. I attend a very large university, UT(Texas) and I am sure that some of my professors have their own textbooks on PDF format. This is something I will research before making my purchase of course.

I was not aware of the 30 day return policy. That is just too awesome and will definitely push me to try either the K2 or KDX I think.
Pims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
mgmueller
Wizard
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mgmueller's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,066
Karma: 12525406
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Augsburg (near Munich), Germany
Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pims View Post
I know. DX probably doesn't fit in this category, but none the less, it still sits on my possibilities list. I have done weeks of research and still have not been able to make the final decision. I have a gift voucher for 300 bucks and it will work @ Amazon, or B&N, hence these are the 2 stores I am deciding between.


I start college again in the fall and hope to use my Kindle for a few of my text books. This was the only real reason I was considering the DX. I know that I would still have to come up with another 200 bucks to close this deal if I go this direction, so the odds are not that great. I have the cash, but would need a real reason to pull the trigger.


The real debate in my head is over the K2 and the Nook. I have read over the features countless times and see pro's and con's on each of them. My main uses will be to read books. I read tons of books, mostly non fiction(Sci-Fi and mystery) and my wife is tired of books pouring off of the shelves. I would love to be able to take my library with me everywhere I go.


I have looked @ the B&N site as well as the Amazon site, and Amazon seems to have a few more of the titles that I like, however I have also been able to find most of these titles in Epub format in various stores across the web. I am not against reformatting my books to work on either device, but DRM will be an issue, and quite frankly, I have zero clue on how to remove DRM.


Sorry for the Novel. A quick summary would be I am looking for advice between the Kindle 2 vs. Nook. I don't care for games, browers etc. I just want the best Reader with the best Reader features. DLing books on the fly and possibly the best reader geared towards a college student. If someone can justify the DX, please please sell me on it

Thanks a bunch for the help in advance and sorry for the novel I wrote above!
Sorry for the negative comment: But for text books/academic purposes, all 3 are the "worst of choices".
A friend of mine right now is doing his MBA. He dropped Sony 505 (which has more advanced PDF capabilities than the 3 you name), because of extremely limited annotation support.
If you want to take notes, add comments and things like that, you should aim for a touchscreen unit.
If you've got a voucher from Amazon: Can't you buy another reader from Amazon's huge portfolio, instead of Kindle?
I'd recommend something in the range of Onyx Boox, iRex 800, Sony 600 or 900.
If it has to be one of the 3 you name, Kindle DX might be slightly better, given the bigger screen.
mgmueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.
 
Anarel's Avatar
 
Posts: 424
Karma: 61399
Join Date: Dec 2009
Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Sorry for the negative comment: But for text books/academic purposes, all 3 are the "worst of choices".
A friend of mine right now is doing his MBA. He dropped Sony 505 (which has more advanced PDF capabilities than the 3 you name), because of extremely limited annotation support.
If you want to take notes, add comments and things like that, you should aim for a touchscreen unit.
If you've got a voucher from Amazon: Can't you buy another reader from Amazon's huge portfolio, instead of Kindle?
I'd recommend something in the range of Onyx Boox, iRex 800, Sony 600 or 900.
If it has to be one of the 3 you name, Kindle DX might be slightly better, given the bigger screen.

Why a touch screen?

You can take notes and add comments perfectly well with the Kindle's keyboard. Are you meaning to write handwritten notes on another e-reader's screen?

To me that doesn't sound so nice... have you ever signed for a package on that electronic signature pad?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
mgmueller
Wizard
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mgmueller's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,066
Karma: 12525406
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Augsburg (near Munich), Germany
Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Why a touch screen?

You can take notes and add comments perfectly well with the Kindle's keyboard. Are you meaning to write handwritten notes on another e-reader's screen?

To me that doesn't sound so nice... have you ever signed for a package on that electronic signature pad?
What are you doing in academic papers? Usually, you'll scribble a formula to the edge of the screen. Or you'll mark some text passages and link them with arrows or something like that.
In my scripts, I've rarely added actual text, it always was graphs, formulas, symbols and things like that.
With a touchscreen unit, you freely can jot onto your documents. And you permanently will see those jots, whereas on Kindle and other readers you usually hide those fields, because they would overlay your text.
The colleague I've mentioned in my first post, was missing exactly that feature on his Sony.
Still, even with the most advanced scribbling functions, each reader will be a compromise at best. It's way easier, to sort your handwritten notes into a binder, add stick-it notes and can open 5 pages at once.
But, in my opinion (using some of my readers for "professional" purposes), touchscreen readers are closer to the "real deal" than the others.
And (but maybe that's just me): I'm way faster in jotting down some quick comment via handwriting, than actually typing on those small keyboards - or even worse via onscreen keyboards. (Meaning: Comparing physical keyboard to virtual one, Kindle beats nook for typing notes.)

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-04-2010 at 07:41 PM.
mgmueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.
 
Anarel's Avatar
 
Posts: 424
Karma: 61399
Join Date: Dec 2009
Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
What are you doing in academic papers? Usually, you'll scribble a formula to the edge of the screen. Or you'll mark some text passages and link them with arrows or something like that.
In my scripts, I've rarely added actual text, it always was graphs, symbols and things like that.
With a touchscreen unit, you freely can jot onto your documents. And you permanently will see those jots, whereas on Kindle and other readers you usually hide those fields, because they would overlay your text.
The colleague I've mentioned in my first post, was missing exactly that feature on his Sony.
But, in my opinion (using some of my readers for "professional" purposes, touchscreen readers are closer to the "real deal" than the others.
All i'm saying is, the keyboard is more than adequate for taking notes. Also, on the Kindle, all the notes and highlights you make are stored in a text file that you can access when you hook it up to your computer. There is also the webpage http://kindle.amazon.com/ where you can access your book notes on this web page. I've found this very helpful in my Jane Austen class, using the sections I've highlighted and made notes on in my essays.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
mgmueller
Wizard
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mgmueller's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,066
Karma: 12525406
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Augsburg (near Munich), Germany
Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
All i'm saying is, the keyboard is more than adequate for taking notes. Also, on the Kindle, all the notes and highlights you make are stored in a text file that you can access when you hook it up to your computer. There is also the webpage http://kindle.amazon.com/ where you can access your book notes on this web page. I've found this very helpful in my Jane Austen class, using the sections I've highlighted and made notes on in my essays.
I guess, it mainly depends on the studies you take.
If you, for instance, take quotes and are comfortable enough with the keyboard, Kindle may make more sense than (in my case very ugly) penmanship.
But if you do technical studies, typing a formula might be impossible and it simply may be way easier to add that formula to the edge of the screen.
And for my job, I have SLAs, contracts, proposals and stuff like that on some of my readers. Here I simply want to draw circles around critical passages. I want to link one paragraph to another by simply drawing an arrow.
Meaning: I want to operate similar to a handwritten notebook.
mgmueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
eco
Junior Member
eco began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 16
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wellington, NZ
Device: Ipaq 1945
At the risk of bringing up an old thread I just wanted to point out that the only solutions that I've found that let me scribble on documents are either to buy a TabletPC and use MS OneNote or Adobe Acrobat or to use iAnnotate on my iPad.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
WT Sharpe's Avatar
 
Posts: 31,920
Karma: 94158280
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chesapeake, VA, USA
Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pims View Post
I start college again in the fall and hope to use my Kindle for a few of my text books. This was the only real reason I was considering the DX. I know that I would still have to come up with another 200 bucks to close this deal if I go this direction, so the odds are not that great. I have the cash, but would need a real reason to pull the trigger.
Kindle. Trying to navigate through all the menus to take notes on the Nook will drive you batty, and once you've made them, there's no way to transfer those notes to your PC to use in your class assignments. PDF's and college textbooks will probably look better on a DX, but there's a killer system upgrade coming to the Kindle within the next two weeks that will allow for zooming in and panning to see all the small details in PDF documents, so a DX may be unnecessary.

Take it from someone who owns both a Kindle and a Nook. Nooks are for people who like to go to cocktail parties where they can describe popular books as "good reads." What you need is a serious tool that will help you in your school work. Get a Kindle. You won't regret it.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-17-2010 at 02:10 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 408
Karma: 646
Join Date: Mar 2009
Device: none
Quote:
Nooks are for people who like to go to cocktail parties where they can describe popular books as "good reads."
^^ this
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nook is the best

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torn - Wanderer der Zeit K-Thom E-Books 9 12-28-2010 01:03 PM
Kindle vs. nook in Canada - nook seems to have cheaper ebooks Doju Which one should I buy? 16 07-24-2010 02:47 PM
So Torn... Hwin Which one should I buy? 10 05-24-2010 06:10 PM
still torn GPLarge Which one should I buy? 8 04-06-2010 09:27 PM
New and torn: Kindle 2 or Nook???? Delia575 Introduce Yourself 10 12-18-2009 12:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.