Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
tomtin
tomtin began at the beginning.

Device: nook and future kobo owner
Upgrading from nook to kobo. Please help.

So I've had a nook forever and liked it but it's time to upgrade to the kobo h20.

Since I've had a nook for so long, I have close to 100 books. What is the easiest way at converting (preferably in bulk) to the kobo format?

I also view books via the nook app on the ipad. Doing a little research, people really like Marvin. Should I replace the nook app with Marvin?
tomtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, you should definitely take a look at Marvin.

Kobos can read the same EPUBs that are already on your Nook, no conversion necessary. However, if the books have DRM, you will need to remove that first.
You may wish to take a look at calibre for managing your books (including metadata management synced to the Kobo), and the Kobo KEPUB driver for adding on-the-fly Kobo-specific enhancements to EPUBs.

For more information regarding removing DRM, see http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N3, N10.1, View, K1, K2, K3, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes, you should definitely take a look at Marvin.
Do you have a link to Marvin, for info sake? Thank you!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
tomtin

Thanks for the response!!

I have calibre but I am confused at how to strip the drm.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtin View Post

No-one can instruct you on that here. Google Apprentice Alf.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
Do you have a link to Marvin, for info sake? Thank you!
Yep.

Apple Appstore and main website
Old 11-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:

Again, for more about DRM, see: http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com

Recent updates to the forum Guidelines mean we can now refer via links to the website dedicated to removing ebook DRM; however, we still cannot discuss the specifics here. See: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines

Quote:
8. Links, Uploads, Copyright and DRM

[...]

While DRM removal may be discussed in the abstract, the following are not allowed at MobileRead:
  • discussing DRM removal to pirate content;
  • providing detailed how-to instructions;
  • uploading of DRM-removal tools;
  • direct download links to DRM-removal tools.

Further information on our policy on copyright, uploads and DRM can be found here.
MobileRead does not wish to host DeDRM forums, because that might make us a guinea pig for the eventual court case to evaluate Fair Use rights, but you can discuss things to your heart's content on Apprentice Alf's blog. Many of the same people frequent both locations.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Thank you! That explains so much. I did try to Google it, but even though it didn't come up for me, I still thought it was weird I'd never heard of it. Now I see - I don't do iThings so it won't be of any use for me.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
tomtin

ah okay. i downloaded the tools but it comes up as an exe file instead of a zip. not sure why but it's preventing me from progressing further. sigh.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
ah okay. i downloaded the tools but it comes up as an exe file instead of a zip. not sure why but it's preventing me from progressing further. sigh.
There is a check box that you need to un-tick then the right thing will show up for downloading. It's all there in the instructions.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
tomtin

ok i got it but it's not working. argh.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
ok i got it but it's not working. argh.
It's working. I tested it. It's your browser, your blockers, something you're not thinking of. I have everything in the world blocked and I can still download it if I want.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #13
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

I have always found the easiest way to download it is simply install the cross-browser plugin Adblock Plus. It removes ads like the ones that frequent certain unnameable filesharing sites.

It is also extremely useful in general -- it is the very first thing I do when initializing a computer or browser anywhere.

I even have it installed to the system extensions under linux.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-13-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
filmo
Guru
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo also has reader app for Iphone.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #15
tomtin

my mistake. it was user error hehe. i got it working now and everything is groovy. are there any special plugins that i should get ready while i wait for the kobo to arrive? i ordered it tonight and i can't wait to use it.