Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
susanne
Member
susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.susanne can self-interpret dreams as they happen.
 
susanne's Avatar
 
Posts: 20
Karma: 20000
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: none
Except if you live in Ireland, where writers only pay tax after having earned 250000 euros...
susanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #17
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse
 
Posts: 187
Karma: 8178
Join Date: Apr 2010
Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanne View Post
Except if you live in Ireland, where writers only pay tax after having earned 250000 euros...

Damn, I'll have to move to somewhere that's not England.

Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 05-04-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #18
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
M T McGuire's Avatar
 
Posts: 231
Karma: 1006970
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
Hasn't Amazon gone international now with their DTP service? I was under the impression that anybody outside of the US who used the service would be sent cheques in USD's and they would have to sort out their own tax from thereon in.
They are supposed to have done but when I followed the link I came up a page where I had to give my US bank details which, obviously, I don't have. Back to gaol. ;-)

That said, you CAN declare the income as already taxed but the problem is that as far as the internet is concerned the "world" really does seem to be the US, every site I find turns out to be US based... sigh. What do the antipodeans and SAfricans do? Anyone?

I think I might be able to find a tame publisher, the other way, I guess is to give away some of it on Smashwords for free and get people to visit my site to pay... but that seems a bit wrong... or go for the give away free e-books and sell paperback versions to those who really like it (from England, where the IRS can't get me).

The problem is the complications of the paperwork really, my partner sold some shares in the US, he just sent the final form in the chain off and the stock broker did the rest, he didn't need the US tax number and he isn't going to have to fill in a US tax return this year... that's the bit I don't really get... if it was just a number and a letter it would be a lot less complicated.

Ah well...

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
M T McGuire's Avatar
 
Posts: 231
Karma: 1006970
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
...They may be taking the angle that a foreign ISBN indicates a distribution agreement, not an employment situation *shrug* The IRS apparently has no specific guidance in the ecommerce field, just demands to pay up!
This is true with Lulu but not Smashwords which is annoying... it's 30% (reduced to 0% if I'm prepared to spent £120 a year getting notarised ID and filling in four or five of the IRS's lovely forms, culminating in the tax return). 30% isn't too much (although of course vice versa, the UK only witholds 20% naturally) but I don't know if it's 30% of gross or net, presumably it's 30% of whatever Smashwords might pay to me, 30% of gross would be completely barking... oh... but sorry, I forgot, it's the IRS.

Sigh...

Last edited by M T McGuire; 05-05-2010 at 06:41 PM.
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #20
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse
 
Posts: 187
Karma: 8178
Join Date: Apr 2010
Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
They are supposed to have done but when I followed the link I came up a page where I had to give my US bank details which, obviously, I don't have. Back to gaol. ;-)

That said, you CAN declare the income as already taxed but the problem is that as far as the internet is concerned the "world" really does seem to be the US, every site I find turns out to be US based... sigh. What do the antipodeans and SAfricans do? Anyone?

I think I might be able to find a tame publisher, the other way, I guess is to give away some of it on Smashwords for free and get people to visit my site to pay... but that seems a bit wrong... or go for the give away free e-books and sell paperback versions to those who really like it (from England, where the IRS can't get me).

The problem is the complications of the paperwork really, my partner sold some shares in the US, he just sent the final form in the chain off and the stock broker did the rest, he didn't need the US tax number and he isn't going to have to fill in a US tax return this year... that's the bit I don't really get... if it was just a number and a letter it would be a lot less complicated.

Ah well...

MTM
I did a little more digging and created a dummy account with Amazon.co.uk and then went to Amazon.com to set up the DTP service. Turns out all you really need is a mailing address and to tick the 'check' box. Providing a US bank account and all the tax numbers seems to have more to do with electronic transfers, but if you go the check route all you need provide is a mailing address (I set up my account details in a snap, no problems at all). Digging deeper into the Amazon DTP site I found this little nugget (emphasis mine):


International publishers may choose to enter a tax identification number and email their form W-8BEN to dtp-support@amazon.com to reduce tax withholdings (for those countries that have a tax treaty with the United States of America.)

Downside of the 'mailed check' route is that you have to have more than $100 owed you and it will only be paid 60 days from the end of the calendar month:

...$100 or more for check payment) approximately sixty (60) days following the end of the calendar month during which applicable sales of your content occur

Hope this has helped someone out who is not part of the United States of Everything

Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 05-05-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Reptition, more repetition :)
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #21
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
nomesque's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Karma: 1000000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ipswich, QLD, Australia
Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
This is true with Lulu but not Smashwords which is annoying... it's 30% (reduced to 0% if I'm prepared to spent £120 a year getting notarised ID and filling in four or five of the IRS's lovely forms, culminating in the tax return). 30% isn't too much (although of course vice versa, the UK only witholds 20% naturally) but I don't know if it's 30% of gross or net, presumably it's 30% of whatever Smashwords might pay to me, 30% of gross would be completely barking... oh... but sorry, I forgot, it's the IRS.

Sigh...
Uh huh. And that's how Smashwords used to do it, too. Bah.

If it helps, the 30% is out of your earnings, not out of the list price of an ebook.

FWIW, folks, I'm looking at setting up an epublishing service to deal with all this hassle on behalf of authors - I just need to make sure that I won't get myself horribly tangled up in international tax red tape
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #22
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
M T McGuire's Avatar
 
Posts: 231
Karma: 1006970
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
FWIW, folks, I'm looking at setting up an epublishing service to deal with all this hassle on behalf of authors - I just need to make sure that I won't get myself horribly tangled up in international tax red tape
Thanks, in that case, for 10% of probably not much, I'll probably just consider it taxed already. I'm a stay at home mum so I'm unlikely to earn enough to get over the UK tax limit, anyway!

As for the above... that is a VERY good idea, are you going to charge a percentage or a flat fee?

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #23
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
M T McGuire's Avatar
 
Posts: 231
Karma: 1006970
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
I did a little more digging and created a dummy account with Amazon.co.uk and then went to Amazon.com to set up the DTP service. Turns out all you really need is a mailing address and to tick the 'check' box. Providing a US bank account and all the tax numbers seems to have more to do with electronic transfers, but if you go the check route all you need provide is a mailing address (I set up my account details in a snap, no problems at all). Digging deeper into the Amazon DTP site I found this little nugget (emphasis mine):


International publishers may choose to enter a tax identification number and email their form W-8BEN to dtp-support@amazon.com to reduce tax withholdings (for those countries that have a tax treaty with the United States of America.)

Downside of the 'mailed check' route is that you have to have more than $100 owed you and it will only be paid 60 days from the end of the calendar month:

...$100 or more for check payment) approximately sixty (60) days following the end of the calendar month during which applicable sales of your content occur

Hope this has helped someone out who is not part of the United States of Everything
Bless you! Thanks for that, I'll do some more digging myself now... Hmm...
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #24
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
nomesque's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Karma: 1000000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ipswich, QLD, Australia
Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
As for the above... that is a VERY good idea, are you going to charge a percentage or a flat fee?
Percentage - although there'll be an option to decrease the percentage by paying a flat fee upfront. That said, it'll depend what's being done. The original concept was for editing/proofing/formatting work - if it's just handling payments from the US, a high percentage wouldn't be justified.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic MA Residents Tax Free weekend boswd Barnes & Noble NOOK 0 08-14-2010 07:33 AM
WTF, sales tax? KlondikeGeoff Amazon Kindle 7 05-16-2010 09:31 AM
Import Tax garygibsonsf Sony Reader 2 12-19-2008 09:14 AM
Tax Refunds HarryT Lounge 54 05-20-2008 05:52 PM
iliad Import Tax :-/ Stuart Young iRex 2 07-07-2006 08:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.