Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM   #1
Hiro-kun
Hiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
Corner of screen no longer refreshes

The top-left corner of my Glo has suddenly stopped refreshing after starting from a sleep. Neither a soft reset nor a factory reset fixed it. Touch still works as I can still hit the Home icon and I can otherwise navigate normally. Is my screen totally borked?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141120_002.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	854.4 KB
ID:	131335  

Last edited by Hiro-kun; Yesterday at 01:26 AM. Reason: Add photo of problem
Hiro-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:27 AM   #2
arspr
None
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 >>> Kobo Aura HD (self-destructed) >>> Kobo Aura H2O
Yes that seems a broken e-ink substrate... Have you hit/drop your device somehow?
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #3
Hiro-kun
Hiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Yes that seems a broken e-ink substrate... Have you hit/drop your device somehow?
I've dropped it from less than a metre before, but not recently. I was carrying it in a jacket pocket; it was fine just before I left my home. The problem occurred when I took it out on a bus. I don't think I put any undue stress on the device; maybe I sat down a little too hard?

I suppose I don't have any options other than getting a new one.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
You have a broken substrate.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to fix it, short of buying another screen and installing it yourself.

Your best bet is to buy another one.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #5
Hiro-kun

Thanks for your help, arspr and Dr. Drib. Good thing this happened soon enough before Black Friday and Cyber Monday!
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro-kun View Post
Thanks for your help, arspr and Dr. Drib. Good thing this happened soon enough before Black Friday and Cyber Monday!

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

The good news (if there is such a thing) is that if you decide to buy another same unit, then you can use the parts from the first one if something goes wrong with the second one AND if the second is out of warranty.

If you decide to get something totally different, you can still sell this damaged one for parts harvesting - there's a market, and someone will buy it as a broken unit.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Don't put your replacement Reader in a pocket and buy a cover for it and always use it with the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #8
Hiro-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't put your replacement Reader in a pocket and buy a cover for it and always use it with the cover.
Thanks for your suggestion. I did indeed have it in a case; I removed it for the photograph.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
My guess is because you had it in your pocket on public transport, that you maybe got bumped. I've read of that sort of thing happening to others.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, screen issue