Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Exclude files from indexing?

I have a number of documents in PDF format that I would prefer not to have show up in the "books" section, but would prefer that they could only be accessed through the file structure on the SD card. For this purpose I created various subdirectories by category on the SD card. That works, but they are still being indexed and clog up my book section.

I have noticed that items in "Image" and "Personal Documents" folders won't be indexed, but when I press on "Personal Documents" all items in that directory appear, regardless of what subfolder of that directory they are actually in. Is there any way around this? I can imagine 2 methods:

1.)You can specify which items are to be excluded from indexing.
2.)An easier way would be that subdirectories in Personal Documents are being shown and not everything shows up in the root of that folder when opening it from the home screen.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 711
Karma: 72743
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here or there
Device: iRex iLiad, in love with iRex DR800S. Also a K4NT. Now a Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I have a number of documents in PDF format that I would prefer not to have show up in the "books" section, but would prefer that they could only be accessed through the file structure on the SD card. For this purpose I created various subdirectories by category on the SD card. That works, but they are still being indexed and clog up my book section.

I have noticed that items in "Image" and "Personal Documents" folders won't be indexed, but when I press on "Personal Documents" all items in that directory appear, regardless of what subfolder of that directory they are actually in. Is there any way around this? I can imagine 2 methods:

1.)You can specify which items are to be excluded from indexing.
2.)An easier way would be that subdirectories in Personal Documents are being shown and not everything shows up in the root of that folder when opening it from the home screen.
All the files in the SD are indexed.
When doing it, some of them get a special tag. For example, files inside Books folder get "book" tag, files in Images folder get "image" tag, and so on. These tags are included in the global.db sqlite database, as the last field of the file register.

Thus, when you browse to Books folder, only files with "book" tag are shown, in fact all files inside the SD Books folder.

By now, there are only a few tags supported (in fact, they are hardcoded in firmware sources).

if you want to have a "secret" folder, just create a special folder in the SD root (f.e. "Secret docs"). The files inside, as they don't have any of the predefined tags, will not shown on existing folders and you will have to browse through SD to reach them.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Unfortunately that is not that way it works. I created a number of different folders on the SD card and put the files there. But it seems all PDF, epub (and perhaps others, I only have these and *.np) will be indexed no matter where they are, except if they are in the "Image" and "Personal Documents" folders. So in the end they show up in the "books" section.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is
 
Posts: 189
Karma: 2190
Join Date: Aug 2007
Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Unfortunately that is not that way it works. I created a number of different folders on the SD card and put the files there. But it seems all PDF, epub (and perhaps others, I only have these and *.np) will be indexed no matter where they are, except if they are in the "Image" and "Personal Documents" folders. So in the end they show up in the "books" section.
I believe it actually read through files within "Programs" folder as well. I noticed indexing took a long time after I tried install some programs. I think it was scanning the folder because I didn't add any new books.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,293
Karma: 529619
Join Date: May 2007
Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
I believe it actually read through files within "Programs" folder as well. I noticed indexing took a long time after I tried install some programs. I think it was scanning the folder because I didn't add any new books.
As Iņigo says, all files on the SD are indexed. The question is how they are tagged and in what views they show up. If I remember correctly, Matthijs had a previous post explaining how this worked. I'd have to find it though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 711
Karma: 72743
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here or there
Device: iRex iLiad, in love with iRex DR800S. Also a K4NT. Now a Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Unfortunately that is not that way it works. I created a number of different folders on the SD card and put the files there. But it seems all PDF, epub (and perhaps others, I only have these and *.np) will be indexed no matter where they are, except if they are in the "Image" and "Personal Documents" folders. So in the end they show up in the "books" section.
Sorry, you are right.

But it's not so clear. For example I have a file named "agenda-2010.pdf" inside "Personal Documents" folder.
It is shown on "Personal Documents" view, but not on "Books" view. But if I do a search under "Books" view it finds it...

My hypothesis: every .pdf or .epub file appears in Books view, regardless the physical folder *unless they appear on any other view like Personal Documents or Images* (i.e. unless they have any other tag attached). Search is system-wide.

If this is correct, you could modify/delete the tag of your secret files after being indexed.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Sorry, you are right.

But it's not so clear. For example I have a file named "agenda-2010.pdf" inside "Personal Documents" folder.
It is shown on "Personal Documents" view, but not on "Books" view. But if I do a search under "Books" view it finds it...

My hypothesis: every .pdf or .epub file appears in Books view, regardless the physical folder *unless they appear on any other view like Personal Documents or Images* (i.e. unless they have any other tag attached). Search is system-wide.

If this is correct, you could modify/delete the tag of your secret files after being indexed.
1.)No idea where and how those tags are stored and how to remove them (I am using Windows 7).
2.)Won't they be automatically "re-tagged" next time?

My idea would be that Irex does not include folders that we created in the indexing process. That would be good (and time saving, since indexing will be faster) solution. Or that there is an option for each folder.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-20-2010 at 02:28 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough
 
Matthijs's Avatar
 
Posts: 199
Karma: 666
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Search will search the entire card, regardless of the view you are in when you click Search.

As Shaggy points out, I explained how the tagging works in one of my other posts. The hypothesis is correct: every PDF or EPUB document that is not inside one of the special folders (News, Images, Personal Documents, Help) is tagged as a book. You can edit the 'global.db' SQLite3 database to change the tag. But that is experimental.

The idea is that you put all your personal documents (not being books) inside the 'Personal Documents' folder. Once the sources are released, it will be trivial to change the 'Personal Documents' to use folder-based browsing.

If you want a file to be excluded from indexing you can put it somewhere inside the 'System' folder, but then it will not be accessible at all (also not through the SD Card view). Also, you can make hidden files and folders by starting the name with a dot or an underscore. These will also not be indexed (and therefore also not be accessible).

Hope that helps.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Search will search the entire card, regardless of the view you are in when you click Search.

As Shaggy points out, I explained how the tagging works in one of my other posts. The hypothesis is correct: every PDF or EPUB document that is not inside one of the special folders (News, Images, Personal Documents, Help) is tagged as a book. You can edit the 'global.db' SQLite3 database to change the tag. But that is experimental.

The idea is that you put all your personal documents (not being books) inside the 'Personal Documents' folder. Once the sources are released, it will be trivial to change the 'Personal Documents' to use folder-based browsing.

If you want a file to be excluded from indexing you can put it somewhere inside the 'System' folder, but then it will not be accessible at all (also not through the SD Card view). Also, you can make hidden files and folders by starting the name with a dot or an underscore. These will also not be indexed (and therefore also not be accessible).

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, if "Personal Documents" supported folder based browsing, that would be good enough for my purposes here. I see no need to have totally hidden files and folders, I just want to separate different types of documents into different folders so that I do not have to go through endless pages to find something.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible to exclude tags/titles in the default view? texasnightowl Calibre 17 08-18-2010 12:11 PM
How to exclude a forum from new posts list on frontpage? Ea Feedback 4 07-06-2009 10:05 AM
Exclude <div>s from processing in HTML2LRF MTBSJC Calibre 1 02-13-2009 03:26 AM
MobileRead improvements: Exclude forums, et al. Alexander Turcic Announcements 20 05-09-2008 06:33 PM
Battery life, indexing, and corrupt files cathyWeeks Amazon Kindle 5 01-13-2008 04:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.