Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
patpat
patpat began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Charging Sony readers...

1) Sony e-readers do not come with power supply.
2) While charged on the USB port the reader cannot be used and the host shouldn't go into sleep mode...
3) Today are very common the chargers that give 5v on a Male-mini-usb connector but if I connect that charger to the reader it does not charge because the reader seems to need power on 2 additional pins of the USB norm...

then:

Where can I find a tiny "adapter" (not cable) Female-Mini-usb-<->-Sony-power-plug??
e-readers use the same power plug as the PSPs, this thing "has to be" available somewhere....

please let me know..... I refuse getting yet "another " charger...
Pat

Last edited by patpat; 04-17-2010 at 06:31 AM.
patpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
What I discovered back in February, at a Target store, is a universal charger. It was in the luggage section. It works for car or home. Besides the different plugs for wall or car, there is a selection of tips for (USB similar cord) that goes to the device. I can't remember the brand name but it costs about $25.
As for an adaptor, I would try Best Buy, Gamestop, or even an office store (Office Depot/Max). I'm not even sure such a thing exists to sell by itself.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
patpat

I really do not want another charger...
about the adapter I've already been in BestBuy, Office Max/Depot, RadioShack, Target, Internet, etc etc... I do not know if exists but it definitely should...
Old 04-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
sol_barbez
sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I want no responsibility. But if you cut the wire of a standard usb cable and do the same to a charger cable that will fit or buy on of those connectors.
Take a look at the wiring: http://www.bealecorner.org/best/measure/USB/index.html
Can you fix yourself then or are you scared as I would be?
sol_barbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Why are you not using the PSP wall charger?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I have never seen or heard of a female mini usb adapter but if you don't want any extra cords go with this..............I got one at Fry's in the PSP game section. Get a AC cube or car adapter that accepts a USB connection and you can use the retractable to either sync or charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ETPSPCABLE.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	49993  
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Best Buy carries the Rocketfish RF-PSPPD Power and Data Cable for PSP for $11.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...ish&cp=1&lp=10

This is what I used all the time with my Sony Pocket Edition. My Sony Daily Edition came with an AC charger.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-17-2010 at 07:05 PM.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I highly recommend a PSP charger. You don't have to buy a Sony brand. Get one from any game store for the PSP. I bought mine from Target for about $5.00. It's REALLY fast to charge and then you don't have to worry about it. You can even read while you charge and you're not going to blow up your reader.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #9
patpat

Please guys, I appreciate all your inputs but...
I refuse to get a new charger for carrying around whenever I move...
I already have my miniUsb charger for my cell and mp3/mp4 player I want to use the same one with my eReader

I hope some Chinese company is reading this and see the potential for a tiny femaleMiniUSB to SonyPowerPlug adapter....

thanks
Pat
Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
sol_barbez
sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sol_barbez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Both NoName (and jswinden) and myself have proposed solutions that doesn't require you to get a charger.

Here's video that explains what I'm talking about (though it could be made nicer).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WhMeZkrK8U
sol_barbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook STR, Nook HD+
And here are two more solutions.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8693
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22385
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote