Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony Reader for geeks but not for the masses says NYT

New York Times technology columnist Davie Pogue has a quick write-up on the status quo of reading e-books in which he also discusses the highlights of the Sony Reader. His verdict:

Quote:
Is that it, then? Is the paper book doomed? Was it only a transitional gadget, a placeholder that came between stone tablets and e-books?

Not any time soon. The Sony Reader is an impressive achievement, and an important step toward a convenient alternative to bound books. It will make certain niche groups very happy: gadget freaks, lawyers with massive document stashes, doctors and pilots who check hefty reference texts, high school students with 35-pound backpacks and anyone who likes to read by the pool for 20 weeks at a time.

The masses, however, may continue to prefer the more established portable-document format. Those older reading machines never run out of power, cost about 2 percent as much and don’t break when dropped. You know: p-books.
Meanwhile, Walter Mossberg from the Wall Street Journal has a mixed verdict on the Reader. He favors the paper-like display and seemingly endless battery life, but more work is needed to improve format compatibilities and the "poorly organized" online bookstore.

Related: Links to fresh Sony Reader reviews
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Hey, we still have stone tablets despite the advances of the pbook. Just look at the graffiti on [concrete] walls.

This is just my way of saying the, yes, pbooks are no where near dead & will not be for a long time, but I think the age of ebooks has arrived and troglodytes need to wake up to the fact.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I basically agree with the excerpt. It's not going to bring the end of paper books.

But the real test is whether the Sony Reader can be a viable alternative for regular people who read books, not whether or not it will be the end of paper. I.e. is it good enough that many regular readers will want one to read with? The end of paper books is an absurd measuring stick, even if it is a concept that will help sell newspapers because it's intriguing.

But no one really expects this Reader or any other to put an end to p-books in the forseeable future. Paper has too many great qualities to just disapper now.

The Sony Reader price is admittedly high, but even at that price I think there are enough advantages in the overall experience that a lot of people will want one. Even if as a novelty or travel aid. All the more when the price of the technology drops.

So it may not be the end of paper, but it has a chance to be the first legitimate alternative to a broad market of readers. And that's kind of what the start of a revolution is all about isn't it?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
There was an interview on CNBC around 1 pm today with the NYT guy and the CNBC anchor mentioned how the ebook revolution was supposed to happen 10 years ago (he still has a ereader from then in a drawer somewhere)...

The main problem which was emphasized by both the anchor and the NYT reporter is that publishers and distributors do not want to cannibalize print sales so they are not going to sell ebooks cheap. The verdict as mentioned, Sony Reader, nice step forward, for geeks and niche markets...

The bottom line to me is that unless something forces publishers into ebooks as music/movies studios were and are forced into online content by mp3's and broadband respectively, not much is going to happen in the ebook world.

So to a large extent the Tower of Babel and drm are less of a problem than a symptom, and we better hope that Google digitizes everything and reaches a licensing deal with major publishers like they did in the YouTube case, or that cheap automatic book scanners are going to come to market...

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well the good thing is, the masses turn more and more into geeks as well (iPod, digicams, smartphones...).
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Has anyone had luck showing a p-book reader their reader and having them say "wow - I must have one"? My experience so far has been more of "I don't know why you would want that - I like paper."
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Everyone at work drools over mine. But I do work in IT as a programmer, so maybe it's the sector.

I've had other people say the "paper is better" thing until they see the screen, and then they have to at least grudgingly admit that it's very easy to read and no glare. I think people have been burned reading on computers and automatically assume that this is the same thing, just in a portable computer version. Once I (gently) explain the E-Ink technology, they start to realize it's "wow factor."
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G
Has anyone had luck showing a p-book reader their reader and having them say "wow - I must have one"? My experience so far has been more of "I don't know why you would want that - I like paper."

I showed my Mum. She was disappointed that she can't borrow books from me anymore. Even a total technophobe like her can see that it's a great idea and it's very easy to read from.

I think it has to be seen to be understood.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
People I showed it to thought it was neat, but what's it for? But after they play with it a while, they want one, and even talk about taking one to the beach. They also pointed out that while they have an emotional attachment to paper, that the next generations coming up won't have as much of that. In my mind, it's really a price thing right now that is the hurdle. But additional responsiveness and other technology improvements will help also. It's such a big step forward.

Now if we could only get masses of people to play with it and get used to the new e-ink screen look!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
I showed it to my graduate student today who was wowed by it. She was interested not merely to read purchased books, but to read the loads of documents we have to read in academia. The idea of being able to avoid printing everything is very attractive. It is the main reason I bought the Reader, though I am deeply disappointed in the PDF viewing experience.

The Iliad is actually beter suited to my purposes given the touchscreen, but the price is just to high for a first gen device (for me, anyway).
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:36 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I sat in Barnes & Nobles' coffee shop for a couple of hours and read from mine the other day -- it's near a university so there were lots of folks around. I was shocked that not one person screwed up the gumption to ask me about it! And this is in Texas! We're friendly types down here!

Around work, folks ask me about it periodically, ineterest is mixed, except among my fellow IT folks, who love the thing pretty quickly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a feeling the Reader will be driven by the schools and universities, trying to give students an alternative to 50 pounds of books to lug around, and the tech and science sector doing the same for its workers. IF the textbook and reference makers cooperate, and the students, techies and scientists get hooked, they'll provide the market for the non-textbook products.

Of course, that was supposed to happen 10 years ago, too...

It does sound like Sony needs to put some serious work into the Connect Store, though.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I sat in Barnes & Nobles' coffee shop for a couple of hours and read from mine the other day -- it's near a university so there were lots of folks around. I was shocked that not one person screwed up the gumption to ask me about it! And this is in Texas! We're friendly types down here!

Around work, folks ask me about it periodically, ineterest is mixed, except among my fellow IT folks, who love the thing pretty quickly.
The concept of an e-book is so alien to most folks that the reading devices are in jeopardy ! This is where we evangelists come in...

SONY!... oh SONY!... yoohoooo!.. DO YOU HEAR!...You've got volunteers here!
I'll preach for you...Have done so for a good while. And oh! I need a sample...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #14
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Well, this article IS in a publication that prints on PAPER......
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
I have a feeling the Reader will be driven by the schools and universities, trying to give students an alternative to 50 pounds of books to lug around, and the tech and science sector doing the same for its workers. IF the textbook and reference makers cooperate, and the students, techies and scientists get hooked, they'll provide the market for the non-textbook products.
Steve,
You have an excellent point and Sony (as a large Corporation) should jump on this opportunity. They could get with publishers of college text books and offer a reduced price for college students. Eventually those students would spread the word through the colleges and then to the populace as a whole. That would be another evangelical branch for Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
SONY!... oh SONY!... yoohoooo!.. DO YOU HEAR!...You've got volunteers here!
I'll preach for you...Have done so for a good while. And oh! I need a sample...
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote