Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
davidrothman
Connoisseur
davidrothman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Palm TX / Nokia 770 / iPod Touch
Hi, Michele. Yes, Alex is right. Along with other e-reading fans in the States, including me, you're a victim of the DMCA--not a perp. The post was supportive of you. Stick around MobileRead, and if you want to read the TeleRead blog as well, then so much the better.

Meanwhile, let me agree with others who say the DMCA isn't being enforced. But it could be, and I'd rather not be a test case. This is indeed a very scary law. And I'm not kidding when I talk about Hollywood-bought copyright laws. On the issue of copyright term extensions, you can see some specifics at:

http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=1841

Thanks, and happy e-reading.

David

(who, by the way, got rid of the extra L in your name in the TeleBlog post)
davidrothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #17
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

It pretty much comes down to getting caught and the odds are greatly in your favor of not getting caught converting a book you paid for into a format of your choosing.

I agree with an earlier poster in that I too have absolutely no moral qualms in changing the format of a book I paid for to one i prefer.

I am thankful to countries that sell or produce freeware that allow me to do this and cannot be shut down by our laws.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 10-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #18
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
So should I assume that a free program would be capable of converting multiformat LIT files (unencrypted), but not Secure Microsoft Reader files (encrypted) - such as ebooks offered on a site like Fictionwise?
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #19
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, PRS-505, Kindle 3,Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Michele — Yes.

I find the ConvertLIT GUI easier and better to use than clit but, of course, I aint posting a link here. You should find it if you search in Google. It's the DukeLupus one.

ABC Lit converter - which is also free - don't do a very good conversion in my opinion. It needs too much editing on the resultant file.

Also, as others have said - BookDesigner 4 will also do this for you but I haven't got around to trying this yet.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 AM   #20
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is really interesting.

Okay, I purchased an emagazine from fictionwise today, in multi-format. I downloaded in 3 formats, to test: LIT, PDF, PDF with large-print.

Using ConvertLIT GUI, I converted the LIT file to HTM, then using htmltortf to RTF. I then increased the font size in the document and it reads fine on the Reader. But in practice, it's a pain to find the beginning of each story, article, etc, without first paging through 600 individual pages and "marking" the beginning of each.

I was pleased to see that the PDF files were formatted as single pages. The magazine format is *much* more accessible in PDF form, because there are links to the invidual articles, stories, etc. in the Table of Contents, and the large print version is great for the Reader. It reads as normal-sized type in the Reader.

For the longest time I thought the Reader was crashing when I tried to open one of these PDF files, but it turns out that there was a 3-4 minute delay upon opening it. After that it seems to be less slow. There are a lot of links embedded in the text, which is what makes the PDF format so perfect for the Reader.

The Reader really lends itself to an e-magazine like Asimov's or Analog - it's perfect for reading short stories and articles while on the go.

(Does this belong in a different thread?)
Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Michele, I think most people follow your procedure for reading DRM-protected content on devices that don't support DRM and/or don't offer the e-book in their content store.

ContentLIT (and also its offsprings) is intended exactly for this purpose and in this regard you should be OK (in most countries at least) by exercising your fair use rights.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #22
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I've not used any of the tools mentioned, nor do I own any lit books to test them on, but if a good conversion is possible I'd buy some. Personally I don't buy DRM stuff unless a) I know in advance I can remove the DRM, or b) I'm 100% sure I'll be able to use said format on any device, forever. So ironically, the ability to remove DRM results in an increase in sales to THIS customer. I don't redistribute - I just like interoperability.

Anyway, I noticed you converted from .lit to HTML... HTML has the ability to hotlink within the document - does it lose the linking in the .lit when it converts to HTML? There must be a way to convert from HTML to PDF, I would think, that would likely keep the linking? For larger works that I hope to read on the Reader (when I finally get one), linking within them would be critical (like being able to hop where I need to in a Shakespeare "complete works" type of deal).

One could also alleviate this problem somewhat if Sony would just put a search capability into with a firmware update or something. Remembering a part of a quote from a book is frustrating if you don't have any idea where exactly to find it. Does the Connect software you use to manage your library on the PC have a search capability, at least?
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #23
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlik
Anyway, I noticed you converted from .lit to HTML... HTML has the ability to hotlink within the document - does it lose the linking in the .lit when it converts to HTML? There must be a way to convert from HTML to PDF, I would think, that would likely keep the linking? For larger works that I hope to read on the Reader (when I finally get one), linking within them would be critical (like being able to hop where I need to in a Shakespeare "complete works" type of deal).
When you convert it (back) to HTML you have all the linking of the original LIT file. Basically a LIT file is nothing but a container around some Open eBook (OEB) content which is based on XML / HTML.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
For the longest time I thought the Reader was crashing when I tried to open one of these PDF files, but it turns out that there was a 3-4 minute delay upon opening it. After that it seems to be less slow.
Are you using the Connect Software to load the file on the device, or a memory card?

I ask because you ought to see faster results if you run your PDF through the Connect Software and let the PC do all that formatting/indexing for you, as opposed to the memory card route, which makes the much slower processor in the Reader itself do that work.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #25
Michele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Are you using the Connect Software to load the file on the device, or a memory card?

I ask because you ought to see faster results if you run your PDF through the Connect Software and let the PC do all that formatting/indexing for you, as opposed to the memory card route, which makes the much slower processor in the Reader itself do that work.
No, I'm not using a memory card. I'm not sure what you mean by running the PDF through the Connect Software, though. I just dragged the file into the Connect library, and then into the Reader. Does "importing" it do something different? I've been wondering for awhile how to get the Connect software to prepare the files, because I'd read something about that capability before I got my Reader.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
What you describe (dragging the file into the Connect Library, and then onto the Reader or a card in the Reader, or just a card attached to the PC, actually) should get the Connect software to do its thing. It does its processing when you drop the file in the Library, as near as I can tell.

I'm not sure why it would take the Reader time to open the rascal after that, unless it's a particularly big or complex file. Hmm.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #27
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MBA, DVP11
I think it's a pdf thing. Rtf files are much faster when imported through the Connect software because it does the book preparation on the PC instead of the Reader.

But pdf files probably work about the same either way, don't they?

I think pdfs that are primarily text formatted for the Reader page size should do pretty well, but complex pdfs will take a while to process. Definitely can be in the minutes. When I did that, I'd load it on the SD card, pop it in, maybe open the document (can't remember if it processes when it sees it or after opened), and then got busy with something else while I waited.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #28
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura aboutCthulhu has a spectacular aura about

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
This is probable an inappropriate forum for my little rant, but the discussion of Michel(l)e's possible illegal activity makes me want to firebomb someone's corporate headquarters. The whole DMCA and Digital Rights Management issue reminds me of a friend's reaction to his last purchased DVD. It had a little trailer that was pretty much an add exhorting people to not steal the product. The product he had just bought. Or was it on a DVD he got from Netflix? Why do so many companies assume that their customers are criminals?! I nearly *want* to make as many copies of something when I read, or hear, see something that reminds me not to break the law! Why do we have Blockbuster Video, Netlix,and the public library system if DMCA, RIAA, and every other ridiculous acronym keep trying to stop people from using their products?! I'm sorry, I really should just hit the cancel button, but after searching this site and trying to decide if I should buy this amazing SONY device, I'm going to save my money, and head to my local library
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #29
Michele
Addict

I would really appreciate it if I weren't singled out anymore when discussing file conversion. There are areas on this forum where it is discussed quite freely and in great detail without any one user's name coming up.

My original post concerned conversion details, and I wasn't expecting or asking for a discussion of ethics or legality using myself as an example, regardless of the position taken by the poster.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #30
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
I would really appreciate it if I weren't singled out anymore when discussing file conversion. There are areas on this forum where it is discussed quite freely and in great detail without any one user's name coming up.

My original post concerned conversion details, and I wasn't expecting or asking for a discussion of ethics or legality using myself as an example, regardless of the position taken by the poster.
Awwww, I was hoping you'd be the test case, the cause celebre, our Jean D'Arc of ebooking.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote