Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Pocket Pro Screen Problem

Strange thing happened to my PPro today.

I have not used my PPro during Saturday and Sunday. However, when I opened my PPro today, I noticed that the screen could not refresh properly . Only the bottom half was refreshing, and it was not even a good refresh. Moreover, there's part of the screen that was completely blank.

I attached a picture to show it to you.

I have tried the following steps to correct this problem with no success:
  1. Reset the device.
  2. Turn of the device and turn it back on.
  3. Pull out the battery for one minute, reinsert it and turn it on.
  4. Push the reset button for 10 seconds, hold it while pressing the power button on and release the reset button.
  5. Recharge it for 10 minutes to see if it's a battery problem.

The problem persist.
The only thing that I have not tried is to reflash it with the December firmware. I'm still charging it to ensure it have enough juice before reflash.

Additional information:
  1. The device was just recharged last week. It usually took 4 weeks to reduce it to 1 bar.
  2. I'm using December firmware.

Do you have any suggestion before I contact Astak? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ppro.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	49190  
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Seems like screen broke, maybe did it fall or someone drop it on the floor?
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
Strange thing happened to my PPro today.

I have not used my PPro during Saturday and Sunday. However, when I opened my PPro today, I noticed that the screen could not refresh properly . Only the bottom half was refreshing, and it was not even a good refresh. Moreover, there's part of the screen that was completely blank.

I attached a picture to show it to you.

I have tried the following steps to correct this problem with no success:
  1. Reset the device.
  2. Turn of the device and turn it back on.
  3. Pull out the battery for one minute, reinsert it and turn it on.
  4. Push the reset button for 10 seconds, hold it while pressing the power button on and release the reset button.
  5. Recharge it for 10 minutes to see if it's a battery problem.

The problem persist.
The only thing that I have not tried is to reflash it with the December firmware. I'm still charging it to ensure it have enough juice before reflash.

Additional information:
  1. The device was just recharged last week. It usually took 4 weeks to reduce it to 1 bar.
  2. I'm using December firmware.

Do you have any suggestion before I contact Astak? Thanks in advance!
Horizontal and or vertical bands are typical of an electrinics failure.
Never have seen a diagonal scan (and only for a portion) on a screen.

Was the unit subject to a shock or extreme temperatures?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Horizontal and or vertical bands are typical of an electrinics failure.
Never have seen a diagonal scan (and only for a portion) on a screen.

Was the unit subject to a shock or extreme temperatures?
I have, this link: http://comomcgyver.blogspot.com/2010...papyre-61.html (spanish) shows how is a v3/v5 screen thats broken and how he changed it by himself. Those lines make me suspect a posible broken screen.

Last edited by Chiron; 04-04-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
I have, this link: http://comomcgyver.blogspot.com/2010...papyre-61.html (spanish) shows how is a v3/v5 screen thats broken and how he changed it by himself. Those lines make me suspect a posible broken screen.
I suspected broken
The local Fry's has a Broken Screen (V3) on display.

Every flat panel display I have serviced (many) tends to fail in segments (except for back light failures) unless physical damaged.

Color LCD's tend to "rainbow" near the impact point.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
I think there is a chance the cable plugged into the ZIF socket isn't making full contact with all the points. A ZIF socket is a hinge that flips up and down and the cable inserts inside, then you close the hinge down over the cable.

Besides, there's no cracked glass on his display so..
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies.

The Pocket Pro was on my bookshelf the whole time, and has never been dropped or subject to pressure.

I was reading on Friday night and I put there myself. It has never been moved until this morning.

I noticed that if I pushed a button, then the lower half of the screen is refreshing as if it's changing pages. I guess I can rule out the battery problem.

Puzzled...
Old 04-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Check in with Astak Tech Support

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

The Pocket Pro was on my bookshelf the whole time, and has never been dropped or subject to pressure.

I was reading on Friday night and I put there myself. It has never been moved until this morning.

I noticed that if I pushed a button, then the lower half of the screen is refreshing as if it's changing pages. I guess I can rule out the battery problem.

Puzzled...
Dear Hapmas:

Call Astak at: 1-866-368-8788 or email: support@astak.com

I will not attempt (myself) to solve the problem; but they will be happy to try to resolve the pronlem or give you an RMA for repair/replace.

If there is no evidence of tampering or dropping (cracked or broken plastic or such) then it should be covered but Tech Support needs to make that decision. Do not be scared or anything... we are nice people.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 AM   #9
hapmas77
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Hapmas:

Call Astak at: 1-866-368-8788 or email: support@astak.com

I will not attempt (myself) to solve the problem; but they will be happy to try to resolve the pronlem or give you an RMA for repair/replace.

If there is no evidence of tampering or dropping (cracked or broken plastic or such) then it should be covered but Tech Support needs to make that decision. Do not be scared or anything... we are nice people.
Dear Robertb,
Thanks for your reply.
I will contact Astak Support as you suggested.

I love this device. I kept it near me all the time. Actually this was the first time that I did not use it for two days... Maybe that's why it's broken

I should never leave it at the bookshelf.

Oh well... I returned to my Nokia N810, but the reading experience is different.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
hapmas77
Connoisseur

Question

Quote:
Dear Robertb,
Thanks for your reply.
I will contact Astak Support as you suggested.

I love this device. I kept it near me all the time. Actually this was the first time that I did not use it for two days... Maybe that's why it's broken

I should never leave it at the bookshelf.

Oh well... I returned to my Nokia N810, but the reading experience is different.
So, I e-mailed Astak Support, and receive a quick response from Ruby.
We arrange for RMA (RMA#RL0407RP1) and the payment. I sent my PPro to Astak and on April 14, I received notification from Astak that they are sending the repaired PPro back to me.

Now... it's been 22 days since the notification and I have not received my PPro back.
If I track the label via USPS website it still said:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on April 14, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

I checked to my local post office to no avail. No such package.
I e-mailed Ruby and Astak support, but no answer.

So guys, i need your advice: Is it normal for USPS not to update the package status after so long? If not, whom should I contact: Astak of USPS?

Thanks,
Alvin
Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on April 14, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

So guys, i need your advice: Is it normal for USPS not to update the package status after so long? If not, whom should I contact: Astak of USPS?

Thanks,
Alvin
Depending wich country do you live, thats normal. One time i waited 36 days before getting a parcel (from Hong Kong to Mexico) but you might want to clarify this with Astak/Your postal service.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Send me a PM

Quote:
So, I e-mailed Astak Support, and receive a quick response from Ruby.
We arrange for RMA (RMA#RL0407RP1) and the payment. I sent my PPro to Astak and on April 14, I received notification from Astak that they are sending the repaired PPro back to me.

Now... it's been 22 days since the notification and I have not received my PPro back.
If I track the label via USPS website it still said:

Thanks,
Alvin
Dear Alvin:

Send me a PM with your real name, mailing address, and email. Let me try to track it down. PLEASE provide your RMA# which Ruby should have provided to you before you sent the unit back to us. Do not worry. Let us see if we can find out where it is.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #13
hapmas77
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Depending wich country do you live, thats normal. One time i waited 36 days before getting a parcel (from Hong Kong to Mexico) but you might want to clarify this with Astak/Your postal service.
@Chiron: Wow! that's a long time.
I purchased books from amazon from time to time and it usually arrived in 3 weeks. But that's normal shipping, not priority mail international parcel as Astak provide.

Anyway, Robertb asked me to PM him for my details. I hope this can clarify it.

To Robertb: Thanks! PM Sent.

Alvin.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
Robertb

Searching for it now.

Quote:
@Chiron: Wow! that's a long time.
I purchased books from amazon from time to time and it usually arrived in 3 weeks. But that's normal shipping, not priority mail international parcel as Astak provide.

Anyway, Robertb asked me to PM him for my details. I hope this can clarify it.

To Robertb: Thanks! PM Sent.

Alvin.
Dear Alvin:

Delivery where you are can be a nightmare. We are trying to find out where the unit is and why it has not gotten through. Tracking where you are is god-awful also. This may take a little time to try to trace this out. I wish I had better news. We are calling some high contacts we have at USPS to get an update.