Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #61
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.
 
Posts: 137
Karma: 1936
Join Date: Aug 2006
Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01
When I tried to change the font size for a "local" string (a word or two) I found that when I selected the text to be changed, the Configuration-Fonts tool was minimized. I could not maximize the "Change Font" tool unless I removed the selection/highlighting of the words for which I wanted to change fonts. I was thus unable to change the FONT for a selected text string. Change Font worked well for global changes although the reader decides on its own which font types to display, irrespective of how I selected a global font. I was also unable to set the COLORS for a local text string using the "set colors" tool. As long as I had a character string selected the Set Colors remained minimized. Perhaps I am doing something wrong???
To be true, I do not know what it is wrong: I have tried to reproduce the "minimized" effect on several comps with different windows - everything is ok. What windows are you running?

As for the global BD font, it is ignored in lrf because the LrfMaker has its own global font assignment (styles -> paragraph).
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #62
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.
 
Posts: 137
Karma: 1936
Join Date: Aug 2006
Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govinda
Just a question, is there any tool in Book Designer for removing the page numbers from the original file?
Try Find/Replace with RegExp.

Also you can try BookCleaner (it is a tool for advanced users allowing one to perform direct replacements in the book source code). To see how the code structure looks like, use html fragment editor.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 PM   #63
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter
 
Vienna01's Avatar
 
Posts: 123
Karma: 142
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland USA
Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
MEA CULPA. I do not now have (and never had) a problem with using the Font or the Color tools. I had the main frame filling the screen and forgot that these tools might be behind the main frame. I tried the program again today and no problem at all. Sorry if I caused you extra work. GREAT PROGRAM.
VIENNA01 ( That username refers to Vienna, Virginia USA not Austria)
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #64
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.
 
L1Wulf's Avatar
 
Posts: 49
Karma: 27
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Device: nook
I tried reinstalling Book Designer on my (relatively) fresh install of Vista (32-bit) last night anticipating that I will need it very soon, but I just couldn't get it to produce anything (Reader, RTF). I could load the files OK and read them in the main window of BD, but everything I tried failed miserably. I apologize for not taking notes on error messages, screenshots, or anything else that might of been useful, but it was quite late (which certainly didn't help), I was tired and I just wanted it installed so I could go to bed. I tried installing 4.0, then copying the 4.5 (?) update and the 5.0 update into the program directory. I also tried 4.0 to 4.5 (which failed to even run). And a straight 4.0 install. Last, I tried 4.0 to 5.0 (skipping 4.5) and still had no luck.

This morning I was determined to get it to work. I tried "run as Administrator" (from the program directory since there was no option to do it from the desktop icon). I tried changing the output directories to a folder under the user namespace (c:\Users\L1Wulf\BDOutput\Reader and so on). Finally, I uninstalled, searched again through the wiki and this post to see if I was missing something obvious. I went to the Book Designer Blog (after translating of course ) and downloaded the Reader Parser and took a deep breath...

This time around, I installed directly into the user namespace (c:\users\L1Wulf\BookDesigner), did the 4.5 and 5.0 updates and copied the new parser over. I changed the output directories to the user namespace again. I should have tried it after this, but I didn't, instead I went to the configuration settings and selected reformat completely (on a whim) then I loaded a book and gave it a shot. It worked! I went back to configuration settings and reset everything to defaults (are the defaults on fresh install different from what is set by clicking "default"--it seemed to me that it changed more than what I did originally) and tried again... and again it worked.

I don't know what I did right this time, but it is working now and I am again a happy reader. I haven't fooled around much with it yet, but from what I've seen just on the make ebook screen and the corrector sidebar, I'm duly impressed.

VVV, thanks for making such an incredible and powerful application for everyone to enjoy!
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #65
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes
 
Posts: 131
Karma: 24870
Join Date: Oct 2006
Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Wulf
I tried reinstalling Book Designer on my (relatively) fresh install of Vista (32-bit) last night anticipating that I will need it very soon, but I just couldn't get it to produce anything (Reader, RTF). I could load the files OK and read them in the main window of BD, but everything I tried failed miserably. I apologize for not taking notes on error messages, screenshots, or anything else that might of been useful, but it was quite late (which certainly didn't help), I was tired and I just wanted it installed so I could go to bed. I tried installing 4.0, then copying the 4.5 (?) update and the 5.0 update into the program directory. I also tried 4.0 to 4.5 (which failed to even run). And a straight 4.0 install. Last, I tried 4.0 to 5.0 (skipping 4.5) and still had no luck.

This morning I was determined to get it to work. I tried "run as Administrator" (from the program directory since there was no option to do it from the desktop icon). I tried changing the output directories to a folder under the user namespace (c:\Users\L1Wulf\BDOutput\Reader and so on). Finally, I uninstalled, searched again through the wiki and this post to see if I was missing something obvious. I went to the Book Designer Blog (after translating of course ) and downloaded the Reader Parser and took a deep breath...

This time around, I installed directly into the user namespace (c:\users\L1Wulf\BookDesigner), did the 4.5 and 5.0 updates and copied the new parser over. I changed the output directories to the user namespace again. I should have tried it after this, but I didn't, instead I went to the configuration settings and selected reformat completely (on a whim) then I loaded a book and gave it a shot. It worked! I went back to configuration settings and reset everything to defaults (are the defaults on fresh install different from what is set by clicking "default"--it seemed to me that it changed more than what I did originally) and tried again... and again it worked.

I don't know what I did right this time, but it is working now and I am again a happy reader. I haven't fooled around much with it yet, but from what I've seen just on the make ebook screen and the corrector sidebar, I'm duly impressed.

VVV, thanks for making such an incredible and powerful application for everyone to enjoy!
It's due to the file protection on "Program Files". Not even administrator can write to files there (only "installer") and BookDesigner does a lot of temp file writing. The best bet is always to install it somewhere in user space.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #66
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.
 
L1Wulf's Avatar
 
Posts: 49
Karma: 27
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Device: nook
But I had changed all output to the user namespace the first time around (since I had already thought of the reason you mentioned which is also the reason why I changed the install destination--I just am not keen on doing this on a regular basis; call me silly but I'd like to keep my installed programs in "Program Files" with the default Vista protection in place ). Perhaps the temp files are hard coded to the temp directory?

Just took a look at the temp directory as it is currently installed and I noticed that there is several subdirectories (numbered 1-3), some of which contain .html0 files. Would I be mistaken in assuming these are the intermediate files used when converting the original file to BM native format?

If so, then it disproves the possibility that Vista's protection is disabling the writing of temp files there since each test book I tried converted fine to the native format (ie I could open a PDF and view the converted text, make changes, etc), but would not "make ebook" to RTF, or Sony Reader.

Now it bugs me to know what exactly is keeping it from working...but not enough to uninstall and reinstall back into the "Program Files" directory since I suspect I will have to just reinstall back to where it is at now in the long run.

Incidentally, I can no longer open unprotected MS Reader files (.lit) as it throws an error on clit12a.exe (12a???). The error dialog must be in Russian as it comprises mostly of question marks on my system. The following is from the event viewer for the error:

Quote:
Faulting application clit12a.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x3e12334c, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0006715c, process id 0xb28, application start time 0x01c74fa14f7a13f0.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #67
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.
 
Posts: 137
Karma: 1936
Join Date: Aug 2006
Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Wulf
Incidentally, I can no longer open unprotected MS Reader files (.lit) as it throws an error on clit12a.exe (12a???). The error dialog must be in Russian as it comprises mostly of question marks on my system. The following is from the event viewer for the error:
lit files are unpacked to the root directory of the logical disk where BD is installed. Maybe this is the reason.
To be true I do not remember why I am unpacking lit files in such a way. But there were some reasons...
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:05 AM   #68
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.
 
L1Wulf's Avatar
 
Posts: 49
Karma: 27
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Device: nook
Ah, that might explain it then. Thanks for the insight! Perhaps if I ran as Administrator... If that works, I'll be sure to post back on it.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #69
Stingo
Evangelist
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Stingo's Avatar
 
Posts: 473
Karma: 1152385
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Miami
Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I appologize for not reading the whole thread due to time restraints but have others noted an issue with embedded graphics? I tried converting The Virgin of Small Plains which I had in HTML mode. I tried from both HTML and RTF. In each instance it cut the chapters short wherever there were inline graphics. It did not seem to have a similar effect with graphics in front of chapter titles. Where it abruptly ended the chapter it normally shows about a dozen garbage characters. I ended up having to read into wordpad and then save as RTF (in order to preserve chapter title bolding).

Is this a known issue? Thanks.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #70
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.
 
Posts: 137
Karma: 1936
Join Date: Aug 2006
Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo
I appologize for not reading the whole thread due to time restraints but have others noted an issue with embedded graphics? I tried converting The Virgin of Small Plains which I had in HTML mode. I tried from both HTML and RTF. In each instance it cut the chapters short wherever there were inline graphics. It did not seem to have a similar effect with graphics in front of chapter titles. Where it abruptly ended the chapter it normally shows about a dozen garbage characters. I ended up having to read into wordpad and then save as RTF (in order to preserve chapter title bolding).
Try to import your html after checking the following boxes in Settings: re-format completely, keep pictures, keep styles. This is a special regime allowing to process html files without ms word.

Send me your html to valerii spmtwin.net.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 65,567
Karma: 44144193
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Sorry to be dense, but could someone tell me what needs to be downloaded to use this program, please? I've looked at the web site, but I'm unable to find any description of it in English, and unfortunately I don't read Russian.

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #72
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes
 
Posts: 131
Karma: 24870
Join Date: Oct 2006
Device: Sony PRS/505
I tried French, and it now keeps my extended characters pretty well, I only really have one more issue with this software, it seems to strip all & characters out of my original RTF.

R&D becomes RD, this would probably not normally be an issue, but baen's military scifi uses a lot of &
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #73
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
RWood's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,233
Karma: 1601464
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Sorry to be dense, but could someone tell me what needs to be downloaded to use this program, please? I've looked at the web site, but I'm unable to find any description of it in English, and unfortunately I don't read Russian.

Thanks!
As to installing the program, download the base set of BookDesigner40 and install it. This sets up the framework for the program in Windows. Then in turn download and copy to the folder in "Program Files" the following updates: Bd_Update_2006_09_13, Bd_Update_2006_12_19, and Bd_Update_2007_01_29. This will give you the latest updated version.

There is a file in the Help subdirectory called DesignerHelpEng that can load into Book Designer. (All of the graphics seem to go away and are replaced by red "X" signs if the file is viewed in anything other than Book Designer.) From there it can be viewed or saved as required.

It is a good program with a few quirks; but, it does produce very nice output.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #74
vvaann
Enthusiast
vvaann began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 27
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Sorry to be dense, but could someone tell me what needs to be downloaded to use this program, please? I've looked at the web site, but I'm unable to find any description of it in English, and unfortunately I don't read Russian.

Thanks!
I do read Russian. You need to download the main program
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/request.php?8

and the last update
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/e107_f...2007_01_29.zip

Install the program and extract all files from the update to the BD directory. That's all - have fun.

Last edited by vvaann; 02-26-2007 at 04:23 PM.
vvaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:45 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 65,567
Karma: 44144193
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Thank you!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bookdesigner

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firmware Update Can I reinstall the official amazon update after the update file from this site ? yuenslhk Amazon Kindle 2 06-20-2010 12:24 PM
Update on Google eBook Sales Plan Update poohbear_nc News 6 05-05-2010 10:00 AM
BookDesigner SirWesley Software 4 05-20-2009 07:08 AM
PRS-500 What file to change to re-update reader with latest update? pitolee Sony Reader Dev Corner 2 05-25-2007 12:56 AM
Where to get BookDesigner SciFiReader Sony Reader 2 03-29-2007 04:29 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.