Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitja_i
vga 480x640? I don't believe it.
<old, quavery voice>Back when I was a boy... </old, quavery voice> I seem to remember my first 10" monitor having resolution something like this, I think mine was an HGA, but this corresponds to ... um, EGA or CGA ... EGA I think. (head scratch)

I assure you that we could read text on our monitors even back in those dark days of low resolution and nine-pin printers!

In fact we could also read text on the "composite" monitors that were basically television screens.

I agree that this is fairly low resolution for these days, but it probably is serviceable enough, if you don't mind being able to see the pixels.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
For "oldies"

Wikipedia Display Resolution

More pictures http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40871

Last edited by Slava; 10-07-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, thank you, Slava, for supporting my elderly memory!
Old 10-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #19
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I agree that this is fairly low resolution for these days, but it probably is serviceable enough, if you don't mind being able to see the pixels.
The main advantage of Sony Reader is it's DPI, which is almost as a laser printed page = normal paperback book (at least that's how the owners like to describe the reader). This is the reason it can replace p-books.

BTW I did use a hercules CGA monochrome (orange/black) monitor. Thank god that's ancient history!

But I very like the idea of flipping pages with a narrow black strip going past the screen. I heard many users of Sony reader complain about whole page going black and to text again.
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitja_i
But I very like the idea of flipping pages with a narrow black strip going past the screen. I heard many users of Sony reader complain about whole page going black and to text again.
I got used to the black-flash thing pretty quickly, but I agree, the sort of black-band sweeping screen update would be interesting -- especially if it went top to bottom, so I could read the last line while it's updating the first.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #21
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
... especially if it went top to bottom, so I could read the last line while it's updating the first.
See, you did it again, that was my thought exactly
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
I think this yummy device deserves its entry in our Wiki:
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Fuji..._Color_E-Paper
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #23
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MBA, DVP11
Very nice Alex!
We're going to have to create another matrix for LCD readers like the Panasonic pretty soon also. ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Very nice Alex!
We're going to have to create another matrix for LCD readers like the Panasonic pretty soon also. ;-)
Something like "Future e-book readers matrix"... I agree
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:20 AM   #25
donkaarlos
Junior Iliad User
donkaarlos began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad GONE - kindle & Kyobo
The Wiki info was interesting! So it is not a colour e-ink display with Toppan colour filter as some of us thought. But it is a competing technology, which is more like a static LCD display:

“display composed of three cholesteric liquid crystal films (red, green, blue) attached to one another”

Compare: http://www.kentdisplays.com/

Some example products that have used this technology are: Panasonic Sigma ebook, Kolin/Argosy i-library..
donkaarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:05 AM   #26
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
Upload photo is a 2003 color SCC LCD sample with 65536 colors (16-bit color)
(The 4 grey SCC LCD is now used in the kolin/argosy EBK reader or Jinkie wolf reader.)
In 2006, the size became about 6 inch with 640*480 pixel and 1 second paging time.
However, no money to support the development and product.

BTW, I saw 2 comparison photo of Fujitsu device and iLiad in the wiki
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Fuji..._Color_E-Paper

What are your opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	color SCC LCD.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1783  

Last edited by segatang; 10-09-2006 at 06:10 AM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #27
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, compared to the fujitsu, the iLiad seems to have a bright white paper
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #28
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Is that fujitsu real or a concept mockup?
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote