Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
What I'm looking for in an eBook reader

I've been lurking for the past few months, waiting for all the major devices to be released, trying to decide which one I should buy. It's about time I spoke up, since I haven't seen anyone in my situation.

I'll start by saying, I hate paper, and all things hard copy. I do everything online, and seldom even open my paper bills. I'd like to go completely paperless in life. I have 3 desktops and a laptop (1 Windows, 2 Linux, 1 Mac), all of which I'd want to add documents from depending on the situation.

I work as an IT Manager. So it seems that I'm always needed to print out technical manuals about hardware and software, and bringing them with me. I also have drawers full of network documentation, IP Addresses, network passwords, etc. I imagine I'd be doing a little book reading on the device, but mostly would want to use it as an alternative to printing. Because of this, it would be nice if there was some security built into the device (Password, etc)

Just about everything I have is in either PDF (8.5x11), Word (8.5x11), or on the web. My eyesight isn't great, so I want everything to be readable without straining (a problem with some paperback books after prolonged periods), but I don't want it to be too big to where I'm always scrolling.

As far as I can tell, the illiad is my best choice because of the increaseed size and resolution. Does anyone else use an eReader for the same purpose as me?

Last edited by Adam B.; 10-03-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Adam (welcome onboard, btw!), it seems the iLiad is your choice. Especially if you want to read full-sized PDF documents, for which the bigger screen of the iLiad is just made for. On the other hand, if you rather read a lot of fiction/non-fiction paperbook content, you may just as well save the money (and potential stress with buggy software) and go with the Sony Reader.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'll skip Sony

If I could have bought a Sony Reader 3 days ago, I would. Now, after some thinking, I have decided that I definitely want ability to search inside text and to find a dictionary/thesaurus entry for a selected word. I can live without integrated light, sound and colour. iLiad could be the answer but I would not pay for it more then 300€ or $350.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
WaxMan
WaxMan began at the beginning.

Device: none yet...
Simialr position to both Adam B and Mycropht. I have a mix of PDF A4 docs, text files and a subscription to Safari books, I also have PDF copies of all my hard copy RPG's and being able to carry them around with me sounds fantastic. The prospect of reading any of these on todays 3" PDA's is not at all interesting.
Aside from the size the battery life issues put me off if I am able to I can read for 10+ hours and having to stop due to low power well .
Next searching and interactivity is paramount somthing to replace flicking through a 30 page paper to find that paragraph/diagram, thinking about opening a single page at a time makes hardcopy very attractive.

Lastly Price, I have little spare cash and well £400+ for a device (ie iliad) is to much or the £500+ for a laptop which is to bulky and waaay over powerd of £1200+ for a tablet still over powerd if not so bulky. If there are any suggestions for this device I am all ears.

You know a N770 with a slightly larger screen and higher resolutionwould do at around £150
WaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
For my work I'm also waiting for an A4 color eink reader. A turtle, energy saving device, with the same functionnalities as an Iliad is perfect. For ebooks, all the others are OK.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
WaxMan

Sorry yvanleterrible I have to ask but what is "A turtle, energy saving device,". All i can thing of is tefflon coating helps movement or motorised tracks etc..
Old 12-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Slow display refresh rate and time, low processing power, low tech computing. This is what I meant with turtle.

Every device and computer maker is always cought up in creating "racing equipment" where speed is a necessary selling factor. When you use a reading tool you don't need speed, most of the time the device is waiting for you. I agree that some times you need a certain speed rate to get to your document or picture, but that is minimal, this device would not be for movies, there are other more useful things for that. Speed is not an issue here and SONY is the first to aknowledge that.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
WaxMan

Right and yes totally absolutly agree, infact an in negotiation with my boss for an old PIII 600Mhz sony laptop that is here and un used. Perfect step between desktop and dedicated e-reader, if only the screen on it could be reversed .

Well speed being slow yet large storage capacity both long (flash) and short term (ram). The OLPC project looks like it would make an extreemly sutable device for an interactive e-reader, with its reversable screen cpu hibernation and low power requirements as well as decent DPI.
If they were to redesign the case to make a comercial tablet format device well I think TBH that may well rock the ebook world.