|03-25-2010, 01:31 PM||#31|
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I've had lots of gadgets on which one could read over the years, but they never suited me for anything of any size. I used Psions for reference material, and read "Huckleberry Finn" on a Nintendo DS (as an experiment, really), but my PRS-900 is the first device that has actually replaced paper for most of my reading. Now, I wouldn't use paper if I could get away with it - certainly for text-based stuff like novels.
So, lots of devices that could be ebook readers, but only one which actually performs that role for me.
|03-25-2010, 01:34 PM||#32|
Join Date: Jun 2008
Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Desktop PC (gone ages ago and forgotten)
iPhone and again iPhone 3GS
Kindle 1, Kindle 2
MacBook and MacBook Pro
I await the iPad
|03-25-2010, 06:07 PM||#33|
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NW Washington State, USA
EZ Reader Basic - This is the device I normally use the most, but it's currently on loan to my mom (trying to get her hooked )
Laptop PC - The first device I used for reading, normally not used for that much anymore, but in use right now in place of the EZ Reader.
iPod Touch - Normally I just use this when I'm running errands and want to have something light to carry for the odd few minutes of reading while waiting, but like the laptop it's getting a little more use than usual right now.
Kindle 2 - Just briefly when a friend and I were comparing devices.
My hope is to get my mom hooked enough that I can justify giving her my EZ Reader Basic and replacing it with a Pocket Pro!
|03-26-2010, 11:15 AM||#35|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Device: Kobo Aura (soon), (soon-to-be-ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Counting only devices used as dedicated readers, I've had:
|03-26-2010, 11:54 AM||#36|
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Maryland USA
Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Ok let see how this goes
1. Psion 3
2. Palm Pilot
3. Palm IIIx
4. Palm trio
5. Palm trio color
7. Sone Clie NZ90
8. Psion 5mx
9. IPaq travel companion
10 Sony 500
11 Ipod Touch
I would like to see Nate the Great's list. If I remember right it should double mine.
|03-26-2010, 12:08 PM||#37|
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Norfolk, England
Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Sony Clie SL-10 (hi res but poor contrast LCD)
Sony Clie SJ-20 (excellent mono LCD)
Sony Clie Sj-30 (excellent colour LCD, but not as good as the SJ-20 in sunlight)
The Clies were good, SJ20 was probably the best. The Nokia has too small a screen. The iPod Touch I haven't give a proper trial.
CyBook was good, but fragile. Sony is good, but heavy. Kindle is good, but bulky - currently my main reader.
But ePubs are the future. The formatting can be so much better than with Mobipocket.
So I'm on the lookout for something that does really good ePubs, with a better display and form factor than the Kindle.
The Mirasol and Electrovista displays look very interesting, especially the high resolution of the Mirasol. All I have to do is wait for it to be in production in a machine I like.
Last edited by pdurrant; 03-26-2010 at 12:11 PM.
|03-27-2010, 07:12 AM||#39|
Man Who Stares at Books
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 50th State, USA. Also, PA, NY, CA, and elsewhere.
Device: All of the Above
The usual suspects- Sony's newest readers, iPod, Kindle 2, and iPad (on order), but the reader I would really like to set up is a laptop connected to a 50 inch widescreen LCD or LED display via an HDMI port, with the whole shebang controlled through a wireless keyboard. This would be used in the bedroom, where I would normally watch a DVD movie. Reading is more fun now, with so many download options. I guess the word is convergence. Thanks to many board members who have posted obscure and not-so obscure ebooks on the web. Without their effort, books would not be experiencing a renaissance of renewed interest. Long live books, and sorry for being late to the party (i.e., in adopting ebook readers).
|03-27-2010, 11:18 AM||#40|
Join Date: Oct 2008
Device: Kindle Voyage/Galaxy S4/iPad mini
1) eBookwise, purchased in 2005. My first ebook reader, bought after I read a review of it at AAR. I loved the backlit screen the most, because it was convenient for reading on long car rides. Died last summer for no reason I could ever determine--overuse, probably.
2) Sony 505, purchased in 2007. I bought this because I liked the idea of e-Ink. I liked having many more books at my disposal compared to the eBookwise. I didn't like some of the antics I've been experiencing with the machine over the last several months--spontaneous reboots which only got worse. However, I unexpectedly stumbled over the solution to the problem by converting all of my ebooks to ePub instead of lrf. Now the machine's working great *knock on wood* and hasn't rebooted itself in almost two months. And with the LightWedge cover, I can take it with me on long car trips, too.
3) Sony 600. I bought this when I started having problems with the 505, but despite my initial liking of the device, I haven't been using it much. After more thorough use, I don't like where the page turn buttons are...come to think of it, I don't like the page turn buttons, period. I might sell this device soon.
4) Kindle 2. I bought this in November when the refurbished US-only models were available for $189, and if Amazon ever gets off their behinds and allows for the creation of folders, this might become my favorite device.
5) iPhone. I bought this about a month ago, and I thought I'd hate reading on it--tiny print, constant page turns. To my surprise, it's not as bad as I thought, and it'll come in handy if I ever do decide to just go with the Kindle because of the screen.
6) Desktop PC. Urgh. Back when I only had the eBookwise, I couldn't get a book to convert to that format. I was forced to read the book on my PC, and I hated having to sit in my computer chair all day.
|03-29-2010, 07:09 AM||#41|
YODA's Uglier Twin
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Just the 1 .....
If anyone wants to GIVE me another .....
For Scientific Testing purposes you understand
|03-29-2010, 01:51 PM||#42|
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Quincy, MA
Device: Sony PRS T1, Samsung Note 2, Samsung GMP 5, Nexus 7 32GB
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|What ebook readers don't do||Elfwreck||General Discussions||18||09-08-2010 12:47 PM|
|Hi. I am New and I need help with ebook readers!||lauranchad03||Introduce Yourself||11||03-15-2010 11:54 AM|
|Hello there, eBook readers||Chuckyjch||Introduce Yourself||5||12-14-2009 07:46 PM|
|Ebook readers in the UK?||madmandegge||Which one should I buy?||30||08-26-2008 12:25 PM|