15 hrs 2 2.53%
20 hrs 7 8.86%
20+ hrs 64 81.01%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #16
Morbius
Morbius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I'm not clear on what we're asking for here...are you trying to find out how many hours the battery lasts during actual, solid reading time? Or just how long it lasts overall from one charge to the next, idle time and reading time combined? I mean, I have no idea how many hours I've actually spent reading on it...I don't really track that. I can say I've done at least some reading on it every day since I got it on 10/1/2006, probably only averaging about 45 min a day, and the battery still shows as being fully charged.
Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
We're trying to get an idea of how much "on" time it gives us, I think. So basically time spent actually reading, and any spent lying around on, but not being actively used would qualify. That's what I'm building my estimate on, anyway. Most of it will end up being actual read time, I think.

I hope to be able to vote Monday or so, now that the weekend is coming and I'll have a bit more reading time.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 10-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #18
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
I cannot explain it, but here it is
1) Yesterday noon, I noticed that battery indicator shows 3/4 of charge
2) Yesterday evening and today morning it shows full charge
3) I have not charged the reader

If I were Sony, I would add some "piezo charger" under page turns button. So while happy user is flipping pages - Reader gets charged

To Sony: Umm, if you decided to do that, don't forget who came up with the idea, ok? I don't need much, just every new gadget you release ... for free of cause
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
I cannot explain it, but here it is
1) Yesterday noon, I noticed that battery indicator shows 3/4 of charge
2) Yesterday evening and today morning it shows full charge
3) I have not charged the reader
At a guess you're floating around the 75% mark, and with only 4 blocks of resolution on the battery meter, turning the Reader off for a while gives it enought "rest" to convince it that it's above the 3rd block. It'll probably flutter around a while before it decides that you're really down to only 3 blocks. All my guessing, mind you.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #20
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MBA, DVP11
I've seen that a lot with all kinds of batteries... they seem to "recharge" themselves slightly when off for a while. But it doesn't usually last too long.

Remember the battery indicator is probably just a volt meter for the battery power level which drops voltage gradually as the charge fades until it's not enough to power the device. Not sure, but isn't that how it works? So after being off, the battery can, for some reason, be "rested" and supply a little extra juice for a bit.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist

That's essentially correct, as I understand it, Bob, but I'm a ways from my training in that area. I seem to recall that effect called a "surface charge" -- it can make a completely dead car battery read 12 VDC to a voltmeter. It has the voltage, but no current to back it up for any appreciable time. At a guess (my training didn't even include the theory behind this in the first place), it's a matter of electrons collecting at the (negative) contact point and showing an increased potential. Perhaps there's an actual practicing EE out there who can expand on the bits this thoroughly non-practicing, former EET mis-remembers.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #22
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It looks like noone has run down the battery of his or her Reader yet, coz I see no votes
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:02 AM   #23
donkaarlos
Junior Iliad User
donkaarlos began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad GONE - kindle & Kyobo
Thumbs up

This thread looks good. Seems, that in normal use there is no significant battery discharge. This is just the way it should be! There is probably no real point to have exact hours battery life.
donkaarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #24
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Yep, this is great.

Now, teach the iRex Guys how to do this...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #25
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Perhaps the poll should be changed to how long it takes to run down a single bar
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist

Thumbs up Okay, I'll vote first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G
Perhaps the poll should be changed to how long it takes to run down a single bar
Not a bad idea

As the first (to my mild surprise) voter, let me say that I'm now well past the 20 hour mark, both with fairly heavy reading use, and deliberately leaving it on when I lay the Reader down and leave it, so that it turns itself off after 60 minutes. I have had it connected to the USB for about 20 minutes (cumulative time), or about 1/18th of the nominal USB charging time, and I've waited several extra hours to vote. (If 20 minutes is enough to keep it this charged for that kind of usage, I call it a big "win")

The battery meter's reading after all that? 4 blocks. Yup, still reading fully charged.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #27
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Or may be we should count page turns? Otherwise it would be very hard to get battery time in hours. Unless Nathan can devote himself completely just for reading untill battery dies
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
Unless Nathan can devote himself completely just for reading untill battery dies
Sadly, I cannot.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:48 AM   #29
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, apparently Sony has done a good job this time...

I really eny you guys. I like my Iliad, but the fact that I always have to tug a charger around and can actually watch the battery-meter move downwards sometimes is just plain annoying. I hope iRex will put a bit of effort into getting this working...-(
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #30
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Wow - battery life does seem nothing short of phenomenal. Originally was thinking of re-charging once a week. Now, maybe once a month? Being on the West coast, if the "big one" hits, this is one device I want with me!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote