Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #76
Cutestory
Voice of Reason
Cutestory began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505
Some not-so-good news from the Sony Style store in Los Angeles. The person I talked to this morning says they were allocated 20--which are gone--and they're not sure when they're getting more in...

But this afternoon I talked to someone else, and she said they're expecting some "at the end of the week."

I can't even get a straight answer from the same store!
Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #77
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MacBook Air
I wonder how much of the demand for these readers comes from us crazy folk at the MobileRead community, as opposed to the general public just seeing it and wanting one?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 10-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #78
Gantrioch
Gantrioch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader System, 27 October 2006.
Called Borders.

I called Borders this afternoon and as soon as I said "Sony Reader," the sales associate said "Oh, we do have those coming in but they won't be here until November." And he did reassure me that they were definitely getting them.

Of course, I don't know whether that November time period was just something the company told him to say or if that's really when that store was getting them but it was nice that he knew immediately what I was talking about, haha.

The Borders that I called is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Anyway, maybe the Reader that I ordered from SonyStyle.Com will get here before Borders gets them in stock :-).
Gantrioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #79
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, Droid X, NC
Me: Hi, will you be carrying the new Sony e-book Reader?
Bordersmonkey: Yes, sometime in the future.
Me: Any idea when you will be getting them in?
Bordersmonkey: I'd need an internal Borders number to check for an arrival date in the computer.
Me: How do you find out the internal Borders number?
Bordersmonkey: Oh, we won't have those until the Reader arrives.
Me: . . .
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:52 AM   #80
geekraver
Addict
geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.

Device: iPad,Nexus 7,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutestory
Some not-so-good news from the Sony Style store in Los Angeles. The person I talked to this morning says they were allocated 20--which are gone--and they're not sure when they're getting more in...

But this afternoon I talked to someone else, and she said they're expecting some "at the end of the week."

I can't even get a straight answer from the same store!
The 12 that I was selling came from that store. I doubt they really know when they're getting more. I was back in the Seattle store this afternoon and they told me that they are backordered, and they have no idea how long it will take, that they are having a hard time getting them, and didn't expect them for a few weeks at least.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:41 AM   #81
Cutestory
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
The 12 that I was selling came from that store...
Eeesh. I wish you'd left a couple for the locals...
Old 10-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #82
geekraver
Addict
geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.

You locals were buying them too fast - in the 30 minutes between me asking them to hold the 16 they had and actually faxing them my credit card details they were down to 12. So you probably would have missed out anyway! :-)

I may try get some more if I can; I've sold all the ones I had, about a third in the UK, two in the US, and otherwise everywhere from Denmark to Hong Kong. If nothing else this may help evangelize the technology.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #83
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
UK customs is holding mine up. It's been sat there for 3 days now. Hopefully I can get some movement out of it during the weekend.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #84
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I heard that Borders received a company wide broadcast yesterday about the Sony Reader. It is going to be availabe in 280+ stores across the country and should appear in late October to mid November. I think if you call Borders now, you might get someone a bit more knowledgeable.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #85
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
UK customs is holding mine up. It's been sat there for 3 days now. Hopefully I can get some movement out of it during the weekend.
Same here, two days already. I don't think I will have it before Wednesday.

I think I will be the first one in my country to get one of these.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #86
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

The wait is killing me, and there's no way in heck I'm paying some evil (read: enterprising) Mobileread member $500+ for a device that costs $350. Hurry, Borders. Get them in already!

And darn Minnesota for not having a Sony store in the state.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #87
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
If you can wait, WilliamG, the Borders in Woodbury is carrying them.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #88
Cutestory
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
You locals were buying them too fast - in the 30 minutes between me asking them to hold the 16 they had and actually faxing them my credit card details they were down to 12. So you probably would have missed out anyway! :-)
Speculate all you want, if that's what lets you sleep at night...
Old 10-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #89
geekraver
Addict

The Sony Store in the Mall at Millenia, Orlando FL, has 3 readers left if anyone is in that area.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #90
geekraver
Addict

Tampa store in FL has one.