Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: How important is backlighting to you in an electronic reader?
I won't buy one without it. 8 11.59%
I want it, but it's not absolutely vital. 15 21.74%
If the display, battery life and weight are good enough, I won't miss a backlight much. 22 31.88%
Backlights? We don't need no stinkin' Backlights! 24 34.78%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Hey, da_jane, I was looking at the results of your poll, which seem to be pretty much what you expected them to be, while the ones here are pretty much what I anticipated.

So it looks like we were right that it seems to come down to a demographic difference between your readers and the ones here.

It's nice to have the mystery solved!

That was fun, maybe we can play the concurrent poll game again sometime.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #17
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
I have an issue with polls conducted in the thread pages. Occasional surfers of this site will never see them. They should be at the top of the main page
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #18
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
yvan, thanks for the suggestion - it will be there soon among other site changes.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #19
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Thanks Alex. Feels good to be heard!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #20
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
NatCh - I think that many romance readers are women who, for various and sundry reasons, only get to read at night. They generally read while in bed. Often someone is beside them in that bed complaining about the light. Just saying.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
NatCh - I think that many romance readers are women who, for various and sundry reasons, only get to read at night. They generally read while in bed. Often someone is beside them in that bed complaining about the light. Just saying.
That makes good sense to me, da_jane.

I'm not one of those who is especially bothered by light when I'm trying to sleep, but I know others are.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #22
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
I think there are enough point light sources to illuminate your eInk reader without bothering your significant other too much.

On the other hand, i fall asleep quite often with the halogen lamp in my room still burning, until the timer kicks in. (45 minute timer to be switched on when you lay down to read. if you fall asleep - no problem, if you don't fall asleep you know it's time to stop when the light goes out)
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #23
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I do a lot of reading in bed before going to sleep and my wife goes to sleep before me so I need a lights out solution. Being a PDA reader for many years I'm used to this not being a problem. I'm getting one of those clip on lights and hoping it works out.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:20 AM   #24
kahm
kahm is on a distinguished road

Device: 505/Librie/Zaurus/iPhone
I kind of think that people who want backlights are kind of missing the point of E-Ink.
kahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #25
ddoyle777
ddoyle777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Changed My Mind

I've changed my mind regarding backlights.

I was very disappointed when I found the Sony Reader wouldn't have one. It almost kept me from purchasing it. I was so taken by the quality of the screen that I bought it anyway. Now, I'm happy it doesn't have one.

Why? I've been reading ebooks for about 7 years (my first ebook purchase was from PeanutPress in 3/99!) so I've got a few hours under my belt. My preferred device was a Palm. What I've found is that the more I read (especially at night with no room lights) the worse the headache and eye-ache in the morning. I even found a program to lower the Palm backlight to next to nothing. It helped some.

About a week ago I got a Sony Reader and now read it with my bedside table lamp on for the same amount of time as I used the Palm. But no headache in the morning.

That's a pretty big plus for me. I'm planning to try one of those clip on lights as well. But for now no backlight means no headache.
ddoyle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #26
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle777
... now read it with my bedside table lamp on for the same amount of time as I used the Palm. But no headache in the morning.

That's a pretty big plus for me. I'm planning to try one of those clip on lights as well. But for now no backlight means no headache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahm
I kind of think that people who want backlights are kind of missing the point of E-Ink.
About 40% of my reading is outside the house, and another 40% in bed. Depending on what I am reading, I use a Zaurus, Tapwave Zodiac, or an iBook -- all backlit. I am lucky enough that this does not cause me any headaches, and the lack of an overhead light helps keep my marriage up to snuff.

I don't really see why wanting a built-in light (backlight, frontlight, whatever) is missing the point. As I said, I read outside the house quite a lot, sometimes in the dark, and I do not really want to carry around lots of extra accessories.

I nearly bought a Sony when they first hit the shelves. As I have said elsewhere, the main thing that stopped me was the lack of Mac support. As I have been more conscious of my reading habits (my use of lighting, the search function - even in fiction, et cetera), I am glad I did not buy yet, and I will wait for a future solution.

Why couldn't one of the newly announced Jinkes include a light?

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #27
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble
I don't really see why wanting a built-in light (backlight, frontlight, whatever) is missing the point.
It depends on what one sees the point of e-ink as, I suppose. I see it as generally higher resolution, much lower power use, and sunlight readability. Frankly none of that has anything to do with integral device lighting. While the non-transparent nature of e-ink prevents backlighting, it's solely lack of design imagination that hasn't yet made a device with lightwedge-like integral sidelighting.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #28
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
That's what I'm trying to figure out!

Okay, so I was thinking about checking these things out, but I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! I don't want to spend alot of $ and then be p*ssed off that I don't like it. Soooooo....what does everyone else suggest? I don't mind spending the $, but only if it's worth it. The only thing I'll do is read with it anywayz
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #29
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I don't need no stinkin' backlight!

I have a Book Owl Light for when I need it, but that is not often.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote