Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.
 
Xochipilli2012's Avatar
 
Posts: 101
Karma: 38
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Seeking recommendations for integrating Calibre database with the Pocket Pro folders

Hey Gang,

I prefer Calibre to manage my books on my Sony PRS-600, as it capably works with the meta-data that fuels the Sony's "collections."

I'd like a way to leave Calibre's database alone, including the nested folders, eBook files, and cover images, but be able to use it as a source for books on the Pocket Pro organized by folders (in place of "categories").

I know Calibre recognizes the PP as a Hanlin V, but as the PP will display the folders that wrap Calibre's books, I find the whole thing a bit unwieldy. I've tried the "save to file" options in Calibre, but again, even when you specify a specific format, other "files" (as in "folders") come along for the ride, and most be drilled through to access the book files.

I am by no means a Calibre "power user." Far from it. So there may well be a way using only Calibre to accomplish the following:
  1. Add a new tag to books in Calibre I want to place on the Pocket Pro, organized with dedicated folders. Perhaps tags like "PP-Classic_Fiction" and "PP-Roman_History" for "Classic Fiction" and "Roman History" folders, respectively.
  2. Anything tagged with a "PP-" would already be pre-converted to whatever format I like most for the Pocket Pro (it may turn out to be FB2 is the new firmware solves some of the current problems).
  3. Then, I could use Calibre's "Save to File by Format" command, and send all the titles in one category to a dedicated folder on the PP. I can almost do this now except that each file is transferred nested within its Title and Author file structure within the Calibre DB.
  4. I'd like to send just one file per title, the one pertaining to the eBook of that pre-determined Pocket Pro friendly format.

Can this be done with Calibre? If the command line offers more options, I'm cool with that.

If not, are there other tools that can manage my PP books in a database that can be lightly organized by author, title, and perhaps genre, that could copy from the Calibre DB into a temp folder structure elsewhere that could then be transferred all at once to the Pocket Pro? I suspect someone has already done something like this...and while I'm not much of a programmer, it seems a little app could be written in Python or Perl that could help me do this.

I've read some people using versions of Windows Search (I'm using XP at the moment), but I'd like something that is more dedicated to this kind of task.

I welcome your collective insight.

Thanks y'all!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,097
Karma: 5939999
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (The original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Hey Gang,

I prefer Calibre to manage my books on my Sony PRS-600, as it capably works with the meta-data that fuels the Sony's "collections."

I'd like a way to leave Calibre's database alone, including the nested folders, eBook files, and cover images, but be able to use it as a source for books on the Pocket Pro organized by folders (in place of "categories").

I know Calibre recognizes the PP as a Hanlin V, but as the PP will display the folders that wrap Calibre's books, I find the whole thing a bit unwieldy. I've tried the "save to file" options in Calibre, but again, even when you specify a specific format, other "files" (as in "folders") come along for the ride, and most be drilled through to access the book files.

I am by no means a Calibre "power user." Far from it. So there may well be a way using only Calibre to accomplish the following:
  1. Add a new tag to books in Calibre I want to place on the Pocket Pro, organized with dedicated folders. Perhaps tags like "PP-Classic_Fiction" and "PP-Roman_History" for "Classic Fiction" and "Roman History" folders, respectively.
  2. Anything tagged with a "PP-" would already be pre-converted to whatever format I like most for the Pocket Pro (it may turn out to be FB2 is the new firmware solves some of the current problems).
  3. Then, I could use Calibre's "Save to File by Format" command, and send all the titles in one category to a dedicated folder on the PP. I can almost do this now except that each file is transferred nested within its Title and Author file structure within the Calibre DB.
  4. I'd like to send just one file per title, the one pertaining to the eBook of that pre-determined Pocket Pro friendly format.

Can this be done with Calibre? If the command line offers more options, I'm cool with that.

If not, are there other tools that can manage my PP books in a database that can be lightly organized by author, title, and perhaps genre, that could copy from the Calibre DB into a temp folder structure elsewhere that could then be transferred all at once to the Pocket Pro? I suspect someone has already done something like this...and while I'm not much of a programmer, it seems a little app could be written in Python or Perl that could help me do this.

I've read some people using versions of Windows Search (I'm using XP at the moment), but I'd like something that is more dedicated to this kind of task.

I welcome your collective insight.

Thanks y'all!
Use the "Luggage tag" in Calibre to filter "AND" your "PP" friendly tags.
Now you see the items that are PP friendly.

You need to set the "Hanlin V5 Device Interface plug-ins" preferences to the
formats and order you prefer.
Send to device will only send the first available on the list.
Send to Disk requires you to choose the correct format OR you get all formats

Setting the Save to templates, controls the folders and file names that will be used.
There are a few threads here covering possible Calibre templates (Note: some recent added features have changed what we can now do in path names)

Donate to Kovid, if you haven't . It keeps him working on improvements.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.
 
Xochipilli2012's Avatar
 
Posts: 101
Karma: 38
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Thanks theducks! I figured there was probably a way to do it. And honestly, I knew about some of the settings you described, but didn't have the patience to parse through all the options, so long as I was getting books onto and off of my Sony...which was pretty darn easy with Calibre.

And yes, I have donated to the amazing Kovid--even before I got my Sony...because I knew from fishing around inside Calibre that it was a hell of an application...and I was barely acquainted with it at the time. (I just wish it ran faster on my 5 year old HP in XP...though I'm familiar with some of the reasons why it....doesn't.)

Thanks again!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,097
Karma: 5939999
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (The original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
(I just wish it ran faster on my 5 year old HP in XP...though I'm familiar with some of the reasons why it....doesn't.)

Thanks again!
Get Ubuntu

Calibre (not the version in the repositories) starts up about in 1/3 the time it does on XP pro on my Dell P4-3.2-800FSB (I have tweaked A/V exclusions as far as I dare with safety in mind).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.
 
Xochipilli2012's Avatar
 
Posts: 101
Karma: 38
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
I really like Linux - I've played with SuSe, Mandriva (Mandrake at the time), Debian, Slackware, Fedora, and a couple others. However, these days my only working computers all run Windows as I need them for work. I'm hoping to put together a Linux box by summer, and I'll give Ubuntu a serious look. I think I may have tried a "live" version at one point, but didn't find it as easy to configure (at that time) as Knoppix. Thanks again for the tips, man!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,097
Karma: 5939999
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (The original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
My Laptop and main Desktop both Dual boot.
Caution: Make sure you use lower case title names (or don't change book name after import) in Calibre if you mount a Windows: Calibre Library (Mounting a Ext3 FS is not easy) and use Calibre Linux (File not found: case sensitive).
Redmond runs lots of RH Linux in their server rooms
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.
 
Xochipilli2012's Avatar
 
Posts: 101
Karma: 38
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
I guess I'll try coming at this from a few different angles. I took a look at some of things in the Windows version of Calibre that (hopefully) correlate with your suggestions...but I seem to be too tired to make enough useful sense out of it all. It seems that you need to commit one device when setting Calibre up, at least insofar as preferences go. If true, I guess you could just re-configure for whatever device is in use at the time. I'll take another look at this after I've had some rest. Thanks for the suggestions and the info!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,097
Karma: 5939999
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (The original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
If true, I guess you could just re-configure for whatever device is in use at the time. I'll take another look at this after I've had some rest. Thanks for the suggestions and the info!
I think, the Output plug-ins now take care of that for connected devices.
The startup wizard had you select "Endless Ideas BeBook-Mini" (same hardware) originally.

I only have a PEz
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
calibre settings for output to astak pocket pro oncdoc Calibre 1 05-05-2010 12:42 AM
Calibre not seeing SD card in Astak EZReader Pocket Pro animedude01 Calibre 13 03-27-2010 10:34 PM
Calibre, Astak Pocket Pro, and foreign languages. Help! megabadd Calibre 13 12-12-2009 04:01 PM
Does Calibre recognize the Astak Pocket Pro? kennyc Calibre 50 11-23-2009 01:32 AM
EZReader Pocket Pro, Calibre, and Reading Newspapers stygian Astak EZReader 0 09-12-2009 08:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.