Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
pensaro1
pensaro1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Esperanto characters?

I have tried various tools for converting from one format to another, such as Calibre and Sigil. I can save in ePub from Open Office but get question marks instead of Esperanto characters, How do I correct that?
pensaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensaro1 View Post
I have tried various tools for converting from one format to another, such as Calibre and Sigil. I can save in ePub from Open Office but get question marks instead of Esperanto characters, How do I correct that?
You could embed a font that has those characters you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
You need a font that includes the glyphs for these characters. Check the https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361 for information on substituting fonts.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The problem is probably not the fonts, but the font mapping. Esperanto uses "eastern European" characters which are not in code page 1252, which is what's most commonly used. Works fine in UTF-8, but not in 8-bit character sets unless you use code page 1250 ("central European").
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
pensaro1

Esperanto characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could embed a font that has those characters you want.
Hi there and thanks for trying to help but as a novice I'm not sure where I should embed the fonts or even where to get them! I do have EO fonts in windows on my computer. I guess I get them from there so I need to know where to embed. Sorry if I seem ignorant but I don't do much of this.
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think OpenOffice will use UTF-8 by default for its standard ODT output. So you could try saving in ODT and then converting to ePub using Calibre.

Assuming this isn't enough to get it working with (say) Adobe Digital Editions then you need to embed a Unicode font in the ePub. Practically any Unicode font should support Esperanto. You can test your font by reading the ePub using FBReader (which allows user-specified fonts) and selecting the font from its gear wheel icon and the Styles tag. Once you know it works, I think Sigil can embed a font for you. Any of the GPL licenced fonts at Unicode typefaces should be suitable.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
pensaro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I think OpenOffice will use UTF-8 by default for its standard ODT output. So you could try saving in ODT and then converting to ePub using Calibre.

Assuming this isn't enough to get it working with (say) Adobe Digital Editions then you need to embed a Unicode font in the ePub. Practically any Unicode font should support Esperanto. You can test your font by reading the ePub using FBReader (which allows user-specified fonts) and selecting the font from its gear wheel icon and the Styles tag. Once you know it works, I think Sigil can embed a font for you. Any of the GPL licenced fonts at Unicode typefaces should be suitable.
Hi there and thanks for advice. I converted from odt to epub in Calibre and it looks OK. when viewed in Calibre but not when viewed in ADE. I'm still not sure how to embed the fonts in ePub! P.S. To show Esperanto characters on my blog I use ISO 8859 1. Does that help? P.P.S. I have just downloaded FBReader and it shows Esperanto characters no problem. Does that mean the problem is with ADE? Also I have found that in FBReader I can copy the text and paste it elsewhere. If I copy protect in the odt file will that protection carry over to an ePub file?

Last edited by pensaro1; 03-04-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
An ePub must be in UTF-8. Some readers are more forgiving and don't follow the spec closely, but ADE may well complain. Frankly, I think the best thing is for you to make a short ePub and upload it so we can see what's going on.

No, copy-protecting the ODT will not copy-protect the ePub and will probably just cause more problems. Forget about copy-protection unless you have $$$$$$ to spend on a content server for a DRM-scheme that's already cracked.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
An ePub must be in UTF-8.
It can also be in UTF-16, both LE and BE.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
pensaro1

Quote:
An ePub must be in UTF-8. Some readers are more forgiving and don't follow the spec closely, but ADE may well complain. Frankly, I think the best thing is for you to make a short ePub and upload it so we can see what's going on.

No, copy-protecting the ODT will not copy-protect the ePub and will probably just cause more problems. Forget about copy-protection unless you have $$$$$$ to spend on a content server for a DRM-scheme that's already cracked.
Hi to charleski. I have been experimenting. I can create in OpenOffice and save as epub using a plugin tool. The result can be read properly in FBReader but not in ADE. I have also created a file and saved as odt which I then convert using Calibre. This also reads OK in FBReader but not in ADE. How do I upload the files so you can see?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensaro1 View Post
How do I upload the files so you can see?
If there are no copyright issues, just attach the epub to a post.

I don't think there is any doubt that the problem is with the default Adobe Digital Editions font. If you want to solve this problem for all devices (i.e. have your ePub work everywhere) then you need to embed a font in the ePub. If you just want to read on your own Reader, then it may be possible to copy a font to the device and slightly modify the ePub's CSS to use that font without actually embedding it.

Any Unicode font that is licensed to allow embedding will likely do, see Unicode typefaces and look in the table for a named license type (GPL, OFL, ...). I think all you need is Latin Extended-A, so any of these fonts will work.

Last edited by wallcraft; 03-05-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
pensaro1

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is with ADE but for what its worth I am attaching the 2 files I created. Perhaps I'll follow this up with Adobe but its not now so important. I will also check out the fonts as suggested. Thanks to everyone for advice.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Esperanto1.epub (2.1 KB, 344 views)
File Type: epub Esperanto2 - Unknown.epub (3.1 KB, 347 views)
Old 03-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem lies with the plugin you're using to create the epubs.

Firstly, it's not creating a valid structure with all the necessary components.
Secondly, it's doing something screwy with the encoding that is stopping ADE from recognising it (I noticed the xhtml was endoded without its BOM, which may be part of the issue).

I recreated the epub in Sigil and the characters show fine in ADE. My advice is to ditch this plugin and use something else, Sigil or Atlantis.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Esperanto Test2.epub (1.50 MB, 336 views)
Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
I recreated the epub in Sigil and the characters show fine in ADE.
They do show up, but this is using an embedded font:
Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Charis";
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: normal;
  src:url(../fonts/font004.ttf);
  }

@font-face {
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: bold;
  src:url(../fonts/font001.ttf);
  }

@font-face {
  font-style: italic;
  font-weight: normal;
  src:url(../fonts/font003.ttf);
  }

@font-face {
  font-style: italic;
  font-weight: bold;
  src:url(../fonts/font002.ttf);
  }

body {
        font-family: "Charis"
  }
Nothing wrong with that, but it is why the characters show up correctly. Does Sigil automatically include an embedded font?
Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #15
charleski
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
They do show up, but this is using an embedded font:
The characters in question are not included in ADE's encoding set (as specified in appendix D of http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDFReference16.pdf), so you have to embed a font for the glyphs. The problem is that despite embedding a font in the epub he posted the characters still don't show up, even though the font is being used. The plugin's output is mangled in some way that is confusing ADE.

Given that the plugin is also messing up some other things (there's no ncx file and the opf is missing required metadata entries) I don't think it's worth using.