Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
edabxv
Member
edabxv began at the beginning.
 
edabxv's Avatar
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ,USA
Device: kindle
Unhappy Trying to add table of context to MOBI

Hi,
just starting with e-reading, so verry novice.
Will make my question short:

I converted text to a mobi and loaded to my Kindle 2, so far so good.
Decided to add TOC and stuck. Reading various posts and forums did the following:
- converted mobi to html with mobi2html.exe
- added h1 & h2 to an html version
- converted html to mobi
- loaded into my kindle
- no TOC, TOC option is grey - not selectable

What I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for reply
edabxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 35,949
Karma: 17041886
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by edabxv View Post
Hi,
just starting with e-reading, so verry novice.
Will make my question short:

I converted text to a mobi and loaded to my Kindle 2, so far so good.
Decided to add TOC and stuck. Reading various posts and forums did the following:
- converted mobi to html with mobi2html.exe
- added h1 & h2 to an html version
- converted html to mobi
- loaded into my kindle
- no TOC, TOC option is grey - not selectable

What I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for reply
I know this requires more converting, but it will work a lot easier..

Take that HTML and convert it to ePub using Calibre. Once you get an ePub with a ToC, convert that ePub to Mobipocket and you'll have a ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 516
Karma: 470
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Kindle 3, Bebook
When edditing the HTML file you can easily add the TOC when you are using Word. It is much more flexible to do it this way. You do not have to use fixed tags and names. When added with Word you will have the TOC as soon as you create the Mobi file from the HTML. You can use the BookCreator Template to automate the task

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter
 
AFK_Matrix's Avatar
 
Posts: 108
Karma: 112
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Crawley, UK
Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
When edditing the HTML file you can easily add the TOC when you are using Word. It is much more flexible to do it this way. You do not have to use fixed tags and names. When added with Word you will have the TOC as soon as you create the Mobi file from the HTML. You can use the BookCreator Template to automate the task

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313
Also if the automated TOC creator in BookCreator fails there is a manual way to make the TOC which is what I do as I just prefer how my TOC's look. Manually type in the list of chapters. Then go to each chapter and use the Bookmark feature of word (Can be found on the Insert Menu) and place a bookmark at every chapter. Go back to your TOC list hightlight each chapter and then go to hyperlink, pick the bookmarks you have created and there is your TOC.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 516
Karma: 470
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Kindle 3, Bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Also if the automated TOC creator in BookCreator fails there is a manual way to make the TOC which is what I do as I just prefer how my TOC's look. Manually type in the list of chapters. Then go to each chapter and use the Bookmark feature of word (Can be found on the Insert Menu) and place a bookmark at every chapter. Go back to your TOC list hightlight each chapter and then go to hyperlink, pick the bookmarks you have created and there is your TOC.
You can even automate that more or less.

Simply go to the chapter, select 'Title' from BookCreator (Or use ALT-T ) and that line is formatted as a Chapter Heading. When you have done that for all chatpters go to the place were you want the TOC to appear and select Create TOC.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
edabxv
Member
edabxv began at the beginning.
 
edabxv's Avatar
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ,USA
Device: kindle
Thanks everybody.
used steps by Matrix, not because he is a fellow SciFi addict, and it worked.
Convoluted I may say:
- load .doc into word->manually assigned h1 & h2-> created TOC
- loaded into mobipocketcreator-> build .prc
- with Calibre converted .prc to .mobi
- loaded into Kindle
- enjoyed my reading
edabxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
slm
Useless
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 230
Karma: 481862
Join Date: Feb 2003
Device: Kindle1, Kindle 2, Jetbook, EZ Reader EZ pocket pro, ipad, archos 5 ch
You didn't need to convert from "prc" to "mobi"
The prc file is exactly the same as a mobi file--the different file extensions are historical: technically a "prc" file which has some type of data in a format suitable for a Palm. Mobipocket data is only one type. However, the "prc" file that Mobipocket produces is a real mobipocket file. You can just change the extension and go.
slm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
edabxv
Member
edabxv began at the beginning.
 
edabxv's Avatar
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ,USA
Device: kindle
Thanks,
but actually I found that I do need to convert from prc to mobi.
without conversion documant does have a TOC, but menu options still don't have it.
after running conversion from prc to mobi, i have actual TOC and TOC option on the menu.

Thanks everybody. As I'm just starting, have a lot of other questions, but will open new threads.
edabxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Table of Contents RTF > MOBI daxmon87 Calibre 12 10-09-2010 12:46 AM
Table of Contents - html to Mobi problem thames Calibre 3 06-02-2010 07:24 PM
[Calibre]Table des matiere .mobi ? androgyn3 Software 14 01-13-2010 09:46 AM
pdf to mobi table of content issue magphil Calibre 2 08-27-2009 12:06 PM
PRS-500 Can I add a table of contents to a given lrf file? harpum Sony Reader Dev Corner 0 07-13-2007 08:36 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.