Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your views on illegal copying?
All illegal copying of books is wrong 43 13.83%
It's OK to copy a book that is Public Domain in a different country 134 43.09%
It's OK to copy a book if I bought it new in print (I've paid the author) 172 55.31%
It's OK to copy a book if I own it in print (I own a paid-up copy) 180 57.88%
It's OK to copy a book that is not published electronically (I can't buy it) 125 40.19%
It's OK to copy a book that is not published in my country (I can't buy it here) 124 39.87%
It's OK to copy a book if the author is dead 79 25.40%
It's OK to copy a book if I think that the author is rich 19 6.11%
It's OK to copy a book from mainstream publishers 17 5.47%
It's always OK to copy (information wants to be free) 61 19.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #106
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
No, I've said that it's wrong - i.e. not OK. I've just said that it's not theft.

Where did I say that it's OK to take something that you don't own?
When you said it's okay to download an electronic copy of a paper book you own.

It is not your right to download it without the permission of the owner. Just because you can doesn't make it right and to me I call that theft.

I really don't want to argue this more so I'm going to bow out of the discussion. There is no need for me to justify my beliefs any more than it is for you. I stated my beliefs in the second post in this thread.

I'm off to do some reading.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #107
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

I'm off to do some reading.
Just make sure it's something you bought (where appropriate)
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 02-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #108
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Just make sure it's something you bought (where appropriate)

Yep. Thanks. Probably something bought used from Amazon.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #109
Ralph Sir Edward
Gentleman & Cynic
Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook/Openinkpot, CYbook 3rd gen awaiting RTF software upgrade
Quote:
That's a very good point. Why are publishers not prosecuting second-hand book shops?
In the US, they tried. And they lost. Many years ago. The result was the first-sale doctrine.
Ralph Sir Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #110
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EBW-1150, Sony PRS-700BC, Sony PRS-600BC, Sony PRS650BC
Aww, Kenny, don't run off. I like reading your opinions and discussions of topics.

I'm particularly intrigued by the question of the second hand book seller. If the author and publisher aren't paid royalties on these sales, how can it be legal?
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #111
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
True, but there is only one physical copy of a particular book once it is sold or given away if the original owner wants it again they much purchase it.
True. So what? The second-hand buyer is apparently still a thief, as they're reading the book without compensating the author.

Quote:
If you had that magical ability to duplicate physical objects would it be right?
Of course it would. Also colossally socially disruptive until society adjusted to the new realities.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #112
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I'm particularly intrigued by the question of the second hand book seller. If the author and publisher aren't paid royalties on these sales, how can it be legal?
Practically speaking, because the content distribution industry hadn't purchased (or at least rented) enough lawmakers and judges.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #113
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura (soon), (soon-to-be-ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
That's a very good point. Why are publishers not prosecuting second-hand book shops?
1st sale doctrine. Look it up, or look for earlier posts of mine on the subject here at mobileread.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #114
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
In the US, they tried. And they lost. Many years ago. The result was the first-sale doctrine.
What is the 'first-sale doctrine' please? It seems like it's germane to this discussion.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #115
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
1st sale doctrine. Look it up, or look for earlier posts of mine on the subject here at mobileread.

Xenophon
I think our posts crosses Xenophon. I'll look it up!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #116
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
When you said it's okay to download an electronic copy of a paper book you own.

It is not your right to download it without the permission of the owner. Just because you can doesn't make it right and to me I call that theft.
Agreed.

Also, you could argue that the electronic copy conveys additional functionality and usage (in the form of portability, reduced storage needs, ease of backing up, etc.) that are not present in the physical book so it could be said that in order to get those additional benefits you need to buy the electronic copy.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #117
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Aww, Kenny, don't run off. I like reading your opinions and discussions of topics.

Thanks Kaz, not running off, but I always seem to end up at odds with many of the opinions so better to not argue round and round the same ol' things that always come out in these copyright/pirating threads.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #118
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EBW-1150, Sony PRS-700BC, Sony PRS-600BC, Sony PRS650BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
True. So what? The second-hand buyer is apparently still a thief, as they're reading the book without compensating the author.

Of course it would. Also colossally socially disruptive until society adjusted to the new realities.

What denotes thievery is the laws present in the society wherein the transaction took place and not public or personal opinion. The truth is as long as it meets the laws of the land, selling the second hand book or purchasing it is legal (here in the US ~ I can't speak for other countries).
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #119
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura (soon), (soon-to-be-ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
You can find discussion of 1st sale doctrine in about the middle of this post of mine. Or at wikipedia. My discussion is shorter; wikipedia's is much MUCH better.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #120
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
You can find discussion of 1st sale doctrine in about the middle of this post of mine. Or at wikipedia. My discussion is shorter; wikipedia's is much MUCH better.

Xenophon
Thanks Xenophon, I read both. Which of course led to a question that was seriously off topic - so I started a new one.... http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74418
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote