Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
MConti
Romantica Writer
MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Erotic Fiction by Monica Conti

Monica Conti is a native of New Orleans. Like the city itself, Monica Conti offers those who journey into her world remedies for sensual longings. Her erotic short stories and novellas have been providing readers with insights into lesbian love and desire for years. Now, her new novel A Verdict for Love offers a deeper look into the mysterious, animalistic and seductive lust that can underlie romance between two women. Her work, while always romantic never shies away from graphic description.

Synopsis:
Chiara Bianchi’s star was rising. Her unexpected success in defending a notorious Atlanta crime figure had pushed her to the top of what had long been a male dominated law firm. The only thing lacking in her life was love. The liberal attitudes of California and Massachusetts toward alternate lifestyles had yet to flower in her southern city. Chiara felt forced to keep her desires closeted for the sake of a career. Then Grace came into her life. Chiara fought against her growing attraction to Grace but it was a battle she lost. For a time it seemed that their relationship could remain discreet, that she could have her cake and eat it too. It might have worked had not an act of injustice forced her to choose between Grace and her ambition.

You can buy my book at: http://www.lesbiannovels.com/Erotic%...ca%20Conti.htm

XXXXXXX image deleted

Last edited by MConti; 02-21-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: image deleted
Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, MConti.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I had to delete the cover image. MR is a family friendly forum.

In case anyone is wondering, if the site is called www.lesbiannovels.com, the images are probably not appropriate for MR.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I had to delete the cover image. MR is a family friendly forum.

In case anyone is wondering, if the site is called www.lesbiannovels.com, the images are probably not appropriate for MR.

You're kidding me, right? Seriously? You deleted a picture of a nude woman kissing another woman?

You know what's NOT family friendly, the image I posted in another thread with a .38 Smith and Wesson on the cover. How come that wasn't removed? How come I haven't been asked to remove my avatar of a man holding a gun?

Last edited by Moejoe; 02-18-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added *a picture*
Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
We've had feedback from a number of members who view the forum at work. Images of naked people either don't go down well in the workplace, or are blocked. Also, members in some parts of the world do not feel comfortable about looking at images of unclothed people in a family environment. Hence our current policy.

So, Moejoe, it's not that the image was of lesbians; lesbians are fine by us. It was the nudity that was the problem.
I entirely agree with you that it's a strange world where people don't mind images of weapons but do mind images of unclad humans. But it's the world that we seem to have.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, Nexus 7
Welcome, Monica!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 650, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
You're kidding me, right? Seriously? You deleted a picture of a nude woman kissing another woman?

You know what's NOT family friendly, the image I posted in another thread with a .38 Smith and Wesson on the cover. How come that wasn't removed? How come I haven't been asked to remove my avatar of a man holding a gun?
This is sooooo funnie... and I know so many men, who would agree with you...
Old 02-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
We've had feedback from a number of members who view the forum at work. Images of naked people either don't go down well in the workplace, or are blocked. Also, members in some parts of the world do not feel comfortable about looking at images of unclothed people in a family environment. Hence our current policy.

So, Moejoe, it's not that the image was of lesbians; lesbians are fine by us. It was the nudity that was the problem.
I entirely agree with you that it's a strange world where people don't mind images of weapons but do mind images of unclad humans. But it's the world that we seem to have.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender, that wasn't even a concern, nor would it ever be. I don't even read erotica as a rule, but the arbitrary deleting of images, especially of something as inoffensive as a nude woman (not full frontal nudity mind, from the side we're talking about here) is sickening and worst of all, disappointing coming from a site like mobileread. Was the poster asked to delete the image, or was it just taken upon a 'moderator' to sanction what is seen and not seen on this site? If so, and especially if done under the guise of 'Family Friendly' then what kind of place is this? In some parts of the world women can't walk down the street unattended. In some parts of the world women are seen as nothing more than chattel. Do we now, as a community, pander to every crackpot, backward idea of decency to save the embarrassment of a few?

I take it from all this that I couldn't post a Francis Bacon nude, or a Lucien Freud or even Pablo Picasso? I mean, it must be terrifying to be an adult and see an exposed nipple, or a woman's bare flesh, but come on, it's 2010. Queen Victoria died a long time ago.

Here is La Vie by Picasso (which I assume the cover to the book was alluding toward). Is Picasso's La Vie a no go on this site? What of two men embracing or kissing? If all these are impermissible but the gun remains, then I fear this site may as well be sanctioning the ideas of those who repress and demean in favour of those who would express themselves through adult expressions of sexuality and love.

Last edited by Moejoe; 02-19-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
J. Dean
Author: Clade Josso
J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't like nudity or unnecessarily graphic violence.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dean View Post
I don't like nudity or unnecessarily graphic violence.
That makes zero sense to me. You can't like or dislike nudity. You ARE nude, we all are nude*. It's a natural state. Unless you mean you don't like any representations of nudity, which would then cut out a great deal of all art and culture since the time of the Greeks, and that's a lot of good stuff to miss out on. Dali, Francis Bacon, Picasso, Nimoy, the list goes on and on.

But... you don't mind violence as long as it's necessary and not graphic?

The mind boggles.

*although I don't make a habit of running about in this state with my floppely-doppelies flapping in the wind. And also this state of my being would never inspire art, maybe a two panel cartoon, three if I'm being generous.

Last edited by Moejoe; 02-19-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Society doesn't make sense in lots of areas.

I hope the OP didn't mind the image being removed; but I support the mods in making awkward judgment calls at times.
It's not their fault humans are weird, and it's not their responsibility to sort us out.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Society doesn't make sense in lots of areas.

I hope the OP didn't mind the image being removed; but I support the mods in making awkward judgment calls at times.
It's not their fault humans are weird, and it's not their responsibility to sort us out.
Society may make no sense in many areas, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't question decisions involving those with power made upon those without power. The moderators on this site are generally passive and do not intrude, but when they do and they make decisions utilising the power they have, they must always be questioned if you disagree with their decision.

In the case of the image removed I not only think it was wrong, but it also sets a dangerous precedent. Here are some of the things I hope are taken into consideration:

1: The thread title has the word 'erotic' prominently displayed. This would indicate any content within was of an adult nature and, if you have certain filters at work or you're culturally sensitive to depictions of sexuality, that you should not venture further. To censure the image after this is not only pointless, but it's sending a message to the community that 'you can't handle making adult decisions by yourself. We will make them for you.'

2: The image was not X-Rated. It was a nude female kissing another female, shown from side angle with no genitalia exposed. This image also had a filter applied that further muddied the overall clarity. Again, this was posted within a thread with the word 'erotic' prominently displayed.

3: Was the image removed without the original poster being informed beforehand? Now, I have no confirmation if this was the case, and I'd liked to get some clarification on this, because I find it quite a disgusting level of intrusion, especially on something as subjective as what is and what is not 'acceptable' to see on a forum that is 'family friendly'. Again I come back to my point about guns, which are never censored here, and which, arguably causes the most damage to the most people in this world.

You may think I'm over-reacting, but I find censorship about the ugliest and most damaging act one human can make upon another's work.

Last edited by Moejoe; 02-19-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: punctuation, spelling
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
2: The image was not X-Rated. It was a nude female kissing another female, shown from side angle with no genitalia exposed. This image also had a filter applied that further muddied the overall clarity. Again, this was posted within a thread with the word 'erotic' prominently displayed.
We've removed dirty jokes that contained sexual content. I do not see how this is any different.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
The moderators on this site are generally passive and do not intrude, but when they do and they make decisions utilising the power they have, they must always be questioned if you disagree with their decision.
I'd be here all day!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
We've removed dirty jokes that contained sexual content. I do not see how this is any different.
It is in every way different. This thread has the title 'Erotic fiction'. Now, wouldn't you say that it stands alone as being obviously adult-orientated? That whomever is viewing this thread understands that what is contained within will inherently be sexual?

Who are you protecting by removing this image? People who want to read erotica in the first place? It's not like the image was dumped into a general thread. And even if it was it was no more 'sexual' than any number of Beer commercials or annoying banner ads we see every day on the internet. I never experienced censure when I posted songs by the Dead Kennedys or NoFx with titles such as 'Too Drunk to Fuck' and 'Fuck the MPAA' in the 'What Are You Listening To?' thread.

The more I think about this 'removal' and the policy it represents, the more I'm annoyed at how arbitrary it is and how much it is open to abuse.
Closed Thread