Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The Apple iPad will cost no more than $ 229.35

http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=de&tl=en

... but they will sell it for over 500 USD. Who wants to finance Steve Jobs another liver?

Drug dealers doesn't necessarily have a bigger profit margin.

Last edited by joblack; 02-17-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The second one costs $229.35. The first one cost $300 million.
Do you think they've made back their investment in AppleTV? iPod HiFi? The Cube?

And sorry, pancreatic cancer isn't a joke to me. I wish a transplant could have saved my mom.
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
My mom passed away from pancreatic cancer as well.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
And sorry, pancreatic cancer isn't a joke to me. I wish a transplant could have saved my mom.
I'm not joking about liver transplants I criticize the way he got one (lets say it was really suspicious). And perhaps your mother would got one if rich people who needed one too hadn't interfered ...
Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
dreadcptflint
Enthusiast
dreadcptflint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I'm not joking about liver transplants I criticize the way he got one (lets say it was really suspicious). And perhaps your mother would got one if rich people who needed one too hadn't interfered ...
It's easy if you are a crime lord. (Tokyo Vice is a good read for the full story.)
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=de&tl=en

... but they will sell it for over 500 USD. Who wants to finance Steve Jobs another liver?

Drug dealers doesn't necessarily have a bigger profit margin.
If you have a local college, think about taking a business course. As odd as it may be to you, a company can't sell a product for the cost of the components, and stay in business. It actually cost money to develop, manufacture, transport, market and sell. If you can have a company, and pay employees (create jobs) by buying a component and then selling it for the amount you paid for it..... then you need to show the rest of the world how....

Also.... this is old news....https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73398

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 02-18-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
If you want to complain about insane profit margins, pick another target. Like Nike, Tommy Milfinger etc. Their clothes cost about $0.005 to manufacture, there is no real design involved in 90% of the products (hey ... red shirt ... logo ... done) and still they charge hundreds of dollars.

Other than that I second what Bremen Cole said.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

As far as the liver transplant goes, I can't cast a stone at Steve for his "suspicious" actions. If I were dying (or my wife/children) , I would do everything in my power to live. Any rational and emotionally healthy person would. Not everyone has the mental health of a suicide bomber....

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 02-18-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
If you have a local college, think about taking a business course. As odd as it may be to you, a company can't sell a product for the cost of the components, and stay in business. It actually cost money to develop, manufacture, transport, market and sell.
If you compare it with other companies Apple is getting an unusual profit margin. Even if you just check out the total profit before taxes Apple makes over 30 % profit over volume of sales. That's ripping people of (the same is with Intel by the way) ...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
If you compare it with other companies Apple is getting an unusual profit margin. Even if you just check out the total profit before taxes Apple makes over 30 % profit over volume of sales. That's ripping people of (the same is with Intel by the way) ...
Apple, and really no company is "ripping" people. The exception would be a monopoly, or a closed economic system. If you do not think their products are worth the price, I would suggest you don't buy them. It is a free choice in a free market economy. To me a Cadillac is just an over priced piece of junk. But the people that buy one are not being "ripped off", they are buying, and getting, what they want. Not my business, or my problem.

My Sony PRS-300 cost me $180. All it does is display text for me to read. I got Kindle for iPhone and PC for free. So why did I pay for what I can easily get for free? Because as a consumer in a free market economy I can buy what I can afford to, and not have to justify it to anyone. If I choose to buy 20 iPads and use them as paper weights, no one is ripping me off. Again, I am buying, and getting, what I want...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
There has been numerous articles on the profit margin of the iPad - it's 42.7% (or 42.9%, forgot which one it is). Reports have already stated Apple will drop the price drastically after a few months to start a buying frenzy. They want to sell to everyone who will buy at the high price, then lower it to grab more people who didn't purchase at the high price.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
There has been numerous articles on the profit margin of the iPad - it's 42.7% (or 42.9%, forgot which one it is). Reports have already stated Apple will drop the price drastically after a few months to start a buying frenzy. They want to sell to everyone who will buy at the high price, then lower it to grab more people who didn't purchase at the high price.
Good for them! If I get one (assuming the rumor info is correct) I'll wait for the price drop. Early adopters of any new and hot product always pay a premium...
Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The second one costs $229.35. The first one cost $300 million.
Do you think they've made back their investment in AppleTV? iPod HiFi? The Cube?
Yep, the cost per unit is flawed as it doesn't include the millions the spent on research and development, just the material and labor cost to build the unit now.

And besides, all products we buy have HUGE markups. That's why you see 50% off sales etc.--most of the time the store is still making a profit on that item, it's just the original price was a huge markup.

Companies exist solely to make big profits, so it's silly to complain about markups. Pay what an item is worth to you personally, and don't worry about price beyond that.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
They want to sell to everyone who will buy at the high price, then lower it to grab more people who didn't purchase at the high price.
I'd be very skeptical about that happening. I mean look at iPods. There's not being gigantic, rapid price drops on them. They tend to just up the memory and sell them for the same price as the lower memory models before.

Price has never been a concern of Apple's. Their products are always pretty expensive relative to options form competitors with the iPods, MacBooks, desktops etc. They know they have people willing to pay the "Apple tax" to own their products.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'd be very skeptical about that happening. I mean look at iPods. There's not being gigantic, rapid price drops on them. They tend to just up the memory and sell them for the same price as the lower memory models before.

Price has never been a concern of Apple's. Their products are always pretty expensive relative to options form competitors with the iPods, MacBooks, desktops etc. They know they have people willing to pay the "Apple tax" to own their products.
Are they really that much more expensive? A 32 gig Zune http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...38972&CatId=15

A 32 gig iPod touch http://www.macmall.com/s?rch&q=ipod%...ludeImage=true

Sure, the iPod is $20 more, but I would not consider that totally outrageous pricing....

Some folks like the Zune, some like iPod, some don't like ether.... people choose what they want, and buy it. No "Apple tax", just another company that provides products that some people want so they purchase them. I bought a Gateway netbook, because that's what I want. I bought an iPhone because that's what I want. If Gateway made a phone that did what I want for $100 (price of my iPhone) , I would buy it.....
Closed Thread